• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual USA Gets Shigofumi, True Tears Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:57 am Reply with quote
Okay A+ for release speed
Still Flunking for DVD price
When i paid 40ish for all the Scrapped Princess DVDs SEs, or the Eureka 7 SEs, i got 3-4 episodes and cool extras. Hell even if they offered more cool extras the 1-2 Episodes per dvd count just doesn't work in R1, with Funi and Viz testing out 13 for 50$ releases i just don't see how BV expects to sell more so with the Coming US Recession...........

Also wouldn't production costs be lower if they made fewer Discs?
Odds are these will be Sub only, but with MediaBlaster's 20$ sub only dvds how can they justify 2x the price?

-Gabe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Ok, some progress, but they are a little far from the sweet spot still... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm paying 20-30 dollars for a DVD with one episode?

This is not Japan!
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, being near JP release is good, but the price is totally absurd. Again, the protectionism strikes.
Cela

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Arrrrgh, why?! Not that I'm interested in True Tears, but how does BV keep getting these series!? I honestly would rather buy a DVD put out by 4Kids over the absolute crap treatment BV gives everything they get their grubby hands on. -_-
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:28 pm Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
Okay A+ for release speed

Also wouldn't production costs be lower if they made fewer Discs?
Odds are these will be Sub only, but with MediaBlaster's 20$ sub only dvds how can they justify 2x the price?

-Gabe

They don't want reverse import, it's protectionism at its finest.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:28 pm Reply with quote
True Tears:
Quote:
The first volume will ship with one episode on May 27 for US$29.99, and the next six volumes will ship with 2 episodes each for US$39.99. All volumes will have Japanese dialogue with English subtitles.

It really is amazing how fast it is going to be released but...come on. This isn't being cheap or complaining just to complain, but a sub only release(it seems) of 5 hours anime for 270$? I don't care how regular that is overseas, that's a fortune for barely anything.

Last edited by Vortextk on Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ultenth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
True Tears:
Quote:
The first volume will ship with one episode on May 27 for US$29.99, and the next six volumes will ship with 2 episodes each for US$39.99. All volumes will have Japanese dialogue with English subtitles.

It really is amazing how fast it is going to be released but...come on. This isn't being cheap or complaining just to complain, but a sub only release(it seems) of 6 hours anime for 270$? I don't care how regular that is overseas, that's a fortune for barely anything.

That was my first thought too. I can afford it, but there is no way I'm going to be fleeced like that. Yeah the speed release is nice, but a sub only release of a show that is under 5 hours long for $270? I can buy an equivalent time in entertainment in full length movies for under $80. For $270 I can buy an entire box set of every season of live action or animated shows that have run for 5+ years. The full 7 seasons of West Wing only costs around $350 if you buy them as they release. Haven't these people ever heard of pricing yourself out of a market? Yeah, they may sell a few to the hardcore fans that want it asap, but they will alienate a huge chunk of fans in the process, and most of those hardcore fans anyway are just going to go download fansubs anyway. I do realize though that most of the cost has to do with the licensing, and trying to buy the rights to release it sooner, which is probably more expensive than usual licensing fees. But still, I can only imagine anime fans that are millionaires being willing to be fleeced this badly.

It's just crazy. 2 steps forward in one area, 3 steps back in another.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
angel_lover

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:39 pm Reply with quote
The insane price of the DVDs is partly because of the near-simultaneous release and will discourage reverse importation. So, what's an anime company to do? Whatever they try is wrong.

Licence late + release late: fansubs will have detered sales
Licence early + release late: stops fansubs, but strains cashflow
Licence early + release early: stops fansubs but high price will deter sales

Conclusion: business models based on acquiring licences and selling DVDs don't really work any more.
Narudai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:42 pm Reply with quote
This would have been a good thing if they were still able to be license by another company later on like ADV that could release them in a format more people like. As this is its basically like saying these titles will never sell normally over here so lets just slap a sub on the R2 dvds to make some more money.
Kyouki-Kamikawa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:48 pm Reply with quote
2 of my favorite shows this season, but at that price...no thanks
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Cela wrote:
Arrrrgh, why?! Not that I'm interested in True Tears, but how does BV keep getting these series!?

Maybe because they own them and/or are part of the production commitee... Shocked

Quote:
I honestly would rather buy a DVD put out by 4Kids over the absolute crap treatment BV gives everything they get their grubby hands on. -_-

Well, for me the only objection is the price point, their releases are top notch in the technical department and sub only is not a deterrent for my enjoyment of anime.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
kurotsuki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I don't know , I really enjoy Trues Tears , but I can't say I enjoy the price Bandai Visual is going to put .
I guess it's back to waiting for it to be licensed in French . Maybe French DVD don't put extras much , but at least they are affordable ( like Higurashi S1 in only 4 DVD 14.99 EURO each ) .
Actually DVD have always been cheaper in Europe , maybe that's why people actually buy them and the industry works ? because I don't recall having ever heard complaints about the french anime industry .
oh well . c'est la vie .
Celes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:02 pm Reply with quote
True Tears sounded like it was right up my alley, for I so love hopping on the drama-llama and taking a long ride, but then I got to the part about the price and went: Shocked.

Please, if I am going to be spending $40 on a DVD, it's gonna be the last season of Scrubs!

...Or at least the season set of Slayers Try, if they stop pushing back the release date. I mean...575 minutes for $40, or 312 minutes for $270? Not a hard choice.
cloud1989

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:03 pm Reply with quote
some kick ass licenses but terrible prices, that aside this is some of the better news for this year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8