• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli, Goro Miyazaki Make CG Anime of Earwig and the Witch Novel by Howl's Moving Castle's Di

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:58 am Reply with quote
I'll reserve judgement for when I see footage.

Never read the source material due to being out of it's target age when it released, but if it's written by Diana Wynne Jones then I'm pretty excited
andyos
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:21 am Reply with quote
Looking up the book online, it appears to have been the prolific author's very final story, published just after her death. Reviews seem to concur that it's aimed for younger readers than most of her books, and substantially shorter and simpler. (In contrast, Howl's Moving Castle - which was altered greatly in the Ghibli version - seems to have been one of Jones' most beloved books.)
IceLeaf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:35 am Reply with quote
Earwig and the Witch is one of the youngest audiences of her books. It's much more simplistic in writing style and doesn't go into heavier themes that her other books do. There are probably going to be less deviations from the source material and it also is about half the length of Howl's Moving Castle so might not be condensed down as much.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:55 am Reply with quote
Sounds interesting enough--looking forward!
Alestal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:14 am Reply with quote
andyos wrote:
Looking up the book online, it appears to have been the prolific author's very final story, published just after her death. Reviews seem to concur that it's aimed for younger readers than most of her books, and substantially shorter and simpler. (In contrast, Howl's Moving Castle - which was altered greatly in the Ghibli version - seems to have been one of Jones' most beloved books.)

That is not correct. Her final story was The Islands of Chaldea and it was completed by her sister. It was a very good book, but lacked Diana's trademark spontaneous style towards the end of the novel (understandably).

I'm very excited for this adaption. I have not read this novel, but I own many of Diana's books and have read many of them over-and-over again.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:45 pm Reply with quote
So can we take this to mean Ghibli is back beyond Miyazaki's own upcoming movie? For the longest time they were done making movies and were mostly focused on preserving their library of films and their museum. And have Miyazaki and Goro reconciled with each other for them to be working together again? Last I heard they had a pretty tumultuous relationship after the Earthsea movie. Also surprised it's CGI given Miyazaki's reluctance towards it but maybe he's opening up to it now after doing that caterpillar short? I'm excited to see how this turns out especially after Goro's previous work on Ronja.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I keep meaning to check out Ronja, the robber's daughter. From up on Poppy Hill was quite good, though I didn't care at all for his Wizard of Earthsea (it was really closer to Shuna's Journey than it was to LeGuin's book).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:21 am Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1