• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Exploring The Intense Visual Mastery of Square-Enix Cutscenes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maid S Runner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:30 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorite cut scenes has to be the opening to the original Kingdom Hearts game.
~
秘密メイド Himitsu Maid
Maid S Runner
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Wait, did they actually reproduce Elsa's braid clipping through her shoulder?
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:45 pm Reply with quote
The Lion King remake felt soulless primarily because they made the animals' faces look too realistic. By not even altering them slightly, it just felt like we were watching actual animals move around for two hours instead of characters with emotional connections to the story's events.

Jon Favreau also directed the remake of Jungle Book but in that one he made the animals mostly look real but allowed their faces to show more expression than the actual animals would and so their dialogue and reactions felt more believable. It also helped there was one human character with Mowgli for them to play off of.

It was also a better choice to remake as well. Original Jungle Book has fantastic songs, but the animation during them isn't exactly mind-blowing. So Baloo singing or King Louie singing doesn't feel like a downgrade in the remake, plus they wisely kept it to just those two so they could actually add new scenes to help give the remake more of its own identity (I did like having Trust in Me during the credits). Lion King, though? Yeah, songs like Can't Wait to be King or Be Prepared are downgraded because the animation during them in the originals was so lively with characters moving faster and in ways that the real animals couldn't. So thus the songs leave less of an impact in the remake.

Jungle Book 2016 I thought was excellent and should serve as how to actually do a Disney remake. Lion King 2019 I thought was easily the weakest of the remakes and how not to do one. Hopefully Mulan and Little Mermaid take more lessons from the former than the latter.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:45 am Reply with quote
Quoting from the article here, talking about Spirits Within (2001):
Quote:
The staff members involved give various reasons for the film's failure. Some blame investors for overcomplicating the development process, making it difficult to find a consensus on the film's narrative, others blame cultural differences within the international studio, and Hiroyuki Seshita, the future director of multiple anime at Polygon Pictures, blamed the obsession with realism. When Seshita was working as an art director on the film, he believed that it was lacking any basic appeal outside of its photorealistic visuals.

Emphasis mine.
I think that Seshita nailed it on the head here perfectly. Sprits Within had beautiful CG (for the time, anyway) but that was honestly all it had. It certainly didn't have any of the things that come to mind when I hear the words "Final Fantasy". It's interesting to read that even one of the directors shared that opinion.
SailorPluto1313

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:47 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

Nope, I read somewhere (can't remember) that they fixed that particular scene by using a different angle when they got to that part. I believe there are comparison videos on youtube that show the difference.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:39 pm Reply with quote
SailorPluto1313 wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:

Nope, I read somewhere (can't remember) that they fixed that particular scene by using a different angle when they got to that part. I believe there are comparison videos on youtube that show the difference.

The angle of her body did look slightly different to me, but I'm still not sure the tip is actually going over her shoulder. Maybe I need to watch it again, at 25% speed instead of 50%? EDIT: Nope, I still think they did the same thing as the movie, just concealed it better.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:44 pm Reply with quote
On one hand, there isn't really much point to redoing "Let it Go" in realtime graphics when you can just watch the movie or maybe do something with the scene that a movie would not be able to do.

On the other hand, there are only two game developers left that have any business doing CG cut scenes -- Square and Blizzard.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1