• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
No Anime Films Receive Nominations for 92nd Oscars

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:08 am Reply with quote
So Mirai might be the only nominee for a long time...
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:11 am Reply with quote
Colour me surprised.
JohnRhogan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:25 am Reply with quote
To the people at ANN: stop mentioning the Oscars and anime films not receiving any nominations, cause it'll never happen.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:31 am Reply with quote
JohnRhogan wrote:
To the people at ANN: stop mentioning the Oscars and anime films not receiving any nominations, cause it'll never happen.

Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, The Wind Rises, The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, When Marnie Was There, Mirai, Mt. Head, La Maison en Petits Cubes ...
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:47 am Reply with quote
Thought Promare might get a nod, but it''s probably be too over-the-top for the Academy.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:02 am Reply with quote
Egan: Ghibli is not perceived as anime. Neither were most of those shorts, except for that one from the Tokyo Ghoul guy which was part of Short Peace. Mirai did get in, though, finally. But it might be more for his work in general than anything else....
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:47 am Reply with quote
Weathering With You had such an abysmal release strategy if they were aiming for oscar contention, so it's not shocking.

Outside of that, no other anime features released stateside this year deserved a nomination.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:25 am Reply with quote
I don't think anyone is surprised, although even if there was a nomination, it surely wouldn't win.

... But I'm also kinda wanting to see Disney lose for a 2nd year, but I have my doubts on that too. Toy Story 4, while I think didn't actually need to be made, I had heard did really well and I'm sure it'll probably be the victor. Although I'm kinda hoping for Missing Link to win; while I hadn't seen it quite yet (husband and I are SO behind on movies we need to see), from what I have seen it looks like a lot of fun and I do love Laika's animation style.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:28 am Reply with quote
The anime films of 2019: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:2019_anime_films
I still gave to see both Lupins. Ride Your Wave and Mr. Osomatsu are "good" but none of this is awards material. None.

Dear Academy. I don´t really care but don´t snub Joker after the avalanche of noms. It really is the best US film of 2019.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In addition, the live-action Alita: Battle Angel film did not receive a nomination in the Visual Effects category. The film made the shortlist for the award. The nominees in the category are Avengers: Endgame, The Irishman, The Lion King, 1917, and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

Sounds fair, because who wants another Disney film monopolizing the competition? Laughing
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:58 am Reply with quote
It’s a shame no anime movie will get the influx of interest and money an Oscar brings in, but I’ve no interest in the Oscars so on a personal level I couldn’t care less.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:30 pm Reply with quote
No Frozen, so it actually feels like they all have a fair chance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:36 pm Reply with quote
There wasn't a single anime film in 2019 that deserved a nomination though..
xyz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:58 pm Reply with quote
What do people expect when the anime movies submitted are all mediocre.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:02 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
No Frozen, so it actually feels like they all have a fair chance.

I called that one in the previous Oscar noms thread. Disney/Pixar is not automatic anymore- especially with sequels. A sequel needs to show more than money for Oscar and the new one didn't add enough new flavor. I'm a little surprised HTTYD:etc got nominated- but I haven't actually watched it. Also called Missing Link being on there, even before its Golden Globe win- Despite my confusion at its critical raves- I simply didn't like it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3