• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks? (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:40 am Reply with quote

Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks? (TV)

Genres: Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy

Plot Summary:
Quote:
Just when Masato thought that a random survey conducted in school was over, he got involved in a secret Government scheme. As he was carried along with the flow, he ended up in a Game world! As if that wasn't enough, shockingly, his mother was there as well! It was a little different from a typical transported to another world setting, but after some bickering,

"Mom wants go on an adventure together with Maa-kun. Can mom become Maa-kun's companion?"

With that, Masato and Mamako began their adventure as a mother and son pair. They met Porta, a cute traveling merchant, and Wise, a regrettable philosopher. Along with their new party members, Masato and co. start on their journey.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Light novel TV anime adaptation of the same name.[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

One of my takeaways from the first episode is that Masato is kind of a jerk. He not only does he seem to take her caring for him for granted, but also seems super dismissive of her in general. A lot of opinions I am seeing have pointed to feeling right that he be embarrassed and disappointed that his mother came along. But my thoughts is that it is kind of showing a negative aspect to the isekai escapist fantasy, where they could be dismissive of the people who care about them in favour of some fantasy. Some series have faced that fantasy by making the isekai journey incredibly powerful, so I am up for one that takes the route of don't throw your mum out of the story, or just look down on her.

There was a line in the preview guide of the first episode, about how you could feel sympathise if you ever had the thing like your mum interrupting your gaming session, and I can feel that. Specifically came to mind was the idea of doing a D&D session, even with my siblings, and my mother being able to overhear it, trying to do a fantasy while mum can hear all the embarrassing things. There was a particular line I found interesting in the first episode where Masato yells at his mum to not comment on the more modern stuff as she is part of the NES or Famicom era. And I think that is kind of cruel. The fantasy, game, or isekai genre is sure something that younger audiences are into for the escapist thing, but I think that it is really wrong to say that older people, like their parents, have to butt out. I haven't done so, but I think that I would be up for running as DM with mum (or dad) if they wanted to, sure it would be embarrassing, but gatekeeping would be worse.

It is like that cliché, where all adventurers are orphans or some sort of ridiculous backstory that excludes close family, using family as a prop, or other escapist reasons. It is a rule that you need them out of the story, and or the family is totally going to die. So I am up for the opposite of a cliché, maybe show that you can share in a fantasy a bit. Creating a bunch of character ideas is something I do on occasion, either synergizing for an interesting concept or make something buck cliché, such as creating the most average character (nor an orphan, no fantastic goal of being a hero other than being one, average ability, no secret darkness, just cliché breaking normal) I am actually at this point thinking the point of the game was made to target people trying to run away into escapist fantasies, such as from family, and instead bring people closer.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:40 am Reply with quote
Satomi Arai is Shirase and so far, that's the best positive for this show I can name. Everything else tripping my "incest" warning sense. After comparing my reaction to the reviews here on the site, I wonder if I saw a different series altogether. This was the one where the woman kept an entire book in her cleavage and her son "reacted" to it? "He was embarassed, you can see how his face was red." But there was no else there...

Look, Mamako is naked in next episode, Maybe they thought it would be tasteless if it was done in the first episode?

After looking online, I see the general summation on the source Light Novel is "it's a parody of incest romance series", a path that Oriemo itself walked until the creators thought "Well, if everyone wants it, let's just do it."

No fair guessing what the fan favorite ship of this series is. The whole experience is created by the Japanese government for the two to get closer. Or is it to get "closer"?
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:51 pm Reply with quote
It was kinda silly and weird, but I liked it overall. Amusing enough for me to watch this one weekly. Not a fan of the white pupils when it comes to character designs.
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:31 am Reply with quote
I love it. surprised i do..but still do.

it has a good flow, fine art style and is a classic anime with all of the bells and whistles and a cute mom. what is not to like? I am sure if one were to try to find in it, intense issues, deep development, nerve tingling drama, well go somewhere else.

but if you the top level work of J..C.Staff like i do, this is a joy and I look forward to it all week. I am happy for the edited/censored parts for J.C.Staff does not do them often and they will do them well I am sure when we finally see them in the BD. I just really do like Mom and the dynamic with her son ..it makes the show. the other characters will be well supporting. but the real fun will be the main couple.

I am so glad J.C. Staff is going strong and gave us so many fun shows this quarter. Staff Scheduling must been done by a genius or a super computer.

Can't wait for the next episode.
SomeHero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:26 pm Reply with quote
You Guys can admit it: most of you watch it for the Fansevicee Razz Maybe Picking an Girl for him is common in Japan, but i would scream in my moms Face if she would try such. (At last as an adult...). When i pick an 1,40m Taiwanese l or some 2m Guy named Thor is my decision. He should log out after Moms Prejusices against the Elf Girl, sigh.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

And that's a wrap. And now I can say what I have been feeling about it during its run, which is that it is not good, and a wasted premise. The phrase I would most use is a lack of nuance, because it kind of ends up shallow in a number of areas, and does not really make up for it. It follows through on the premise of a mother being the center, but she is just a cliché and uninteresting stereotype of a character, and it spreads to all the other mother characters, especially strongly with all the others that were added into the last arc. It was like some sort of child's idea of what mothers are like, which in general came about as annoying.

It's probably greatest offence was what it did in the Medhi arc with her mother. It becoming quite clear that her mother trying way too hard to live vicariously through Medhi, distancing her from other relationships and not actually giving her any choice, because really all about Medhimama. What was horrible about it all was that Medhi finally turning on her mother had Medhi turn into a dragon, a weak sauce thing is made to have her mother realize her mistakes, and then excuse everything she did as being under the influence of an evil mother. They had a way to have her represent a type of bad mother where convenient, and then just excuse it all by saying it was not her fault. It practically feels like it was excuse toxic behaviour, and if any young audience watching this who might have a similar toxic parent, might not do anything because it is really because they care. I really hate how "virtue signaling" this show was with saying how mothers are always the best, and you should just forgive them even if they annoy you. Medhi was in fact made the final enemy there because she was done.

And Medhi's mother left, with Medhi staying in the group, just like with Wise. I know this show wanted to do its thing, for the main character, Masato, to have his harem + mum included as the main cast, but it really kind of feels disingenuous that the arcs were all about how great mother and child are, and then shaft them. Kind of wondering if maybe it should have forgone some fanservice to maybe have their mums stay on to learn from their mistakes. It kind of feels like there might have been some bite if say Medhi's mother stayed to learn to let Medhi make her own choices, and Wise's mother some sort of closer with less toxic ideas of men and how it can effect her daughter. There could have been a whole dynamic of the mothers talking about their kids to each other in ways that are embarrassing for the three of them. No idea what Porta's deal was.

In general I think the show thought that it was smarter than it really was. Having characters act like they are aware of the cliché's like it is so witty that characters know that stuff, but to put it crudely, it kind of felt like it was jacking itself off. None of its self awareness felt insightful, with something to say about the series premise, kind of feeling like it realized it did not have enough to say about the whole mum thing, so it had half baked awareness. Masato is no Kazuma. Maybe this is some sign of being an ass hole, who wouldn't if it would work, but I kind of feel like I could give notes on how they maybe could have improved everything in this show, to make it more interesting.

First Masato, make him less of an insert nice guy, there were touches, but they should have made him an obvious snarky ass hole, similar to Kazuma, who might overuse his mother when convenient, but distance himself more than necessary. Mamako, she needed to be less of a cliché of a perfect doting mum, who gains random super power mum abilities, because it felt like she was more of a character trope than one in earnest. Keeping her overpowered would probably be important for this to be the same premise, but make her overly a pushover to her son but also so clingy that she is also chasing him away, and within that fill in a character who might have reasons to take her role so important.

Wise, she feels so watered down that I have trouble seeing what her trope even is, but I am guessing tsundere, and try hard at being seen as able. Her mother should have worked a little more clearly into being someone into women empowerment, looking down on men, and passing it on to her daughter to be seductive towards guys to get what you want. This should have made Wise kind of bad at dealing with guys, with her also rejecting her view of just controlling them, like maybe seeing what happened to her father, while also internalizing the female empowerment with how she is always trying to show off. Wise would have been into being near Mamako because she liked the kindness she places on both genders, and interested that Masato is not the idea that her mother tried to put into her. Of course also being awkward but liking the more supportive family unit the group would be. Hypothetically her mother would learn to be more open and caring.

For Medhi, if I am not mistaken I think she was meant to kind of be a bit of a mean girl, who would go from always smiling to taking jabs at people who annoy her, a sort of "bitch in sheep's clothing", which was mostly shown where her eyes would go weird like she has gone crazy or something. It kind of feels like it was a bit conflicted with this in how she was meant to be nicer than her mother, that it just felt kind of weird. I think that they should have leaned more into this, have Medhi not just fitting her mother's idea of a perfectionist, but a complicated person who can be a bit of "b word", and can get into fights with not only her mother, but be direct with everyone else. I am thinking something like Toradora's Ami, where her character gets a lot more interesting after she stopped trying to pretend to be a perfect nice girl, and would dare to do things like dare to talk back, and will say the tough things to people's face. Her mother would not be forgiven, where she would learn that she does not really know her daughter, they could learn some healthy fighting with each other, and accept Medhi's choices.

I have no idea about Porta. It kind of feels like they were working up to something, how she was vague in what her experience was when everyone else saw their mothers, but as far as it is known, she could be an orphan, or not even a real person but an AI who wants to be with the world's best mother. So my hypothetical idea with the rest, it would be revealed that Porta and her mother were set up to be traders, but her mother excluded Porta to work alone, having figured that she could be more successful without Porta always at her side. The plot then might have Porta's mother being very successful, Porta thinking that her mother abandoned her, while her mother actually thought that she was providing for her, sending money to Porta why Porta has so much resources. A lesson would be learned that wealth/success is not worth it if the parent is never with the child, and will give up high earning to be with the group, and maybe use the acquired wealth to pimp out their combined guild.

Similarly, I don't know why all the buff guys that look like standard bandits were doing in this setting either, they just kind of felt out of place as clichés of the fantasy genre, rather than people that signed up for the same thing as everyone else. They could have been other types of teens that there would be humour with them acting like bandits, or find out they were making themselves look like bandits. And or find some other explanation of why adults would have gone into this, like maybe the mother did not accept who they are like their choice of career, or their sexuality, although that sounds like too much. The gaggle of mothers from that lot were themselves kind of annoying in how cliché of mothers they were in wanting to use the emergency teleport to put washing out or something. Being a child's idea of what concerns mother have, with adult kids and in a fantasy isekai at that, was not necessary. I liked to think a bunch of mums could also enjoy themselves in the isekai adventure.

But enough of what could have been, it is not really worth much for judging what it was, but perhaps explains some of the problems with how was frustrated with what they did anyway. Not everything was a failure, it had some nice charm bits fine, and Shirase actually worked nicely, voiced by none other than Satomi Arai. I have seen some places that say the show was meant to be a spoof of certain light incest genre along the lines of imoutos, but I don't think it did a good enough job, because it did seem to cross the line a bit too much between the mother and son, losing clothes and being pressed up into each other's business. Not saying that it should not have had any mother service, milfs are a thing, but less naked bodies of child and mother pressed up would be nice. Just have things like ear cleaning to be like innuendos, and then have the middle aged women on their own show off to the camera. I totally expect dads at some point.

Anyway, to finish this off, I give a rating of So-so (5/10), it mostly had my attention, but things like the bungled Medhi arc closure, make me less generous. I expect a bit better from these sorts of things, that I can't quite call this among the better isekai anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1