• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release Zoku Owarimonogatari, Kaguya-sama Love Is War Anime on BD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:32 pm Reply with quote
It’s disappointing Kaguya-sama isn’t getting a dub and I thought that show was pretty popular.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It’s disappointing Kaguya-sama isn’t getting a dub and I thought that show was pretty popular.

Seriously? Kaguya-sama not getting a dub makes ZERO sense to me.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Kaguya-sama and Bunny Girl Senpai were some of the biggest shows in their seasons, and Aniplex still refuses to listen to fans and give popular shows dubs.
They should really partner with Funimation to dub their non-action shows that they probably weren't going to dub with BZ anyways. As it stands, there is little to no reason to buy a $100 Kaguya bluray when it doesn't even have anything new that we already watched. Easy pass for me.

Also, Zoku Owarimonogatari is already streaming in French in Canada and Europe on Wakanim, it makes no sense that it still isn't streaming with English subs in the US. Especially since it had a TV cut in Japan.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:38 pm Reply with quote
The only good thing with Kaguya-Sama not getting a dub is that we won't be disappointed that they didn't cast Brad Swaile as Miyuki Shirogane. Because who else should do that voice in English?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Zoku-Owari is FINALLY solicited.

Raebo101 wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Seriously? Kaguya-sama not getting a dub makes ZERO sense to me.

AoA tends to give English dubs to anime that are big in Japan, even if they are not that popular in North America (like Granblue Fantasy). I assume Kaguya-sama did not do great in Japan. A truly bizarre strategy.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't too big a fan of Kaguya-sama, so I'm not sweating it lacking an English dub. I still wish Aniplex would cut their prices down. Seriously, who wants to spend $200 on a 26 episode anime?!
Never_Know_Best

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Were Mushishi s2’s numbers really that poor? It just seems like the only Aniplex show with a following to never see a release.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
AoA tends to give English dubs to anime that are big in Japan, even if they are not that popular in North America (like Granblue Fantasy). I assume Kaguya-sama did not do great in Japan. A truly bizarre strategy.
It seemed to do well enough for a s2 to get made and I believe the recent live action movie sold well.
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:12 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

No, Kaguya-sama sold reasonably well (by current market standards). It feels to me like it’s more that Aniplex has just been much less likely to give dubs to non-action anime. In fact, I played around a bit with Rightstuf’s filters before I started writing this reply, and the numbers bear that out. Aniplex currently has 65 “action” Blu-Rays in Rightstuf’s catalog, 23 “comedy” Blu-Rays, and 29 “romance” Blu-Rays (with some titles obviously overlapping more than one of those categories). When you set to filter for English dubs, 53 out of 65 “action” BDs have dubs, compared to only six “romance“ BDs and thee “comedy” BDs, and if you took out parts 1 and 2 of Charlotte (which is tagged with both genres) those totals would be down to four and one, respectively. Literally the only other dubbed comedy Aniplex is selling right now is Cells At Work.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I will definitely pick up Zoku Owarihime.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:48 pm Reply with quote
They'll dub stuff like Sangatsu no Lion but a 12 episode romance comedy slice of life...nope, toss it on the sub only pile and hope someone pays 200 bucks for it.

Disappointed.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I genuinely wonder what reason AoA has to still exist. Sony owns FUNi now, so why not just fold the Aniplex catalog into them?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:17 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese cast is a tough act to follow but I am disappointed they're not dubbing Kaguya-sama (as I was equally disappointed with Bunny Girl Senpai).

I guess romantic comedies, however successful/popular, just are not a priority for Aniplex.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Before even dubbing, they should fix the crap subtitling translation choices or let Crunchyroll do the subtitle translation for them instead. A lot of the choices are bizarre with no rhyme or reason. Kaguya-sama, a title with the freaking honorific in the title gets all honorifics removed in the show, AND you read the persons' name when "kaichou" is referenced instead of the proper term president/pres/chairman, which of course leads to a bizarre situation with the actual name vs the title AND you read the Chka's first name in the translation when in fact Kaguya refers to her as Fujiwara-san, not only does it make NO sense it's also inappropriate. Talk about constant cognitive dissonance. The fansubs decided to fix this with real original translation.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:50 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
The Japanese cast is a tough act to follow but I am disappointed they're not dubbing Kaguya-sama (as I was equally disappointed with Bunny Girl Senpai).

I guess romantic comedies, however successful/popular, just are not a priority for Aniplex.

just thought id throw my 2 cents. everyone always stays stuff like this, but it never really is the case. and in fact has never been the case.

it will be, and always will beta logistics issue. no one cares how the seyuu perfoms,if theres money to be found, it will be made.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2