• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Does Promare Still Bring the Heat?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Promare an awful awful lot! But the only part I couldn't get into was the Lio-Galo ship, mostly because Lio gets called "a kid" at least twice to my memory in the dub, and it makes me really uncomfortable to be championing a ship between an adult and an ambiguously aged minor. That said, I heartily enjoyed seeing this in theaters for the first time alongside several people who had clearly already seen the movie at least once, but were still having the time of their lives. Trigger's particular brand of over-the-top nonsense may no longer be new, but I'm always down for this kind of high-octane ridiculousness. Laughing
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Didn't recognize the image. So what is Trigger's other show that is in Netflix hell.

I haven't watched Promare. Guess I will have to, after all, I loved Kill la Kill.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:55 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
I enjoyed Promare an awful awful lot! But the only part I couldn't get into was the Lio-Galo ship, mostly because Lio gets called "a kid" at least twice to my memory in the dub

For what it's worth, Trigger has stated that Lio and Galo are both around working age - I can't find the exact quote but I believe it stated that they were old enough for office jobs - so Lio is old enough that it's not creepy. He's just small and skinny.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:01 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:
I enjoyed Promare an awful awful lot! But the only part I couldn't get into was the Lio-Galo ship, mostly because Lio gets called "a kid" at least twice to my memory in the dub

For what it's worth, Trigger has stated that Lio and Galo are both around working age - I can't find the exact quote but I believe it stated that they were old enough for office jobs - so Lio is old enough that it's not creepy. He's just small and skinny.

He called him a 'kid' because he was expecting someone MUCH older. Remember that the Mad Burnish have been around for thirty years. Lio only became leader a few years before the events of the movie, but it stands to reason Galo thought the leader was going to be someone at least in their fifties, judging by how long Mad Burnish has been around.

But yes, Lio and Galo are about the same age. They're in their early twenties.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:05 pm Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:

But yes, Lio and Galo are about the same age. They're in their early twenties.

Oh, sweet! Shipping set sail, then! Laughing
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:48 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Didn't recognize the image. So what is Trigger's other show that is in Netflix hell.

BNA: Brand New Animal

So is Promare actually out now, or is it still in theaters? I assumed there would be a digital release with the pandemic and all that.

Last edited by v1cious on Tue May 05, 2020 5:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Crpt774

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone else get cheers in the theater when the kiss happened? Because say what you like about the films plot, the atmosphere it created was electric On FIRE.

Wish I could rewatch it, but the UK doesn't get it released on disk until June 1st, and Anime Ltd hasn't opened preorders yet.
Grimvice

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Ok honestly....

Why the hell are people still freaking out about a firefighter giving CPR to another dude?

bUt ThEy'Re ToTaLlY kIsSiNg GuYs ItS cAnOn.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Grimvice wrote:
Ok honestly....

Why the hell are people still freaking out about a firefighter giving CPR to another dude?

Fujos gonna fujo.

Shipping ruins every fandom.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:07 pm Reply with quote
That it does.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
Grimvice wrote:
Ok honestly....

Fujos gonna fujo.

I stand corrected Laughing
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
Grimvice wrote:
Ok honestly....

Fujos gonna fujo.

Actually, shipping is a valid form of engaging with, interpreting, and reinterpreting text that is as old as storytelling itself and a lot of popular media wouldn't exist without it!
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the spirit of innovation, though, I have to give Promare credit for dishing out the least subtle analogy for ICE I've ever seen.

Calling them the Freeze Force is just the cherry on top

I remember when Imaishi himself had to come out and tell people that was not their intention at all. Kind of shocking when the director himself gets so upset about something they have to speak up to shut down such wild fan accusations.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:23 pm Reply with quote
If "shipping ruins every fandom", then the fact that the contemporary anime industry has pretty much propped itself up on the back of a certain semi-annual doujinshi convention might suggest that anime fandom has been "ruined" since long before it ever came to the West. Wink

El Hermano wrote:
Quote:
In the spirit of innovation, though, I have to give Promare credit for dishing out the least subtle analogy for ICE I've ever seen.

Calling them the Freeze Force is just the cherry on top

I remember when Imaishi himself had to come out and tell people that was not their intention at all. Kind of shocking when the director himself gets so upset about something they have to speak up to shut down such wild fan accusations.

Could you link me to the interview where he sounds "upset" about it, because when he's asked about it here:

https://otakuusamagazine.com/power-promare-interview-studio-trigger/
Quote:
Along with the firefighter-style heroes of Burning Rescue, there is a more militarized organization in Promare known as the Freeze Force who combats the Burnish as well. The visual depiction of the Freeze Force as well as the actions they take are very likely to be viewed by American fans in 2019 as metaphorical to our current events, especially with regards to whom we see the Freeze Force target. While Promare is a work of fiction such that any similarity to real life is purely coincidental, what can you tell us about what influenced the depiction of the Freeze Force?

We don’t have a particular incident or group that the Freeze Force is based on. But maybe there is some atmosphere of the current era that naturally gets in there.

and here

https://www.cbr.com/interview-promare-anime-creative-team/
Quote:
There’s a layer of political commentary in Promare that I think American viewers will find especially relevant and interesting. Were you thinking about current events when developing Promare?

Imaishi and Wakabayashi's joint answer: The simple answer will be no. We only incorporated these political aspects because we wanted to project a near-future modern world very similar to ours. We just wanted to throw a little reality into the film, and in order to do that, we have to make a resemblance. It wasn't intentionally about a message.

his response just came across to me as fairly unemotional. Laughing
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:55 pm Reply with quote
It's a very coy answer from them, which isn't anything new from the anime industry. Them saying the simple answer isn't that it's a direct allegory, but hey they're a real organization that exists and they used that reality in their movie, and it just so happens that those actions make them pretty awful bad guys in the movie. Them stating that's the "reality" speaks plenty loudly about any organization that operates that way. So the long answer is "No it's not specifically ICE, because it's ICE and anyone else that acts in that manner." Trying to pretend there's not a blunt message in a Trigger work is amazingly obtuse, but hey you've got Nick's post above to prove some people still will be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2