• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2019 Manga Guide

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:42 pm Reply with quote
In Rebecca's review of Polar Bear, the image is from Komi-chan (this is the second time I've seen that Komi-chan screenshot appear in the wrong place. She's really trying to communicate with us, huh?)

Glad the manga guide is back! Looking forward to future reviews.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Fortunately once both Take and Uzaki come to realize that flinging Uzaki at Sakurai like a bomb of frenetic energy, the story becomes a lot of fun.

Are there words missing in the dependent clause here? Flinging Uzaki at Sakurai... what?
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:57 pm Reply with quote
The author is flinging her, at him, like a bomb. It reads perfectly fine to me?

Agree about Uzaki-chan; I read the first part and it was okay, but by the end I was dying for the next volume to get here.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Reading the flinging sentence it does seem to be missing something. It doesn't say what they realise. They realise that flinging him causes something, but the sentence doesn't say what. It reads as being unfinished.

While we're all proofreading, Faye also continuously mispelled Louvre in her review of Cats of the Louvre (except for when the title was said)
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:31 am Reply with quote
Embarassed
The sentence is poorly constructed, and it is supposed to mean what Pharmboy said. I'm afraid this Manga Preview Guide isn't the best example of my writing; doing two different Preview Guides in one month definitely had me running on empty a few times, so please bear with me!
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:28 am Reply with quote
Aah, don't tease me with that photo of the Rayearth box set! I want to see it! I wish Kodansha's social media would post previews of a fancy and expensive release like this, instead of just a bunch of digital sales. I really hope it's worth the cost, and not a bit of a disappointment like CCS turned out to be.
EndlessEmpty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:05 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Embarassed
The sentence is poorly constructed, and it is supposed to mean what Pharmboy said. I'm afraid this Manga Preview Guide isn't the best example of my writing; doing two different Preview Guides in one month definitely had me running on empty a few times, so please bear with me!

I feel you, Rebecca. That Louvre typo hits me right where I live and I am very sorry. It’s been a long month and a long year and stuff like this slips by me. Please do read Cats of the Louvre regardless, however. It’s a beautiful, gorgeous book that made me cry.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:00 am Reply with quote
Uzaki-chan was on my radar, so I'm glad to see it was well received and a safe bet to purchase. BTW, I LOVE the Manga Guide! Keep it up!
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:41 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Reading the flinging sentence it does seem to be missing something. It doesn't say what they realise. They realise that flinging him causes something, but the sentence doesn't say what.

Or does something, or is something. Basically, "flinging Uzaki at Sakurai like a bomb of frenetic energy" seems to be a long noun phrase in need of a verb, what with it following the conjunction "that". Without one, it's like saying "I acknowledge the fact that cats, and I am aware that pies."

Anyway, hope y'all get a decent breather once the guide's done.

Last edited by Shay Guy on Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
lys

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:43 am Reply with quote
marshmallowpie wrote:
Aah, don't tease me with that photo of the Rayearth box set! I want to see it! I wish Kodansha's social media would post previews of a fancy and expensive release like this, instead of just a bunch of digital sales. I really hope it's worth the cost, and not a bit of a disappointment like CCS turned out to be.

Zac posted a few more photos of the set on Twitter the other day. It does look really nice!!

I'm also happy to see the Manga Guide back again :D I bought Cats of the Louvre the other weekend, but now I realize I need to hurry up and read it!!
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:43 am Reply with quote
Any chance for Animeta?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the corrections - guide's been updated, we'll have new reviews for you shortly.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Thanks for the corrections - guide's been updated, we'll have new reviews for you shortly.

I'm getting "not found" links for Do You Love Your Mom and Way of the Househusband
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:54 pm Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:

I'm getting "not found" links for Do You Love Your Mom and Way of the Househusband

Fixed now. Having some weird CMS issues lately - I'll investigate for tomorrow's updates.
Terry Lang

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Allright! I was just about to order some manga, but now I shall hold off a little longer to see if some cool new stuff appears.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3