• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wave, Listen to Me! (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:43 pm Reply with quote

Wave, Listen to Me! (TV).

Genres: Comedy, Drama, Romance, Seinen

Plot Summary:
Quote:
The stage is Sapporo, Hokkaido. One night, Minare Koda, spills her heartbroken woes to a radio station worker she meets while out drinking. The next day, she hears a recording of her pitiful grumbling being played live over the air. Minare storms into the station in a rage, only to then be duped by the station director into doing an impromptu talk show explaining her harsh dialogue. With just one recording, the many eccentric facets of Minare's life begin to pull every which direction as she falls ever deeper into the world of radio.
(from manga)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:05 pm Reply with quote
This series will either live or die based on the strength of Minare. There's two facets to it though, considering how the first episode was designed. There's the audience to Minare, how much of her we can handle, and then there's the actual cast and how they interact. I don't think starting the episode with Minare's show already running was a good idea; It should have just started with her being dumped then finding ways of dealing with her emotions. There is no persona, this is just her so why start with the confusion of the bear scenario?

It's good, nothing like the idea of a Japanese woman in her 20s trying to sort out her life publicly dishing out advice when she herself needs it the most. However, I'm not happy with the radio director trying to commercialize Minare's trainwreck of a life... or that fact he recorded a random drunk woman at a bar? He does that often, doesn't he?

Oh good, a creep. And her new boss.

It has potential, it's just that I can't tell how much from the first episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I took a look at the anime of this season, and this was one that caught my eye, reason being that it looked like it might take a more genuine look at adult life, mature without having to wallow in ridiculous drama. And I will say that the format of this first episode could be a bit distracting, the whole bear thing while trying to understand the scenario, and the fact the majority of her otherwise rants were her unfiltered babbling while drunk, I liked it.

At least in this episode I liked Minare for her abrasive attitude. Laughed at that point where she was taking questions from the woman and started being way too truthful.
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:12 am Reply with quote
1:

Fascinating.

There's something fundamentally different about the dialogue. It sounds... real. Like too real. Like something lifted straight off from a RL experience. There's the hasty prose. The interruption. The pop culture references. Unless you're watching a satirical anime which is itself a dime a dozen, this isn't something you see everyday.

And if you observe close enough, Minare's verbiage on air is reminiscent of rakugo. I mean they're related, aren't they? Rakugo is a reflection of society and everyday conversation, with added color and characterization. The same goes for Minare's new gig, just with modern sound effects; it's just good storytelling.

I'm sticking around. I love me a good seinen, especially when it's fronted by flawed characters.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

This episode was less fantastic compared to the bear scenario of the first episode, but good. Was a little confused with the dialogue in whether Minare was getting fired or was fired, the bosses dialogue I think suggesting she was just on until the festival was over. A little sad, because the comments she got after doing the blog where everyone recognised her make her seem like the sort of personality that could help business. As long as she does not run out again, or start trashing the place while doing rants.

Curious about the video of her running out after hearing herself on the radio, the guy said that he had no idea who filmed it, but his comments about how he knew she would hear herself because he knew their radio was on in the restaurant makes it feel like he knew exactly what would go down. Then there was also the bit about Minare making up a story about a master of curry and grandson, which may have had some weird truth to it since said grandson appeared later.

This show relies a lot on Minare's voice actor, who I can see she has had a few main roles, but nothing that really stands out.
twistboy9

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:11 am Reply with quote
that's an anime that I would watch
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:18 pm Reply with quote
2:

I AM LOVIN THE HUMOR

The more I watch, the more I'm reminded of classic rakugo, especially when they're going through linguistic stuff like registers and diction. It's one of those things that people don't realize: arts (and technology, mind you) don't die, but merely transform into something else with the times. Rakugo is a dying art, but radio talk-shows borrow ideas from it. What Matou discussed with Minare - Minare's high-registered voice that makes you uncomfortable yet intrigued, in contrast to Chishiro's; audience reception, etc - just hits home with what good storytelling entails.

What intrigues me is how Minare's monologue also sounds like a radio program. It's that multilayered narrative - a stage within a stage - that captures my attention. I feel like I'm watching a radio program imitating itself, and that's impressive.

I respect the sheer talent that goes into the seiyuu work here. I don't get to see this often.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:05 am Reply with quote
3:

I'd love to hear how Sissel Komei did it back in her day.

3:30 AM shift is brutal.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Well, I think that went well. Even managed to stop a murder, from I assume the new girlfriend of Mitsuo having enough of him. I will say that the whole thing felt engrossing.

Turtle poop in the mouth is no laughing matter.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:05 pm Reply with quote
5:

What are the chances that Mitsuo getting his comeuppance from his latest squeeze happens exactly at the second Minare's guerilla program comes on air?

I like the short dialogue on sponsorship between Mato and Minare. It's not exclusively a radio program thing; it's pretty universal. Anything that relies on sponsorship, is pretty much at the mercy of their request; that's what having a stakeholder means. At the exchange of money, you give up something else: some form of interest, expression, creativity, etc. In short, some kind of freedom.

By going sponsorship-less, the radio program gets less money but more freedom. Sure, Mato convinced the higher-ups to fork out the money this time instead, but that means they have the sway over how the money is going to be used. And Mato convinced them that it's going to be in this kind of format.

If there's anyone to be careful of, it's Mato. He knows how to sway people. Just his poaching of Minare into the radio business is alone a testament to what he can do.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 1:34 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Wasn't until after the credits that I think that I put the pieces together to explain the mystery of the rotting meat smell. Earlier in the episode I think she was on the phone to her parent and was mentioned that she does not have the fridge space for food being sent to her, and seemingly could not recall that meat had been sent to her. I think that this is implied to be the origin of the smell. The blood coming down at a certain time, can't be sure but it probably has an equally explainable source.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:47 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 6

Wasn't until after the credits that I think that I put the pieces together to explain the mystery of the rotting meat smell. Earlier in the episode I think she was on the phone to her parent and was mentioned that she does not have the fridge space for food being sent to her, and seemingly could not recall that meat had been sent to her. I think that this is implied to be the origin of the smell. The blood coming down at a certain time, can't be sure but it probably has an equally explainable source.

Mizuho is just so innocent as I would have put everything together once Minare pointed up while saying "I USED to live up there until I moved in with you."

Less "What did you do?", more "What didn't you do?" Using the apartment across form her a drunken stupor as a meat locker... rattling, leaking, dripping... how about...

Did she toss whole hunks of meat into a food disposal and she plugged up the drain? It doesn't even have to be the apartment above him if the pipes just happen to go that way. So if Minare burst the pipes then whenever the woman in her old apartment ran water, it would leak rotten meat water into the guy's apartment.

And no one complained about the smell because... it's Japan?
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:52 pm Reply with quote
6:

There was something grossly wrong with Minare's deductions right from the onset. So many that I don't even know where to start. But hey, I know that it's not meant to be taken so seriously (it's derpy comedy, anyway), so listing everything wrong with her deduction seems meaningless; most of us would've guessed it wasn't a dead body, and things didn't go exactly what she thought.

But really, how could she keep 50 kilograms of meat under her floor, and never notice the smell in her own place...
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:37 pm Reply with quote
8:

I swear to God, I actually guessed correctly that the third lover's name would exactly be Reiko. Even if I saw it coming from a mile away, it's still hilarious how Minare's name (supposedly?) came to be.

Two things I like about this episode: one, how it came to full circle by going back to where it started: with Minare wrestling with a bear (that's effective in media res, right there). Two, the common theme between Mizuho and Makie: both are good supporters of people (or supporting characters), and they're self-aware about it. We all know that kind of people in RL: selfless to a fault.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:21 am Reply with quote
The brother should be super looked at by a doctor if he is having violent blackouts, arrested even, if he does not do something about it himself. But kind of feels like it was just used as a joke.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2