• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fire Force TV Anime Debuts on Toonami on July 27

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:21 pm Reply with quote
The timing for this literally couldn't have been worse.
ECW28

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:

Yeah...Unfortunately, they had planned to announce it last week, but something held that up (hence why they’re doubling up on Attack on Titan this week)
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:54 pm Reply with quote
How does this work? Typically anime production runs right up to a few hours before air time. I can't imagine that production is continuing as planned?
Chaotic-Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:12 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
How does this work? Typically anime production runs right up to a few hours before air time. I can't imagine that production is continuing as planned?

It's very likely it will. It will probably just be a slight delay between episodes, meaning by the time this starts on Toonami, production will resume and they'll have 2 episodes to air still. If production were being entirely stopped, this wouldn't have been announced now. They'd have been informed and swapped it for something else.
Coldcherrii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm also sure that if a delay occurs during the Toonami broadcast, they will either rerun the last week's episode or air another episode of a show close to Fire Force on the block (double AoT or double Lupin).
Johnamine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Chaotic-Overlord wrote:
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:

It's very likely it will. It will probably just be a slight delay between episodes, meaning by the time this starts on Toonami, production will resume and they'll have 2 episodes to air still. If production were being entirely stopped, this wouldn't have been announced now. They'd have been informed and swapped it for something else.

But It looks more and more like the Japan airing will be pushed back further than one week.

If so, Toonami will need another anime series to fill the timeslot.
TexZero

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Johnamine wrote:

If so, Toonami will need another anime series to fill the timeslot.

It's Toonami, they're just re-run it until they have new episodes.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:

I wonder if they'll pull a Big O, and palm the whole show off on America? That way they can still capitalize on their investment while this all blows over.
jree78

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:38 pm Reply with quote
They could always delay it and put up Dr Stone or Mob Psycho II until they can show it later.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:36 am Reply with quote
jree78 wrote:
They could always delay it and put up Dr Stone or Mob Psycho II until they can show it later.

But then there wouldn’t be any point to showing this so soon after announcing it. Just a week before. This could even turn out like Space Dandy where American TV and Japanese TV get to watch the series practically on the same day or at least same week.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:25 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:

I wonder if they'll pull a Big O, and palm the whole show off on America? That way they can still capitalize on their investment while this all blows over.

I doubt they would have, unless the fire happened in the US itself. Even though it is an anime they’re broadcasting, they’re targeting a Western audience, who probably aren’t as affected as Japan and the anime community at large is.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:32 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
v1cious wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:

I doubt they would have, unless the fire happened in the US itself. Even though it is an anime they’re broadcasting, they’re targeting a Western audience, who probably aren’t as affected as Japan and the anime community at large is.

I think you interpreted the opposite of what that person was saying. "Palm the show off on America" would mean "premiering episodes in America first to help make back production costs while Japan delays their own broadcast until they feel it's ready to air domestically."

Which obviously won't happen for a few reasons, but I get why they're suggesting it.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:46 pm Reply with quote
The one thing I wonder about if Fire Force ends up getting cancelled permanently, what would happen to Funimation and Crunchyroll license contracts with the series? Would they be given a refund or something?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

The anime's official website announced on Friday that the planned airing and streaming of the show's third episode, which was planned to air late at night on Friday (effectively early Saturday morning), has been halted. The website stated it will reveal more information about the future broadcast of the show at a later date. Jason DeMarco, senior vice-president and creative director for Adult Swim, said on Twitter, "we will deal with delays if and when we have to."

Seems that what they get for airing the US series so soon after Japan's
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:17 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Murder, She wrote:

The anime's official website announced on Friday that the planned airing and streaming of the show's third episode, which was planned to air late at night on Friday (effectively early Saturday morning), has been halted. The website stated it will reveal more information about the future broadcast of the show at a later date. Jason DeMarco, senior vice-president and creative director for Adult Swim, said on Twitter, "we will deal with delays if and when we have to."

Seems that what they get for airing the US series so soon after Japan's

You say that as if having a near-simultaneous airing is inherently a bad thing. This case is a very unfortunate situation, but I really hope it doesn't discourage Toonami from trying to get more shows as close to their Japanese broadcasts as this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2