• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yuu Watase: 'Working to Resume Arata: The Legend Manga'

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:45 am Reply with quote
I think this is the first time in a long while Watase has worked on a manga that isn't related to the Fushigi Yugi universe. It should be noted that Watase has come out as trans and x-gender as the article still refers to Watase with only female pronouns. Though I'm not entirely sure what pronouns Watase uses other than that they identify as x-gender.

Last edited by Cardcaptor Takato on Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:48 am Reply with quote
Per Shojo Beat, Watase still uses she/her. Japanese doesn't use pronouns nearly as often as English does so I can't image it's as big a deal there.

Source: https://officialshojobeat.tumblr.com/post/188142422969/i-heard-that-yuu-watase-came-out-as-x-gender-do#:~:text=Watase's%20preferred%20pronouns%20are%20she%2Fher.

Last edited by all-tsun-and-no-dere on Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:56 am Reply with quote
^Thanks. I tried to find what Watase's prefer pronouns were as I didn't see it in the original Twitter thread where she came out as x-gender.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I think this is the first time in a long while Watase has worked on a manga that isn't related to the Fushigi Yugi universe.

Not necessarily. Back in 2007/8, she did work on Sakura Gari, a fairly obscure yaoi manga (Which IMHO is one of the best BL manga ever, even if it still does indulge in some really...cringey tropes par for the course for the genre).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1