• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Street Fighter Game Producer Yoshinori Ono Leaves Capcom This Summer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:19 am Reply with quote
A lot of people are going to be very happy about this.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:03 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
A lot of people are going to be very happy about this.

Really? He seem well-liked.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:29 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
More like equally liked and hated, actually. He's a cool guy in person, but despite the initial success of SF4 which people liked, FGC can also have the full rights to hate him for the literal introduction to FG the old 90's publishment model of SF with paid updates, which actually a rudimental and supposed to die with modern digital era of publishing and game updating, making the initial launch roster of the game lesser to expand it later through season passes, and basically making all modern fighting games copying that model (outside of SSBU, but even it now have a DLC characters) and become GaS, where the actual full game is available to the players only after a couple of years and constant payments along with the game initial price, if you buy it on the launch.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:13 pm Reply with quote
^ Still preferable to buying the same game at full price multiple times a in a row like Fighting games of Old, but it can be exploited pretty easily.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:24 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
v1cious wrote:
More like equally liked and hated, actually. He's a cool guy in person, but despite the initial success of SF4 which people liked, FGC can also have the full rights to hate him for the literal introduction to FG the old 90's publishment model of SF with paid updates, which actually a rudimental and supposed to die with modern digital era of publishing and game updating, making the initial launch roster of the game lesser to expand it later through season passes, and basically making all modern fighting games copying that model (outside of SSBU, but even it now have a DLC characters) and become GaS, where the actual full game is available to the players only after a couple of years and constant payments along with the game initial price, if you buy it on the launch.

Aren't Street Fighter V updates free?
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Thinking fighting games wouldn't have had DLC characters and season passes if it weren't for Ono is, at the very least, naive.
IdeaOfEvil

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:43 pm Reply with quote
So long to the last thread of ever hoping to see a new Darkstalkers game released...
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Thinking fighting games wouldn't have had DLC characters and season passes if it weren't for Ono is, at the very least, naive.

Pretty much; the first DLC character for a fighting game was done by Arc System Works in Blazblue: Continuum Shift with Makoto. The first season pass was with Mortal Kombat. Plus the industry was already going into DLC by that point with loads of people wondering "Why don't they just make SSFIV DLC?" instead of a new SKU. Ono has genuine criticisms that can be lobbed his way, but putting him at the sole reason for DLC in fighting games existing is a bit ridiculous
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Frankly I’m cool woth character packs being released over time as opposed to buying multiple copies of the same game, but only on the grounds that the base game has the amount of content we expect from the genre. Dragon Ball FighterZ is a great example. The base game had a plethora of content at launch and only got better over time. Smash Bros Ultimate had literally every character from the franchise up to thag point and still added content for free in addition to DLC. Meanwhile Street Fighter V didn’t even launch with an arcade mode and we got two versions of Marvel Vs Capcom 3 in less than a year followed by an laughably bad sequel.

I don’t think this is Ono’s fault by any means, but I do think his contributions to the FGC were exploited by greedy publishers.
YareYareDaZe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I met Yoshinori Ono twice in my time in Japan, once for an event for Tatsunoko vs Capcom (that was before the release of the Wii version)and another one during a Tokyo game show (I'm bad with years ^^; All I remember it was before the general release of Street Fighter IV in Japan). I only got to talk to him during the Tatsunoko event (I have a picture of him with me somewhere in my backups). He was really nice and even listened to what was probably an impossible request : Make Dan (and have him) in the next Street Fighter as strong as he was In Street Fighter vs Capcom. Yeah I been playing Dan since he first appeared in Alpha (I think), but Dan in MvC, although with his usual terrible range of his moves, his super dragon punch really packed a punch. I pissed sooo many people beating them with Dan at my local arcade. Sigh those were the days.

Back to the topic ... he said he would try with a really strained smile. I'm actually surprised he lasted that long with Capcom because, from what I saw at those times and then later on pictures on the net, he always looked like he barely sleeps as Capcom would work him to the bone. I hope he takes a well deserved vacation before his next gig.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:00 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Aren't Street Fighter V updates free?

Arcade Edition was free while Champion Edition was paid.
HeWhoSlapsAll

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:09 am Reply with quote
As long as the girls in SF6 are still thick and all the men got big hands & feet, I'm good. Gotta stay on brand, yo.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:57 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:

If the Smash Community is any indication with the constant butthurt of what happens with every game no people don't have "full rights" to hate him.

And what's dumber is that Ono is leaving of his own free will as opposed to getting fired for being a hack or pissing off his bosses and his departure isn't necessarily going to lead to any new fighting games Capcom developed to move away from any of the problems that cropped up in stuff like Street Fighter X Tekken and MvC Infinite. Sure hope though this isn't from burn out like he once joked about as the reason for why Kenji Inafune quit Capcom.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1