• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Reddit's 2020 Anime Awards Crowns Sarazanmai, Hugtto Precure, Attack on Titan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:00 pm Reply with quote
And this is why you don't want The Anime Awards to be entirely judge voted like people said in that thread. Aikatsu, Precure, Hulaing Babies... I'm guessing this Reddit jury was made up entirely of few teenage girls.
The Hansond Jaysond Lee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm not familiar at all with the /r/Anime subreddit, but those juries' picks must be a planned joke, right?
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Hey, at least it's a less predictable selection than what you'd find at the Crunchyroll Awards.
Theleux

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Didn't expect to see the awards get recognition here as well!

The jury and hosts put months of effort into organizing this, as well as watching and critiquing all the shows from 2019. While the results between categories will not please everyone, a lot of time was put into formulating them, so I hope you appreciate some... or maybe end up finding something new that is worth watching!
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:06 pm Reply with quote
there's just something so...off with seeing reddit namedropped on an article here. It's like if the unholy 4 got a column or article.
sirdano1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Wow, even worse taste than Crunchyroll.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:19 pm Reply with quote
A 2018 show won best show in 2019 how interesting, Laughing I know Hugtto's final episode aired in January, but that's not how these annual series are usually classified. Hugtto is the 2018 Precure, Star Twinkle is the 2019 series.

The Hansond Jaysond Lee wrote:
I'm not familiar at all with the /r/Anime subreddit, but those juries' picks must be a planned joke, right?

The Precure talkbacks are super small and don't get a lot of traffic. Maybe like 20 comments per episode. It just so happens that the jury was made up of the 4 people who do watch Precure there. The idea a Precure could be represented as r/anime's favorite anime is funny to see, but woefully inaccurate to the actual community. It's just what happens when you let a few people speak for the whole community of 1.3+ million posters. Attack on Titan is definitely more in line with r/anime's taste and popular shows.
JennLegacy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:35 pm Reply with quote
From what I've seen of r/anime, a good chunk of the community is made up of sakuga enthusiasts. So shows like Aikatsu and ESPECIALLY Precure are to be expected since they're fairly popular with that crowd.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Having a division of "Jury" and "Public" on these seems perfect. You get all sides happy and there are more chances of the public finding new stuff.
Marzan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:49 am Reply with quote
Say what you want, but it seems a lot more fresh and unpredictable than Crunchyrolls awards.
IceLeaf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:26 am Reply with quote
Well these are more interesting results than I expected.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:37 am Reply with quote
A ton of work goes into these awards from everything leading up to the jury selection process, watching a ton of shows, maintaining thorough discussion, write-ups, to all the effort put towards the website and livestream. I'm surprised, but glad to see it covered here!
BonelessChicken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:00 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
And this is why you don't want The Anime Awards to be entirely judge voted like people said in that thread. Aikatsu, Precure, Hulaing Babies... I'm guessing this Reddit jury was made up entirely of few teenage girls.
I know this has no relation with the award but i think you're underestimating how big PreCure is. If the audiences is only teenager, how can they survive for almost 16 years. I never watch the show, but my friend said that PreCure is not only just "Teenegers' show".
Daddide

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"Chikatto Chika Chika♡" by Konami Kohara from Kaguya-sama: Love is War (Public)

Her name is "Konomi", please. Don't be like Crunchyroll.
Qulex

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:37 am Reply with quote
"Featuring prolific veteran animators such as Masami Mori and Kazuhiro Ota, along with up and coming names like Kōdai Watanabe and Itsuki Tsuchigami."

Since when is Masami Mori aka Soty a veteran animator and Watanabe and Tsuchigami "up and coming" ones?

El Hermano wrote:

I know you're infamous for spouting nonsense, but you could have at least done some research regarding Huggto Precure's writing. It won "real" awards for a reason.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2