• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - Our 5 Favorite Spring 2020 Anime Premieres

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:40 pm Reply with quote
The description of Isekai is a bit narrow since there are plenty of works in the genre that don’t involve the main character dying in order to wind up in another world.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
The description of Isekai is a bit narrow since there are plenty of works in the genre that don’t involve the main character dying in order to wind up in another world.

Rolling Eyes Which is better, subs or dubs? Might as well have that endless argument too while we're here!

Despite the fact that this season looks like it's going to be about 3 episodes long for most series, I'm following about 20 series, which will take half a year to wrap I guess. Smile

My top five list would include, in no significant order, Bookworm, Fruits Basket, Kakushigoto, Villainess, and Woodpecker Detective's Office. Next would've been Arte, Appare-Ranman (which I keep calling Anpanman in my head), and Tower of God if more choices were allowed.

I really wanted to like Sing "Yesterday" because the art and animation are gorgeous and I like the character designs and angst, but no, I haven't had one moment with it where I went, “Oh, I get that, that speaks to me.” It just...doesn't.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:

This, isekai was defined by works like The Twelve Kingdoms and Fushigi Yuugi. Neither has the MC dying.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Beltane70 wrote:

Rolling Eyes Which is better, subs or dubs? Might as well have that endless argument too while we're here!

I don't think that's really a fair comparison. Subs vs dubs are a subjective matter where there is no universally correct answer, whereas "Isekai only consists of stories where the main character is reincarnated in another world" has a single, uncontroversial answer. Like others have pointed out, isekai not only consists of characters dying and being reborn in another world but also those where the main character is transported to another world without dying, like Kemono Michi and Isekai Cheat Magician, to name some of the most recent such entries in anime form. The writer made a mistake, and a reader politely pointed it out. That's it. No endless debate to be had. It's not unlike if someone had said, "All wines are red".
Dian Z

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Kakushigoto and Wave, Listen to Me are two that I think can satisfy me in both substance and entertainment. Most of the titles that I watched this season are more of entertaining guilty pleasure, which I probably need anyway, Villainess and Tower of God being my favorites.

Arte has an interesting premise and setting, but I don't think it really offers anything new. I quite like how Sing Yesterday looks, and I'll keep watching to see how it'll turn out, but so far nothing to really talk about.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Would have thought the reviewer would have had Listeners as #1 and Gal&Dino as #2 given her past preferences...My fav is Tower of God and again surprised the reviewer would like that. Confused
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:01 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
whereas "Isekai only consists of stories where the main character is reincarnated in another world" has a single, uncontroversial answer.

First off, that's not what the article said. And if you think there's a single, uncontroversial answer as to what does and does not count as isekai, you haven't been paying attention to the pages of arguments that have been devoted to it. Does time-travel count as another world? How about computer games or novels? Inter-stellar/-dimensional travel to new worlds? Dream worlds? The answers depend on perspective as much as "what is anime/animation?" does.

It's not even that it's not an interesting discussion, but it's basically off-topic. "Isekai anime have an [an, one of many, not the one and only] expected formula: person from our dies due to an accident only to wake up in a fantasy land and usually with some new superpowers." It was a quick, throwaway line to describe the specific flavor of isekai that Villainess overturns, without taking up a paragraph enumerating all the variations it has nothing to do with. It wasn't an authoritative declaration of the definition of isekai, nor was it intended to be. Nitpicking that without even addressing the gist of the article (our favorites so far this season - what's yours?) just seemed petty to me, over one sentence from one entry in the List. YMMV, but I won't derail this further.

(tbh, I was much more annoyed by the missing word in the quote than the description. Very Happy)
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Canl rank them, but Kakushigoto, Wave, Love is War, Arte, Ascendence of a Bookworm, Sing Yesterday for me, Tower of God, and even Glepnir are in my list.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:51 pm Reply with quote
so anyone have a list of shows that are delayed now due to Winnie-the-Pooh being more concerned about appearances then stopping covid-19.

And yes I did reference the leader of china as winnie the pooh, why because he hates it.

I would prefer not to watch two episodes and then wait for months for the rest of the series
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:17 am Reply with quote
@Gina Szanboti I know there are lengthy discussions about what is included in the genre (or almost any genre or category in anime) - I’ve been part of such discussions - but the genre including both main characters who reincarnated and ones that were transported without dying is not a controversial matter, and few if any would dispute the latter type is included in the genre. That was all I was referring to when I said that.

But onto the premieres. I would say my favorites were Bookworm, Kaguya, Villainess, Yesterday, and Wave, Listen to Me, though with all the delays, Villainess and Yesterday may win by default. As I discussed in another thread, I did find myself relating to Yesterday’s Rikuo, having been in a similar situation only a few years ago, having failed to get a career out of college and stuck in a job that didn’t require such a degree, though with the addition of a boatload of student debt that many in America are dealing with. I’ve managed to get past that point in my life, but I still remember the feeling. Though I find myself more interested in where Shinako and Haru’s arcs go.

Beyond those 5, I’d add Fruits Basket, Gleipnir, and Tower of God, though the latter more so after the second and third episodes than the first. I’d also count myself among the apparent few that enjoyed Gal & Dino.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:22 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:

This is like saying that all fiction is "fantasy:" only correct if you don't know how words work.
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:30 pm Reply with quote
The 'alternative 5', which doesn't buy into any corporal pressures or which ride the hype train:

1. BNA
2. Wave! Listen to Me
3. Princess connect: Re:Dive
4. Idolish7 Second Beat
5. Woodpecker Detective's Office

(Just really wanted to mess with the results, can't always be a shop liking what I'm told to like)
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:22 pm Reply with quote
AwaysAnnoyed wrote:
The 'alternative 5', which doesn't buy into any corporal pressures or which ride the hype train:

1. BNA
2. Wave! Listen to Me
3. Princess connect: Re:Dive
4. Idolish7 Second Beat
5. Woodpecker Detective's Office

(Just really wanted to mess with the results, can't always be a shop liking what I'm told to like)

What exactly are your criteria for not "buy[ing] into corporal [sic] pressures?" Wave, Listen to Me is based on a manga by an influential and popular author. BNA is being made by a hugely successful animation studio.

Idolish7 and Princess Connect are based on mobile games. They're basically commercials. This doesn't stop them from being good, because they are, but their primary function is to get people to play the game and buy character goods.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Ascendance of a Bookworm Part 2 at least deserves an honorable mention Wink
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:53 am Reply with quote
More than honorable mention, Ascendance of a Bookworm 2 is IMHO the best continuing show and I kick myself for not editing by previous post, because ToG is only my fav new show. However, it seems such a good show doesn't appear on the the columnist's radar at all, which should not surprise anyone familiar with their previous lists.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2