• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Debuts Teasing Master Takagi-san Anime Season 2 on December 6

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:22 am Reply with quote
Been waiting for when this would be available outside Japan and I’m glad to see that it will be before the end of the year. Looking forward to more teasing from the master. Very Happy
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:07 am Reply with quote
Hopefully they actually proof read this one. Really interested to see how they deal with "forms of address" episode... It relies very heavily on honorifics that Netflix hates so much.
kenshinsgirl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:57 am Reply with quote
I genuinely enjoyed the dub of the first season. Now in Netflix's hands, I wonder how it will sound. I doubt they would keep the same cast. It will be very interesting to see how they go about this...

One way or another, glad to finally be able to watch it!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:04 am Reply with quote
kenshinsgirl wrote:
I genuinely enjoyed the dub of the first season. Now in Netflix's hands, I wonder how it will sound. I doubt they would keep the same cast. It will be very interesting to see how they go about this...

Netflix didn’t dub Saiki Kusuo S2 and the special... This might be the case with Takagi-san so be wary...
Doc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:23 am Reply with quote
I wonder if we will ever see a physical release now?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:52 am Reply with quote
#894822 wrote:
kenshinsgirl wrote:

Netflix didn’t dub Saiki Kusuo S2 and the special... This might be the case with Takagi-san so be wary...

My assumption has been that Netflix won't dub it considering Saiki K. There isn't anything that actually blocks Netflix from contracting with Funimation to dub it, but I have to assume Netflix doesn't want to work with a company with a competing streaming service. Plus, I would guess Funimation would want streaming rights for the dub if it was involved. Again, that isn't impossible, but I doubt Netflix would want to give up any exclusivity.

Doc wrote:
I wonder if we will ever see a physical release now?

Good question. A few things have gotten home video releases via Sentai and Funimation, but it's rare. I don't know if that is Netflix not wanting to give people are reason to watch elsewhere, home video rights being too costly, or possibly other companies deciding it's too risky to spend money on a show without knowing the streaming numbers. Probably a combination of all that. Whatever the reason, there are Netflix shows that I would gladly buy, but that isn't an option.
Marakutanay

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

My assumption has been that Netflix won't dub it considering Saiki K. There isn't anything that actually blocks Netflix from contracting with Funimation to dub it, but I have to assume Netflix doesn't want to work with a company with a competing streaming service. Plus, I would guess Funimation would want streaming rights for the dub if it was involved. Again, that isn't impossible, but I doubt Netflix would want to give up any exclusivity

They have Sentai dubbed a few of their shows, aren't they also a competing streaming service?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Marakutanay wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

My assumption has been that Netflix won't dub it considering Saiki K. There isn't anything that actually blocks Netflix from contracting with Funimation to dub it, but I have to assume Netflix doesn't want to work with a company with a competing streaming service. Plus, I would guess Funimation would want streaming rights for the dub if it was involved. Again, that isn't impossible, but I doubt Netflix would want to give up any exclusivity

They have Sentai dubbed a few of their shows, aren't they also a competing streaming service?

Which one(s)? The only thing that comes to mind is Ajin, where John Ledford was a producer, but it was dubbed at SDI in LA, which handled dubbing for multiple Netflix titles. Even then, Sentai only acquired home video rights.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:58 pm Reply with quote
that recent 3D saint seiya thing, a redub of the original and 7 seeds
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm just going to say that it would be really stupid if Netflix DIDN't dub it at this point, considering how Takagi-san S2 already finished airing 10 weeks prior to them even starting to stream the series. If they are only going to subtitle it, they might as well have just let Crunchyroll simulcast it like they did with S1.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Why do Netflix and Amazon keep snatching up sequels to titles Funimation previously licensed so much lately? It’s becoming very annoying.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Which one(s)? The only thing that comes to mind is Ajin, where John Ledford was a producer, but it was dubbed at SDI in LA, which handled dubbing for multiple Netflix titles. Even then, Sentai only acquired home video rights.

7 Seeds was a Sentai dub.

There's also Saint Seiya's 2019 redub & CG reboot but both are believed to be commissioned by Toei themselves so I wouldn't exactly count those.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:01 am Reply with quote
Did Sentai dub Knights of Sidonia or did they just handle the BD release? Which is still one of the few to get a BD release.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:01 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Did Sentai dub Knights of Sidonia or did they just handle the BD release? Which is still one of the few to get a BD release.

Just the home video release! That was an L.A. dub.
JRPictures

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:54 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

They only handled the BD release, nothing else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2