• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: T.M. Revolution Teases Gundam Seed Film Project's Status

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:22 am Reply with quote
Apparently, my feelings for the Gundam SEED franchise really has changed. If the movie ever comes out, I'll be looking forward to it.
Hikifroggy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:33 am Reply with quote
it definitely needs a film or something to finish the Series Off. if i remember right the last anime left the series with a bitter sweet ending...
Oby

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:34 am Reply with quote
If the movie is really being made, who Kira & co. are going to fight this time? All the big opposing parties and the "pupermaster behind the scenes" namely LOGOS & Durandal factions were already defeated. The remnants of LOGOS & Durandal's loyalist with limited resources wouldn't make much of a threat unless ORB is looking for trouble again (but Cagalli already took care of it).

That said, I'll be fine if the movie is just a SoL of the established characters and delving much more into the aftermath of the war. But that won't happen since Bandai need to sell new kits and there must be mecha battles no matter what.

Maybe they'll use the Mars kingdom from the Astray manga as enemy or maybe the "Space Whales" if they want to go "full alien attack" like 00 :p
FrodoGate222

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:19 am Reply with quote
I seriously thought this movie was canned a long time ago!
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:23 am Reply with quote
It´s like Space Jesus never left us. I am game. Especially if it´s as so bad it´s good as Destiny.

All of this I obviously a bunch of hot air but I do think that Seed will come back in some form soon enough. The miserable franchise won awards in Japan, Destiny even more so that Seed, and made Gundam popular again with the younglings. Those are now stacked with disposable income and nostalgia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
merr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:47 am Reply with quote
Is this why they’re holding back the NA release of the TV series on blu-ray?
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:53 am Reply with quote
The only way to make this worthwhile is to make destiny non cannon and set it after the event of SEED.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:52 am Reply with quote
I hope it does happen. The Cosmic Era could use a sendoff to wrap up things in a more satisfying and interesting way. It used to be that I couldn't stand Cosmic Era, but over the years I've realized that it had a lot of good elements, and while it was inconsistent in its execution overall, it was often more coherent and ambitious than some of the stuff that's come since. Gundam SEED Destiny, for all its faults and shortcomings, has some of the most thought-provoking dialogue and conversations in all of Gundam.

Personally, I hope someday we get an Episode Zero OVA adaptation for Gundam Wing.

As for the SEED blu-rays, they're coming. I wonder if Stargazer and Astray will get North American releases?
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:19 am Reply with quote
I'd actually like to hear a TMR cover of those songs mentioned in the article.

On SEED, I really liked the original series, but I don't feel like it needs a movie. There aren't really any loose ends. Kira is Jesus, and he has decided to save everything. Destiny makes it abundantly clear that nobody can stop him now that he has decided to get involved. Destiny removed all the key instigators, and the extended endings show that all the sides are pretty much coming together. Any kind of opponent they whip up for a movie at this point will either amount to nothing or be a major ass pull.

I know Astray has some Mars related stuff, and I didn't keep following to see where that goes. I feel like jumping from Destiny to 'oh hey, people live on Mars too btw' and making the movie about that would be a bit much. Given SEED's really wide appeal from the tv broadcast and general interest, using a manga plot line that isn't at all brought up seems like a mistake.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:40 am Reply with quote
Oby wrote:

That said, I'll be fine if the movie is just a SoL of the established characters and delving much more into the aftermath of the war. But that won't happen since Bandai need to sell new kits and there must be mecha battles no matter what.

Sorry for my ignorance on legalese, but what does "SoL" means?
UltimateEye

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:33 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
The only way to make this worthwhile is to make destiny non cannon and set it after the event of SEED.

I concur. Destiny was a huge disservice to SEED's narratives, ideals, and characterization. I'd be more than happy to see an alternative aftermath to the Bloody Valentine War than the ridiculousness of Destiny. There's a good deal of Astray material to integrate, too.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Why is there such a big divide between the Japanese and English fandoms over the quality of Destiny and to a lesser extent the original SEED anyway?
UltimateEye

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing it has something to do with Destiny's relation to Zeta Gundam and its familiarity with Japanese Gundam fans versus Western fans.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:59 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
Oby wrote:

Sorry for my ignorance on legalese, but what does "SoL" means?

Slice of LIfe
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Why is there such a big divide between the Japanese and English fandoms over the quality of Destiny and to a lesser extent the original SEED anyway?

I've always wondered that myself. Maybe it's something cultural related, not sure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3