• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Has My Hero Academia Taken Its Darkest Turn?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Hey Kirishima, who's your favorite Rockets player?
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:37 am Reply with quote
Rhetorical questioning aside, this is certainly its darkest turn so far. Whether it ups the ante even more later, I guess we'll see.

I haven't read any of the manga but I did learn most of the spoilers for this arc already, and it's gonna be quite a thing. Just wait until you learn about Eri's ridiculous Quirk; honestly, it's a wonder the bad guys are able to keep her from straight-up destroying the lot of them. The horrifying physical and emotional abuse is probably a factor, though...
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:17 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Rhetorical questioning aside, this is certainly its darkest turn so far. Whether it ups the ante even more later, I guess we'll see.

I haven't read any of the manga but I did learn most of the spoilers for this arc already, and it's gonna be quite a thing. Just wait until you learn about Eri's ridiculous Quirk; honestly, it's a wonder the bad guys are able to keep her from straight-up destroying the lot of them. The horrifying physical and emotional abuse is probably a factor, though...

My favorite part (after this arc) is when someone who can use the same (apparently, innocent ) quirk as one of the kids uses it to straight up murder people.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know Mirio was related to Bayonetta.

For how dark and tense the arc is, it was kind of cold when they revealed what they were doing to Eri. After all that blood and fear, what they're doing to her is... taking some blood and cell samples? Any mildly dark series in any season will have something way worse to show. Which is not necessarily what I want, but what happens is too mild to warrant Fatgum's and other heroes' reactions.

Quote:
The story's recent superpower contests and exams really haven't hit anywhere close to that.

Right. For a story about heroes, the environments and situations have been relatively safe so far.
Sure, we had city-wide explosions but nothing to make the heroes really question themselves.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
After all that blood and fear, what they're doing to her is... taking some blood and cell samples? Any mildly dark series in any season will have something way worse to show. Which is not necessarily what I want, but what happens is too mild to warrant Fatgum's and other heroes' reactions.

Noooooot quite. While yes, they're using Eri's blood and cells, remember what the Overhaul's quirk does and that that is how he's extracting those cells and blood.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:25 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:
After all that blood and fear, what they're doing to her is... taking some blood and cell samples? Any mildly dark series in any season will have something way worse to show. Which is not necessarily what I want, but what happens is too mild to warrant Fatgum's and other heroes' reactions.

Noooooot quite. While yes, they're using Eri's blood and cells, remember what the Overhaul's quirk does and that that is how he's extracting those cells and blood.

Well, all I know about Overhaul is that he makes people explode, so I don't know how that could apply to someone who hans't exploded yet (or how it could be more useful than a syringe). And I'm not sure abou whether the outraged heroes know about those details or not.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
lossthief wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:

Well, all I know about Overhaul is that he makes people explode, so I don't know how that could apply to someone who hans't exploded yet (or how it could be more useful than a syringe). And I'm not sure abou whether the outraged heroes know about those details or not.

Overhaul is literally using a child he is technically the parental guardian of as a guinea pig by breaking down her body for resources & putting her back together when she appears to be running out of flesh/on the verge of death. And judging by the girl being visibly traumatized it’s clearly not a pleasant experience.

It’s a brutal thing to do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1