• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Wrestling with Problems

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I’ve been quite interested in Death Stranding for quite awhile, ever since it was first announced. The trailer is keeping me very interested although I’ve been waffling back and forth if I want to preorder it or wait for it to be released and maybe even wait for a sale which Sony often has great ones. Still looks amazing.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Sugita nailed Conan's laugh perfectly Very Happy
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:35 pm Reply with quote
The Fallout 76 stuff is genuinely hilarious. Rise up, proletariat! Very Happy
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:47 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
God , gotta love the hypocrisy. So if people cancel a preorder for a game (which last time I checked you can legally do in the US, not sure about China), you call them insufferable not-so-nice-people? How does that make you any better.

I'm not cancelling anything over a port to another medium, but your condescending tone of people you don't agree with makes you as much a piece of trash. Just because someone is "an acceptable target" in your eyes doesn't give you some high ground to talk trash about people. And as "journalist" , as you clowns at ANN like to call yourselves it makes you look especially bad.

Yes, you can legally cancel out preorder for games in mainland China, HK and Macau. Online retailers and sites like Steam also accept the canceling, whether or not you have good reasons.

Also I am not happy about the name calling and stereotyping towards the console gamers( not to mention the foundation of that statement is based on rumors and one’s perception); that is unacceptable to a professional and civil world-class anime and game news site like Anime News Network. I may not be a console gamer myself but I felt the “meant-as-a-joke” insults have simply crossed the line; it just ain’t funny. No one can deny some extreme actions that may put a bad reputation to the whole group, but Unproven rumors along should not warrant such accusations.

This is still my weekly ritual for game news, make no mistake, but the recent entries certainly has tones that make it sound a bit too condescending, and it clashes with the friendly and comfortable atmosphere of ANN community

Last edited by Engineering Nerd on Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
Treeborn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I'm also bothered by that name calling. Was having a nice read and then that hit me. Not cool.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:55 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
God , gotta love the hypocrisy. So if people cancel a preorder for a game (which last time I checked you can legally do in the US, not sure about China), you call them insufferable not-so-nice-people? How does that make you any better.

I'm not cancelling anything over a port to another medium, but your condescending tone of people you don't agree with makes you as much a piece of trash. Just because someone is "an acceptable target" in your eyes doesn't give you some high ground to talk trash about people. And as "journalist" , as you clowns at ANN like to call yourselves it makes you look especially bad.

I find it utterly hilarious you want to accuse someone of insulting an entire group of people, and then do the same thing yourself by calling everyone at ANN clowns. Hello pot, meet kettle. Even more hilarious is you calling anyone a clown.

If you have an issue with a column or review, PM the admins or editors. Explain the issue to them in a civil manner. Simply running your mouth "with a condescending tone towards people you don't agree with makes you just as much a piece of trash" as you put it. Oh wait, that's all you do here. Personally insult staff and also other forum members who have different opinions than your own. In fact you were warned a while back if you kept it up you'd be back on moderation. Consider this the last warning you will get.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, quite the week. Helluva way to start November.

-Blizzard: Yeah, they brought all of this on themselves. People did not forgot and they are NOT forgiving. The "apology" Blizzard made was some of the most cynical corporate-speak you could muster and it didn't solve anything. This is not going to die down for them, no matter how many announcements they throw at people.

-Fallout 76: This continues to be the worst fiasco in Bethesda's history.

-Ubisoft: Apparently word on the grapevine (Schreier over at Kotaku detailed it) is that Breakpoint was so bad for Ubisoft that they've completely changed their pitch process and now it's about how unique someone can make their game. Maybe now they'll make stuff other than boring, tedious sandboxes.

-Death Stranding: Well, I would say this applies to gamers in general, but it's not wrong. I've been more surprised by Death Stranding not having 100% acclaim and instead being a bit more divisive than I'd have imagined.
Zero-chan
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Games are good and being on more platforms is good because more people get to enjoy them in the way they find most comfortable

More games should be ported to Switch, PC, XBOne, PS4, iOS, Android so everyone can enjoy games how they want

People who are obsessed with specific platform/company support and do ridiculous, obnoxious things because of it are jerks

(this really isn't a hot take IMO)
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That seems a little excessive and smells a little of BS, but I can't completely dismiss it because if there's one thing console warriors are good at, it's being insufferable not-so-nice-people.

Any (insert favored gaming platform) warrior is an asshole, just classic tribalism rearing it’s head in just about everything humans do. For what it’s worth I’m glad Death Stranding will have a PC port, spitefully I want this game to be a massive success while Konami has to watch and put Zombie Metal Gear on yet another 90% off sale.

Still getting it on PS4 though, Decima should probably do fine but it’s still never had a game on anything but the PS4. [/quote]
liquidblueocean

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:50 am Reply with quote
I thought this column was about anime related games, which is why I read it. Not a mention of anything remotely related this week Sad Were there only the sound of crickets in the anime related games this week? Article doesn't even mention the absence of them...
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:02 am Reply with quote
Something that should be clarified about Overwatch 2: Blizzard has said all cosmetics will transfer over from the first game, and people on the first game will still have access to new heroes and maps that appear in 2 as well as having cross-play with 2 in PVP. I assume it's primarily the PVE story missions that are the main draw for updating to the sequel (but more like an expansion).

Regardless, I'm not lying when I said I teared up a little in that cinematic when everyone joined up. Reminded me of an epic reunion in a certain movie this year. Genji: "Winston, it's Genji. Can you hear me? .....on your left."

I do hope it's not just the good guys the story mode is entirely focused on, seeing as Sombra, Moira, and Ashe are my top three most played (in that order) characters in 1.

I think Jim Sterling nailed it in his video: in a post-Outer Worlds world, the need for Fallout and possibly Skyrim (we'll see how they handle 6) has diminished greatly.

Totally cool with The Last of Us 2 being delayed, I want the game to be as polished as possible, and it also means I'm not feeling rushed to play it since originally it would be coming out only about a week before Final Fantasy VII remake is set to come out. Bad enough I'm about to have to juggle Death Stranding, Pokemon Sword, and Jedi: Fallen Order, so I don't need two big games for me coming out so close to each other so soon after dealing with it already.

Speaking of Death Stranding, yeah it's hard not to be dismissive of some of the reactions to it since it's established by now that a good deal of gamers automatically stick their nose up at anything that's heavily story-focused (it's why I'm careful who to mention to that Night in the Woods is in my top 20 favorite games of all time, telling certain people that a game where you mostly read dialogue with occasional platforming and mini-games means that much to you will trigger them for the "crime" of liking a thing). And hey, it's fine if that's not someone's cup of tea, the problem is when they start acting like this will be how everyone will view the game if they play it which is obviously not true or fair.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:59 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
I think Jim Sterling nailed it in his video: in a post-Outer Worlds world, the need for Fallout and possibly Skyrim (we'll see how they handle 6) has diminished greatly.

The Outer Worlds is nothing like Fallout or Elder Scrolls. The whole reason people like Fallout and Elder Scrolls is the huge expansive worlds to explore and the variety of builds and sandbox-y ways you can play the game. The Outer Worlds is more like a lower budget Mass Effect. It's an extremely linear sci-fi FPS RPG game with very few gameplay customization builds and no exploration potential. Very different games.

And I'm not sure what Jim Sterling said, but if he thinks the Elder Scrolls 6 and Fallout 5 isn't going to sell 20 million copies each then he's crazy.

Quote:
Speaking of Death Stranding, yeah it's hard not to be dismissive of some of the reactions to it since it's established by now that a good deal of gamers automatically stick their nose up at anything that's heavily story-focused

Considering the amount of praise story driven RPGs like Persona and Final Fantasy get, or even Kojima's previous Metal Gear Solid games got, I don't think it's wise to dismiss any grievances against Death Stranding simply because it's a 'story focused game'. It more than likely has to do with the fact it's a heavily flawed game.

While Death Stranding most likely isn't Mighty No 9 levels of bad, I think it's clear Kojima is at his best when he had Konami around to reign him in and veto his more stupid ideas and decisions. It's petty easy to see why DS wouldn't be a very fun game to play and why Konami would never approve of it. It is a bit telling that even the positive reviews of Death Stranding use phrases like "boring" and "tedious" and seem to struggle to grasp why they're not having fun with the game. A lot of them read like a person who has to give the game a positive review, but is struggling to find good things to say about it. Maybe due to the names attached to the project or fear of backlash from Kojima's fanbase.

All the gameplay clips I've seen doesn't seem like something I would enjoy so I'll probably end up just watching someone stream it or wait for a cut-scene compilation on YouTube.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:58 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Remember kids, a random Reddit post is not a valid source.

I like how you said this and then in the very same post claimed with zero evidence that the Blizzcon protests are secretly controlled by a "far-left" group (whose evil "far-left" agenda includes...being in favor of personal privacy. Oh noes! Not that!)

No matter how fun and shiny Blizzard's latest sequel (to a sequel to a sequel) is, that doesn't make their policy of silencing China's critics okay. Some things are more important than your lootbox shooter, my dude.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:01 pm Reply with quote
FF, Persona, and MGS are not the type of games I mean. I'm talking about gamers who are dismissive of games like Gone Home or Firewatch, calling them just "walking simulators" and not "true games" has shown there's a clear divide and the people who are automatically dismissive towards those sorts of games show a bias in how they'd review a game. I don't even find it worrying that some of the positive reviews say the game isn't always "fun" (but notice the quotes). Well yeah, there's times in Dark Souls/Bloodborne where it wasn't fun when I felt like I was up against a wall, but surpassing it was immensely rewarding.

Also, the very fact that you are hardly the only one to just seem to "know" that it's a bad idea that Konami to not be in there to "rein him in" shows that there's some people going into this game with preconceived negative thoughts. Another reason to raise a skeptical eyebrow at some of the negative reviews.

And honestly, Stevivor's statement in the Metacritic speaks volumes of their bias. Why would I trust a reviewer who clearly doesn't think video games should be art (and thinks this game should be viewed as a "warning" if they DARE to do it, geez, overdramatic much?) when I think they can be? It's like being a superhero movie fan and thinking you can rely on the word of a critic who hates almost all or just all superhero movies. And hey, that's their business, but it doesn't make for a reliable review for those who were interested in something like it. I will buy the game when it comes out and form my opinion, and I encourage everyone who was interested in what the game was offering to give it a fair chance too.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

I like how you said this and then in the very same post claimed with zero evidence that the Blizzcon protests are secretly controlled by a "far-left" group (whose evil "far-left" agenda includes...being in favor of personal privacy. Oh noes! Not that!)

No matter how fun and shiny Blizzard's latest sequel (to a sequel to a sequel) is, that doesn't make their policy of silencing China's critics okay. Some things are more important than your lootbox shooter, my dude.

That and the internet has heavily changed the way people voice complaints with an entity. If Blizzard had to address the HK controversy in some manner then it's clear it was affecting them on some level. Considering the "apology" was also cynical and manufactured hasn't helped things so I doubt they've done anything but make things worse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2