• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Zac & Shawne's Excellent Adventure

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I always love these industry licensor/distributor discussions. Not surprised about anime films doing pretty well in sales (even when its unexpected) since they are inexpensive enough that they could easily be more of an impulse buy than a series.

I have been fairly patient with buying anime this year (aside from pre-ordering Fruits Basket 2019, The Tatami Galaxy, and Millennium Actress), so I'm really excited to see what sales RightStuf has in store. That tease at the end about "the industry changing, and thus what can be put on sale can change," makes me wonder if we'll see some Aniplex titles included.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:54 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
That tease at the end about "the industry changing, and thus what can be put on sale can change," makes me wonder if we'll see some Aniplex titles included.

AOA's Gurren Lagann Blu-ray box set is on sale now at Right Stuf. Regular price was a shade less than $150; sale price is just under $120. Of course now it's also out of stock.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:05 am Reply with quote
It is always good to hear from Shawne.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:10 am Reply with quote
"There's no way anyone could watch every single thing that's ever made."

Challenge accepted. Smile I've got nothing better to do anyway. Wink
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:47 pm Reply with quote
It's good to hear that retail sales are still doing well. I will say that streaming has resulted in an increase in my physical purchases since I know whether I liked a series or not. I do dread the prospect of a future where streaming totally takes over, though. The constant flux of what movies are available on Netflix, for example, should make it pretty obvious that content won't always be available. The anime industry has its own examples. Aniplex decided not to renew licenses and bring several older titles over to AoA, which subsequently did nothing with several of those. I can't stream Sekirei anymore, but I can still watch my blu-rays. When Crunchyroll and Funimation ended their partnership, shows that I liked were gone within days, but it didn't make a huge difference to me because I already had my own copies.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:58 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame the old Ocean dub of Gundam Seed will only be available on SDBD via the Ultra edition... it might cause brand confusion, but I might be one of the few who would be more tempted to buy the SDBD on it's own just due to nostalgia for the dub. It always sucks when previous dubs can't be kept in circulation and be left to fade into obscurity.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:24 pm Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
It's a shame the old Ocean dub of Gundam Seed will only be available on SDBD via the Ultra edition... it might cause brand confusion, but I might be one of the few who would be more tempted to buy the SDBD on it's own just due to nostalgia for the dub. It always sucks when previous dubs can't be kept in circulation and be left to fade into obscurity.

Honestly, this sounds more like a Sunrise decision than a Right Stuf one. Sunrise paid for that new dub, and probably just wants to act like the old one doesn't exist now, & while Shawne likely managed to convince Sunrise to let them include the old dub for older fans, it was only on the condition that it be exclusive to the Ultra Edition, so as to let the new dub be the "official" one from here on out.

At least, that sounds like the most reasonable & logical conclusion I can think of.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:01 pm Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:

Does anyone know what they changed in the new dub? Besides the new VAs, of course.
Issac Sarrowtail

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:49 am Reply with quote
So what exactly happened to direct shot distribution?
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:00 pm Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
Does anyone know what they changed in the new dub? Besides the new VAs, of course.

I'd be surprised if there were any major changes beyond that. Sunrise only re-dubbed the C.E. shows because the existing audio no longer matches up exactly with the HD remaster's re-edit. You might get a new script, but I don't remember there being any big issues with the original dub's. Sunrise were just too cheap to pay the union rates Ocean would need to re-do the show, so you get an entire recast.

Lord Geo wrote:
Honestly, this sounds more like a Sunrise decision than a Right Stuf one. Sunrise paid for that new dub, and probably just wants to act like the old one doesn't exist now, & while Shawne likely managed to convince Sunrise to let them include the old dub for older fans, it was only on the condition that it be exclusive to the Ultra Edition, so as to let the new dub be the "official" one from here on out.

At least, that sounds like the most reasonable & logical conclusion I can think of.

They're essentially the same show, so I think it's more a case of not wanting to compete with themselves. You're right that they're going to want to recoup the cost of re-dubbing the show, but I don't think they have some axe to grind against the original. If they did, it would've wound up like the dubs for ZZ and the Movie Trilogy, which Nozomi were not allowed to release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1