• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cardfight!! Vanguard Gets New Anime Series Debuting on August 24

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:42 am Reply with quote
It amazes me this show is still on the air when it's been going since 2011. Is it more popular in Japan than NA fandom?
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It amazes me this show is still on the air when it's been going since 2011. Is it more popular in Japan than NA fandom?

The anime is a commercial for the TCG. It doesn't matter if the show itself is all that popular, as long as it continues feeding new players to the game. Duel Masters is an ongoing anime franchise and those shows haven't been released internationally in nearly 15 years. Vanguard is at least distributed in a few countries.
GVman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:51 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I can't believe this actually compelled me to log on for the first time in forever, but, anyhow, Vanguard seems to be a fairly popular franchise in Japan beyond the card games. The original cast of characters are still loved, as evidenced by how the previous Vanguard anime was a shorter remake of the original series.

I'm not entirely sure why the Japanese have glommed onto it, but, in my case, it's because of how grounded the show is. It takes its time building up to the crazy conflict that revolves around card games, rather than jumping full throttle into the insanity. The character designs are also much, much more conservative than your average card game anime, and Aichi's a very different sort of leading boy. (Additionally, the Aichi/Kai slash pairing may as well be canon.) The long and short of it is that I'm not too shocked that the we're seeing a spinoff about the childhood of the card shop owner in the show.

Anyhow, it's worth a look if you've never checked it out.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anyhow, it's worth a look if you've never checked it out.
I watched it a few times and I liked it was more of a slice of life type of card game anime than the usual stuff. It's too bad it seems like the anime never really caught on with kids in Western fandom. Are they still dubbing it? I remember they had an English dub of the original anime but I didn't see it on the Bushiroad YouTube channel last time I checked and Crunchyroll only has the subs. I remember being confused when I learned that mermaid show from earlier this year was a Cardfight Vanguard spin off.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:26 pm Reply with quote
The dub is still ongoing. It's streamed on YouTube and Amazon Prime. It also airs on TV in Australia and Singapore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1