• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: angela Perform My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! Anime's Opening Song

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:39 am Reply with quote
The sheer amount of anime about reincarnation is just depressing.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:50 am Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:

Anime follows trends, a few years ago people were complaining about cute girls doing dumb things slice of life, or before that moe anime. Personally I love reincarnation stories, especially well done ones like this, so I’m quite excited.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:10 pm Reply with quote
It is a response to current culture.

With the trends and forces of modernity proving to be very unfulfilling, people what escapist media that proves what they know and do is actually worth something. Notice many isekai come down to "All that pointless modern stuff I learned actually gives me an edge!" The concept in this is the same "Oh, the games I thought were pointless are now crucial to my success!" These ideas are part of society communicating with itself.

Consider the harlock-esque manly stoicism wound up being a phase. We had several phases in the 80's and Shinji Ikari carried the weight of a new trend for the 90's era economic conditions.

I think its fun and fine here and there.

Just think of why the trend exists and you can connect with the fans and creators on a whole new level.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:15 am Reply with quote
angela seems kind of serious for such a comedic series, but maybe they're going for an irony thing?
IceLeaf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:07 am Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:

There are a whole lot more manga. This is one of the better ones though
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:

I get that people have types of stories that they dislike but it is an odd choice to do it with this series since it will be the first otome villianess story to get an anime. My Next Life as a Villainess is one of the best comedy light novel series that I have read and it started the otome villianess trend in Japan. It will be a fairly original story for an anime series since there isn't anything like it that has gotten an anime adaptation.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:34 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
angela seems kind of serious for such a comedic series, but maybe they're going for an irony thing?

While with their anime openings, angela definitely leans towards serious, operatic-esque sound, they have done silly pop music numbers too, mostly for games or as album exclusives. I suspect that's what they'll be doing for this one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1