• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Thunderbolt Fantasy Proves Gen Urobuchi is The Puppet Master

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Kahuna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:44 am Reply with quote
That movie is seriously awesome. Never mind the delicious puppet violence that would send Chucky crying under a blanket, the movie expanded on so many little nuggets characters mentioned in passing during the second season, that it's actually a joy to rewatch Season Two just to catch that (i.e. the bratty princess, the southern tribes, breaking into the palace, etc. They were all there in Season 2) Watched it 3 times, and youtubed bunch of Nishikawa live performances of the 3 songs he'd done for the series after. Can't wait for Season 3. That said, I'm still sadden they continued to sub using the Taiwanese pronunciation instead of Japanese. It's really difficult when the subtitle name does not match the audio. Of the many reasons why this series isn't getting the popularity it deserves in the US, that decision may be one of the biggest.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:54 am Reply with quote
I kinda agree about the subs, but I really don't think it's a big factor. People just take one look at it and go, "Puppets? What is this shit? No thanks," and move on. Or they're reminded of Wulin Warriors and skip it, because nobody got that either (and Urobuchi wasn't writing to give it that extra cachet).

And that's not cool-Aid, that's IHOP strawberry syrup! Very Happy

Ok, why is this changing the correct spelling of K ool-Aid into cool-Aid? When I go to edit it, it's still spelled with a capital K. wtf?
Oggers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:59 am Reply with quote
I picked up Thunderbolt Fantasy last year on a whim and I haven't regretted it. Good to know that this movie is just as good as the series!
7jaws7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Good to see that Urobuchi is still living up to his nickname - “The Butcher” Very Happy
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:03 am Reply with quote
Finally got around to this. Why doesn't it seem to have an encyclopedia page?

I am very grateful spoiler[Mù Tiān Mìng survived -- I spent half the movie expecting her to bite it. Here's hoping she's still alive in the present day, though that invites the question of why she wasn't with either of her teammates in the first two seasons.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1