• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'So I'm a Spider, So What?' Anime Unveils January 2021 Delay, 6-Month Run, Visual

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dextres

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:53 pm Reply with quote
So,

I'm will be the first one to say it. Is there impregnation involves with this light novel fantasy? To follow up, is this a dark fantasy with some seinen elements to it?
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:43 pm Reply with quote
No mention of Crunchyroll already having the license or that Yen Press will hold a "premiere" of the anime during their Anime Expo stream in July?
linkhuesitos15

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:03 am Reply with quote
Dextres wrote:
So,

I'm will be the first one to say it. Is there impregnation involves with this light novel fantasy? To follow up, is this a dark fantasy with some seinen elements to it?

The novel doesn't have the enough amount of darkness to be an edgy novel but it's also not an all happy world where nothing really happens. It has a good middle ground were there're good people but also really shitty ones.
Heart of the Foreign God

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:13 am Reply with quote
Dextres wrote:
So,

Not really.
There are deaths, yes, and graphic violence when hunting monsters but nothing really out there.
It's a light hearted Isekai with videogame mechanics with a skill tree and leveling/evolution system where the protagonist race just so happens to be a spider that doesn't want to starve to death
But nothing like Goblin Slayer Ep01 or Berserk
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:25 am Reply with quote
Dextres wrote:
So,

To add to what others have said, Spider could be thought of as Arifureta done right. The titular character eventually gets very powerful, but she has to struggle mightily and be very clever just to survive long enough for that to happen, and unlike with Arifureta, that won't be hand-waved; about half of the story should be about that, and the battles she will get in should be thrilling. The spider also has a fun personality, and I trust a veteran like Aoi Yuki to portray it right. As game mechanics-based isekai series go, it's one of the best.

I'm very glad to see this finally on the schedule (I had been worried about it), and two consecutive cours is a super-big plus. I suspect that means that the series will probably cover the first five novels unless the storytelling is heavily reordered (definitely possible, since the source material jumps around a lot), as none of the next few novels after that offer a good stopping point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:26 am Reply with quote
Heart of the Foreign God wrote:
Dextres wrote:
So,

Not really.
There are deaths, yes, and graphic violence when hunting monsters but nothing really out there.
It's a light hearted Isekai with videogame mechanics with a skill tree and leveling/evolution system where the protagonist race just so happens to be a spider that doesn't want to starve to death
But nothing like Goblin Slayer Ep01 or Berserk

To try and build off this a bit, the series I always find myself comparing this one to is Tensura. If you're not familiar with that one, I'd take a look at it, because the types of humor used in both series are fairly similar.

On the specific impregnation question. No, there's none of that within the first 8 volumes spoiler[unless you count off-screen egg laying], which is already more than the anime is likely to cover.

Edit comment: I like Key's "Arifureta done right" comparison; I was thinking about comparing it to that in addition to Tensura, but... it doesn't really have any of the edge that pervades much of Arifureta.
linkhuesitos15

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:31 am Reply with quote
Ryujin99 wrote:
On the specific impregnation question. No, there's none of that within the first 8 volumes spoiler[unless you count off-screen egg laying], which is already more than the anime is likely to cover.

tbf There're a few extreme scenes but most likely the anime won't reach that far.
spoiler[Headless Shiro, Kumo crushing the brain of some bandits, vampy's arm being blow up and Wrath eating his goblin little sister]
Anneyuno1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:06 am Reply with quote
This isekai looks interesting and a bit original. Reminds me to slime definitely check this one out though, also the protagonist is female that means No stupid perverted beta male with Harem and silly cliches. Very Happy
LiteMangime

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:31 am Reply with quote
Called it that it would be pushed back, even before the pandemic. Though this infuriates me to no end, the announcement of at least being slated plus the super added bonus of this being two cour more than makes up for it. With this now confirmed with 24-ish episodes, and depending on how they structure the anime, they'll leave off on an great stopping point, I would be satisfied even if they never get a second season, 'course it never hurts to have more Wink
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:59 am Reply with quote
I was going to skip this due to my intense arachnophobia, but, seeing the cover illustration, they seem to have actually managed to make a spider cute. Looking forward to this!
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:06 am Reply with quote
linkhuesitos15 wrote:
Ryujin99 wrote:

tbf There're a few extreme scenes but most likely the anime won't reach that far.
spoiler[Headless Shiro, Kumo crushing the brain of some bandits, vampy's arm being blow up and Wrath eating his goblin little sister]

Good point, though with 2 cour we may see a bit of that, but yeah, most of those scenes are definitely beyond what the anime is likely to cover.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:34 am Reply with quote
I think this is better than slime unless strategy battles really bore you.
I had low hopes for this anime, because I tought they would just rush through the material, but having aoi yuki on board makes me think they won't waste her and will make something decent.
Toloran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:00 am Reply with quote
CrypticPurpose wrote:
I was going to skip this due to my intense arachnophobia, but, seeing the cover illustration, they seem to have actually managed to make a spider cute. Looking forward to this!

If you legit have arachnophobia, you still probably don't want to watch this. There are a lot of spiders in this series and all of them but her *don't* look cute like her.

On a different note: Although I understand why they did it, I wish they had gone with the manga art-style for kumo-chan rather than the light novel style.
dcmc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:47 am Reply with quote
why is still no mention on any of its staff after this long?
this is very unusual to not even know the studio that working on it.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who thinks she looks really cute? Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3