• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 22/7 TV Anime's 2nd Promo Spotlights All 8 Idols, Previews Nicole's New Voice

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BSW

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:28 am Reply with quote
I hate to complain about this kind of thing, but the voices are outright horrendous, it's painful to listen to them.
What the hell were they thinking? I get it that they used singers instead of voice actresses, but there should be a limit where they say no to a performance if it's this poor, no matter how they wanna promote the idols...
I already can't see the project succeed with this low standard for acting.
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:45 pm Reply with quote
BSW wrote:
I hate to complain about this kind of thing, but the voices are outright horrendous, it's painful to listen to them.
What the hell were they thinking? I get it that they used singers instead of voice actresses, but there should be a limit where they say no to a performance if it's this poor, no matter how they wanna promote the idols...
I already can't see the project succeed with this low standard for acting.

But the girls are voice actresses too. The whole project was to find people who were interested in being singers and voice actresses. An interview with some of the members (on this very website) had stated that some of the girls wanted to be singers while others wanted to be voice actresses (i.e. Sally Amaki wanted to be a voice actress instead of an idol).
BSW

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, then they are amateurs, and it really, really shows. In the bad way.
TheKillerAngel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't think there's anything particularly bad about the voice acting. If it was really that bad Japanese twitter would have lit them up, and that hasn't happened The way the characters sound is consistent with how they were for the shorts that aired some time ago.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, one of them doesn’t sound like a typical female anime voice actor (and sounds similar to some idols turned voice actors), but I don’t think that’s necessarily the same as bad acting.
BSW

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:08 am Reply with quote
I don't know, maybe the target audience this time is 100% idol fans, and not people who usually watch anime, but even if the acting isn't horrible, it's definitely not enjoyable at all, so I doubt it would be popular among people who care for anything, but the IRL idol shilling.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:38 pm Reply with quote
The voice acting definitely reminds me of the ones found in AKB0048 where the AKB48 idols voice acted which were mixed at best. The real question is whether they can handle the tricky emotional bits without sounding flat or bored.
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:43 pm Reply with quote
BSW wrote:
Well, then they are amateurs, and it really, really shows. In the bad way.

The group just debuted in 2017. Even though some of the members have had a couple of voice acting roles outside of the project since 2018, they've mostly been focusing on their variety show and music promotions.

The target demographic of the show is for anime fans too... The media mix projects these days are no different from Love Live!, Wake Up! Girls, Iris, and Hypnosis Mic, except they will be also promoting as idols on mainstream television.
BSW

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Ming Yi wrote:

The target demographic of the show is for anime fans too...

I'm pretty sure they are nowhere near priority...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1