• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation President Hatta Considers Demolishing 1st Studio Building, Building Public Par

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:37 am Reply with quote
Reading this just brings it home to you what a devastating impact this tragedy has had and will continue to have for all those affected. It's heartbreaking for so many people but it's also heartwarming to see the reaction of the anime community and I hope that in the near future the money raised will help those that will need it.

I think the idea of demolishing the building and having a monument erected is a great idea.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:47 am Reply with quote
I also fully support the idea of a park and monument for the same reason as it was stated since surely noone wants to see a building that brought so much sorrow and instead makin somethin nice and a monument to remember the hard workin people that left us too soon.

Also perhaps some of that money collected from donations can serve to help build a new secure home for them where they can continue doin the things they love and bring joy to all of us viewers.
DS van Dam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:50 am Reply with quote
A memorial would be great, reminds me of ground zero. Obviously the attacks are incomparable as 9/11 had way more casualties and was a much bigger blow, but a memorial park would be a nice gesture.
soul.assassin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:54 am Reply with quote
As an aside, can anyone tell those news agencies (i.e. AP, AFP, Reuters, etc.) not to reveal the name of the perp? I bet he's craving for notoriety like others, and he should be denied the need for infamy.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:47 am Reply with quote
If I could I would be the first person in line there to put on the bricks for whatever they'll build. Crying or Very sad
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:58 am Reply with quote
It's not the first time a park will be built. After the atomic bombs dropped in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, peace parks and musuems were built. So it's not an foreign concept to the Japanese people. spoiler[I know this event does not compare to the atomic bombs and the atomic bombs are not a subject to be discussed lighly, but considering the lives lost in Thursday's tragedy, the experience and talent that was lost, the many hearts and bodies that were broken, it may as well have been as if a figurative bomb was dropped on the industry.]
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:10 am Reply with quote
I’m in two minds about this. On one hand, the second-most deadly attack on post-war Japanese soil needs a memorial for those who died. On the other, this will probably greatly increase the time for the rebuilding process, which beyond getting anime out again, would probably be a way for these poor people to recuperate.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:18 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
I’m in two minds about this. On one hand, the second-most deadly attack on post-war Japanese soil needs a memorial for those who died. On the other, this will probably greatly increase the time for the rebuilding process, which beyond getting anime out again, would probably be a way for these poor people to recuperate.

They still have two other buildings, and most of the survivors are probably too traumatized to work in the same building that almost killed them.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:36 am Reply with quote
I agree, a memorial park would be wonderful.

Gemnist wrote:

I don't see why it would add any more time to anything. That building had a major fire in it. It will be a very long time before it can be repaired and used again, assuming it even can be. The authorities will have to inspect it and it's entirely possible that the building has to be torn down anyway. Even if that's not the case the entire interior will have to be rebuilt not only because of the fire, but also the water damage from fighting the fire. It's a virtual certainty that Kyoani will lease a new building.

I'm betting it would be a lot less work for Kyoani to move to new office space, then demoish the old building and build a park. Tearing the building down and making a park is a heck of a lot less work than rebuilding a new office there.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:40 am Reply with quote
Oof, DNA testing to confirm the victim(s)? I guess I hadn't fully the condition of the bodies recovered. This whole incident continues to chill me.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:53 am Reply with quote
soul.assassin wrote:
As an aside, can anyone tell those news agencies (i.e. AP, AFP, Reuters, etc.) not to reveal the name of the perp? I bet he's craving for notoriety like others, and he should be denied the need for infamy.

The MSM have the right to reveal the name or not. I'd rather know who this evil is than let him be forgotten, it attracts complacency, it also makes for good case studies for students in the criminal justice field and of course folks like FBI Profilers who it's their jobs to peer in the minds of evil.

Anyway, I'm kind of mixed about a park, however, it may not be a good idea to rebuild on that same place because building on an area where many people died violently is an invitation for disaster, that new studio may ended being haunted in the worst ways possible. The new studio should be built somewhere else in Kyoto for good measure.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:03 am Reply with quote
On one hand, I understand not wanting to mention you-know-who by name, but on the other... I can't help but feel like that warning is promoting censorship.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:21 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
soul.assassin wrote:

The MSM have the right to reveal the name or not. I'd rather know who this evil is than let him be forgotten, it attracts complacency, it also makes for good case studies for students in the criminal justice field and of course folks like FBI Profilers who it's their jobs to peer in the minds of evil.

I don't think that the arsonist was seeking notoriety. It sounds like he was a madman seeking revenge for a perceived wrong.

I respect ANN's decision to not publish names. The names are easily found if you care to search elsewhere, and professionals studying this sort of thing have their own network of information and will probably know far more about the details than any of us ever will.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:36 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

I disagree, because think about this, do you believe that the staff would ever want to enter that build again? And work there? Ridiculous.
They need a new place to work.

What I'm conflicted is that they'll have to finish destroying the building... but I'm heard once that they japanese are not that attached to these things because they're accustomed to have their buildings destroyed and rebuild.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:25 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

There's a lot more to consider here.

For example, if the suspect has family members who had absolutely nothing to do with this, then they could become targets of harassment or be put in danger themselves by people/fans of the studio wanting revenge.

This is a prudent measure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3