• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Z Spanish Dub Voice Actor Luis Alfonso Mendoza Killed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:33 am Reply with quote
Oh lord. That's just awful. Nobody should ever have to go through something like this, especially over something like rental disputes. Where do you have to be in life where you have to murder someone over property? His family and friends have my prayers and condolences.

RIP Mendoza. Your legacy will always live on in Dragon Ball fans everywhere. Crying or Very sad
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:56 am Reply with quote
I'm so sorry for this. Those poor people...
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:03 am Reply with quote
This is heartbreaking, I grew up watching shows and movies with characters dubbed by Luis Alfonso, such as Daniel LaRusso, Daffy Duck and Bugs Bunny, Gohan, Leonardo, Carlton Banks, and also his modern roles like Gon in Bleach. I send all my condolences to his family, especially his daughter, Nayeli Mendoza, I whish she gets all the help and support to deal with this tragedy.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:23 am Reply with quote
I'm more surprised that ANN reported news about a non-American, non-Japanese voice actor in any capacity, even if some Latin American dubs also ends up in the U.S. as well.

Anyway, this is so terrible in so many levels, and I could give a long cultural tidbit about the whole thing, but this could be tasteless in the current situation. May he rest in peace...
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:24 am Reply with quote
Absolutely heart-breaking. My condolences to their family and friends, losing one person is always very difficult, losing 3 all at once is just too cruel.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:41 am Reply with quote
This broke my heart once I read it from Genaro Vásquez's FB page. Luis Alfonso's voice was iconic.
TheWolfhart

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Not many voice actors are as revered as those who worked on the Dragon Ball series. I have nothing but respect for them and this is a tragic loss.

It's important to note that he gave his voice to Adult Gohan, not kid/teen Gohan.
Purple Ninja

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:44 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
I'm more surprised that ANN reported news about a non-American, non-Japanese voice actor in any capacity, even if some Latin American dubs also ends up in the U.S. as well.

Anyway, this is so terrible in so many levels, and I could give a long cultural tidbit about the whole thing, but this could be tasteless in the current situation. May he rest in peace...

A similar case happened four years earlier with the Brazilian voice actor Caio César de Melo, who was also a police officer at the time and was killed in a mass shooting during a police mission. But unlike Luis Mendoza he hadn't too many notable anime roles as anime series weren't localised in a regular basis in his region at the time in comparison to nowadays, but he had a notable role in Digimon Adventure voicing T.K.
perroloco

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:56 pm Reply with quote
That's too sad.. my condolences to his family.
Ann staff you should change the pictures to Adult Gohan since that was Luis Alfonso's role.
RoninX

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:42 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:

its by the account that the Spanish dub of DBZ is LEGENDARY among Latin America. Hell, their love of Dragonball in pop culture exceeds above all else outside of Japan. Not to mention many believe the Spanish dub is among, if not the best, dub out there
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely horrible. I honestly hope the murderer pulls through so that he can suffer every day knowing he ended 3 lives. He’s nothing, but a coward.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:22 pm Reply with quote
That's absolutely horrible. I hope Mr. Mendoza and his family can rest in peace.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:08 pm Reply with quote
RoninX wrote:
luisedgarf wrote:

its by the account that the Spanish dub of DBZ is LEGENDARY among Latin America. Hell, their love of Dragonball in pop culture exceeds above all else outside of Japan. Not to mention many believe the Spanish dub is among, if not the best, dub out there

Latin American Spanish dubs are hands down the best because they sound much more natural than other dubs.
nDroae

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm sad to hear this, though I haven't watched the dub myself, partly because of the impact the Latin American audience has had in recent years, to the extent of affecting the anime itself. To thoroughly explain:

Two years ago, amazing posts and videos went viral showing huge crowds watching public screenings of DBS 130 & 131. Toei objected to unauthorized exhibitions, and the Embassy of Japan in Mexico contacted a Mexican governor on their behalf.
animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2018-03-19/public-dragon-ball-super-screenings-draw-thousands-in-latin-america/.129206

https://kotaku.com/massive-crowds-gather-to-watch-dragon-ball-super-togeth-1823882122

https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/859m1y/some_of_the_reactions_of_episode_130_in_various/

Some of these videos showed crowds chanting characters' names, such as "Frieza! Frieza! Frieza!"

And as Redditor Asad667 wrote here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fact_Fiend_Official/comments/e1i1e4/that_time_japan_tried_to_stop_mexico_enjoying/f8pe0m0/
Quote:
The director of Dragon Ball Super: Broly, Tatsuya Nagamine, implemented chants into the movie as a result of those viral videos from Mexico. The videos that contained crowds chanting for Goku in episode 130 of Dragon Ball Super literally influenced the product. So when you hear things like Go Broly Go Go in the movie, this was implemented because of Latin America's hype for Dragon Ball.

Here's the source on that:
https://news.mynavi.jp/article/20181219-743464/
Quote:
――戦闘シーンの中で、リングネームのコールのような演出も監督のアイデアだったのですか?

そうですね。バトルの音楽って似てきてしまうので、変化をつけたくて入れてみました。東映アニメーションは公認していないんですけれど、『ドラゴンボール超』のTVシリーズの最後の方って、メキシコとかでパブリックビューイングされていたんですよね。それが「ジレンVS悟空」みたいにプロレスを観戦する感じだったんです。これも東映アニメーションは認めてないですけれど(笑)、パブリックビューイングの入り口に、向こうで勝手に作った「ジレンVS悟空」のポスターがあるんですよ。そういうのを見ていると、リングコールでもするといいのかなと思っていました。昔から他の作品でやろうかなと、ネタとして持っていたものではあるんですけれどね。
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:50 pm Reply with quote
In the main page the article thumbnail still shows kid Gohan.

This is a very sad day, those are two very big shoes for some other voice actor to fill in, since Dragonball Super is going to continue and unlike Bulma, you beth there is going to be plenty of screentime for Gohan whenever the tv series sequel airs. Yeah, I know most english speakers would not notice, but millions south of the Rio Bravo will.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2