• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tales of the Abyss BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I still wished Funi dubbed this with all the original voice actors from the game. Sure the anime version is rushed but that couldnt be helped. At least they managed to cover all the important story events though I agree they couldve added the moments that furthered the character development of other characters.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:03 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
I still wished Funi dubbed this with all the original voice actors from the game. Sure the anime version is rushed but that couldnt be helped. At least they managed to cover all the important story events though I agree they couldve added the moments that furthered the character development of other characters.

A lot of the original actors are either too expensive to use (due to them being union) or have retired. That said, assuming they have the materials readily available, I would totally be into a dub since Abyss is one of the most popular games in the franchise, even if it’s with a new cast.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:03 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
A lot of the original actors are either too expensive to use (due to them being union) or have retired. That said, assuming they have the materials readily available, I would totally be into a dub since Abyss is one of the most popular games in the franchise, even if it’s with a new cast.

Im aware of all of that. Im just expressing a wish I've had for years since I first saw the anime version
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:07 am Reply with quote
I assume that this is for fan of the game, and as a stand-alone doesn't work? If that's the case, how does it work as a companion piece.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:45 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I assume that this is for fan of the game, and as a stand-alone doesn't work? If that's the case, how does it work as a companion piece.

It works as a stand alone IMO. You dont really need to play the game or previous games to fully grasp the story cos the anime covers it. Just that the game gives more character development.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Reading this review made me want to go back to playing Tales of the Abyss to see the theme of the story play out.

As for the quality of the adaptation, I think it would not be possible to tell the story of Tales of the Abyss without making the show a long running series. After all the studio behind the anime took a story that should probably take hundred of some episodes to cover and tried to squeeze that into a twenty-six episode show. The same could possible be said for the other adaptations of Tales of games.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1