• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cautious Hero: The Hero Is Overpowered but Overly Cautious (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:58 am Reply with quote

Cautious Hero: The Hero Is Overpowered but Overly Cautious (TV)

Genres: adventure, comedy, fantasy
Themes:

Plot Summary:
Quote:
Goddess Listarte, the savior of the super hard-mode world Gairbrunde, summons a hero to her aid. The hero, Seiya Ryuuguuin, holds the cheat-rank status, but he is ridiculously cautious. For instance, he would buy three sets of armor: one to wear, a spare, and a spare for the spare. Beyond keeping an absurd amount of item stock, he remains in his room for muscle training till he reaches the max level and fights slimes at full power just to stay on the safe side.

(Source: MAL News)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Light novel anime adaptation of the same name.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

What is this? The same day as the first episode of a funny isekai also authored by the same person as Konosuba, and successfully, there is another funny Konosuba like isekai anime? This can't possibly be true, since there were like four isekai anime last season and none of them super stood out as good, yet this is actually the third isekai I watched today that was great.

Anyway, I liked it. Hard not to bring comparisons to Konosuba in terms of an isekai comedy, but also the hero has the goddess that sent him as sidekick, and her faces are fantastic. From fist episode, Ristarte has set herself as a character that I know that I am going to love, a goofball in ways like Aqua, but not as terrible. This is certainly on my watch list.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Feels like maybe some intention that Seiya called Ristarte a useless goddess, doing so in regard to her healing, Since calling someone a useless goddess brings someone in particular to mind, who actually impressive for her healing ability. Ristarte is fun.

I like how him saving the days was countered by him using his super powerful techniques in the middle of the town to try and destroy every trace, in doing so destroying a good part of the town. Poor Jamie. And also pretty much shaking down the guy who gave him some money, kind of feeling like those times in games you can try and push for larger rewards in games, it is the morally wrong thing to do for not much more.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Starting to think that his ridiculous over cautious nature is the only real way to be a hero, since there is like no telling what stuff will show up, like possible friendly event being a danger to the party. Also, when talking about her hair being plucked, at least 100, with the question of how Ristarte would have noticed or start going bald, the camera kind of went to her waist. Was that implying what I thought it was?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

This show is just about how one can break and play the system. The physical battle with the demon lord as much as strength as immunities against instant kills or whatever. Even though it seemed like a downer ending despite world saved Seiya is killed, and Ristarte has been punished with a near impossible task of SS, it kind of in itself has positive element. Seiya's soul was not destroyed, and Ristarte can summon him for the mission, an exception against heroes going back to a world they were already killed, the implication being that the SS world is indeed her old world that they failed in. A chance for Seiya to make up for the world he did while careless.

Anyway, the show did miss out on things common for the genre, but was otherwise a great show. It was clever, and stuck to its guns in its theme of over caution, maybe making it feel like overkill, before usually showing it as caution. Perhaps something on frivolousness that this sort genre have. It kind of works itself as a weird mix between Goblin Slayer and Konosuba. But Ristarte was kind of held back from feeling like a total joke, more the main character if anything, while Seiya's character was not without being shown as a bit of a joke. It was its own balance. Although I think a little more could have been done to make Seiya feel like a character over a one trait of way too cautious.

I give a rating of Very good (8/10), even if not technically impressive, I think that it was clever and did its parody with the isekai genre. There were a lot of isekai this season, and I think this one did manage to hold its own and not disappoint.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1