• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Partners With CLAMP & Kindaichi, Gundam Thunderbolt, Goth, Mardock Scramble, Therm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:04 am Reply with quote
O...otsuichi... nice..
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:23 am Reply with quote
Netflix doesn't mind that they are partnering with a wife beater (Tow Ubukata)? Typical corporate interests. What's next? They'll partner with Nobuhiro Watsuki?
DarthSomebody

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:48 am Reply with quote
Mari Yamazaki, interesting. She does her research on history really well. Hoping for a good historical anime.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:01 am Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:
Netflix doesn't mind that they are partnering with a wife beater (Tow Ubukata)? Typical corporate interests. What's next? They'll partner with Nobuhiro Watsuki?

Maybe they’re not aware of it, and depending on how it goes with the revelations, it can change. And even so, other people are involved so you can ignore his work and focuse on the rest.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:25 am Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:
Netflix doesn't mind that they are partnering with a wife beater (Tow Ubukata)?

Lliterally the first time I've heard of this. Maybe they don't know about it?
Dian Z

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:37 am Reply with quote
Despite their track records of leaving their titles to uncertain-incomplete status, I'm still a fan of CLAMP. Seeing that it's a Netflix animated series, I guess there's a high chance this new project can come to a completion. Looking forward to it.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:40 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Sherris wrote:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-08-24/ghost-in-the-shell-arise-writer-tow-ubukata-arrested-on-charges-of-domestic-violence/.92040
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:33 am Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:
Sherris wrote:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-08-24/ghost-in-the-shell-arise-writer-tow-ubukata-arrested-on-charges-of-domestic-violence/.92040

That was 5 years ago it seems. And while it's a horrible thing to do, unless some new developments came since the beating, as long he stopped doing it and/or reflected on it, there shouldn't be much issue on it.

And I say again, there are people involved, so watch their projects instead of focusing on one person.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:12 am Reply with quote
Dian Z wrote:
Despite their track records of leaving their titles to uncertain-incomplete status, I'm still a fan of CLAMP. Seeing that it's a Netflix animated series, I guess there's a high chance this new project can come to a completion. Looking forward to it.

Man being reminded of CLAMP’s issues makes me so glad that the first series of theirs that I started reading seriously, Magic Knight Rayearth actually is finished.
meronichan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:31 am Reply with quote
When the article said they were partnering with CLAMP, I got really excited because I thought maybe some of their older series were finally getting a proper adaptation. But it looks like it's going to be original content with them as the character designers again. Sigh.

But the possibility is still there, right,.......
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:34 am Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:
Sherris wrote:

and i had that GITS incarnation on a PTW. Not anymore!
donhumberto

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:11 am Reply with quote
Really great news. As a huge fan of Ohtagaki's Gundam Thunderbolt/Moonlight Mile and pretty much all of Tow Ubukata's works I can't wait to see what they can bring in the future.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:09 am Reply with quote
Those are a big names, especially CLAMP. I hope that they announce the projects soon, Netflix hasn't shown anything big lately
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:13 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Sherris wrote:

Maybe they’re not aware of it, and depending on how it goes with the revelations, it can change. And even so, other people are involved so you can ignore his work and focuse on the rest.

Maybe as long as he isn't a woman sexually objectifying a 15 year old boy they are okay with it?

Dian Z wrote:

I wouldn't mind seeing some reboots, remakes and reimaginings, Rayearth needs some love, would love to see more of xxxHolic. My personal most favorite is Angelic Layer I like the concept it being about girls playing with dolls but they express it aggressively through competitively fighting them. Real life needs more competitively/fighting themed girly toys.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:21 am Reply with quote
Mixed feelings 1: Wow, Netflix is really stepping up their anime game!
MF 2: Of all the authors in Japan, Ubukata? Really? (I didn’t particularly like his work even before he was arrested)
MF 3: Prayer to the Powers That Be: “please don’t be CG, please don’t be CG, please don’t be CG!”
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3