• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Chainsaw Man GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Chainsaw Man has been one of my top weeklies since it started. It's wild, fun, often deep and/or sad, and almost always goes in an unexpected direction -as soon- as you begin to feel comfortable. It is not the non-stop nihilism-fest Fire Punch was, that's for sure.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Without a doubt, Chainsaw Man is one of the best ongoing Jump titles, given its absurd global popularity even before an anime adaptation, we can safely assume the best has yet to come for its peak.

I've seen lots of mixed views on Fire Punch, but I still believe it is one of best manga that focuses on the theme of revenge and its aftermath, which I gave Mr. Fujimoto lots of credit for his incredible talent on writing and characterization. When people asking me to give an example of revenge story done (exceptionally) well, Fire-punch is one of my go-to examples in popular culture category for a reason.

Chainsaw man, on the other hand, it's quite tame on comparison in terms of raw violence (come on guys, it's a Shonen Jump title) but still preserves the surreal tone that Fujimoto excels, I can't wait for Mr. Beckett to be further pleasantly surprised about how well-crafted this seemingly crude story is.

Last edited by Engineering Nerd on Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:58 pm; edited 3 times in total
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh man ANN already got a review copy? CSM is probably my top manga in WSJ currently and I plan to buy every volume as they come out. Can't wait to collect it and I hope Fujimoto still has 100+ more chapters to go (though recent chapters have been hard to read, I am eagerly awaiting some sort of resolution).

Konopan wrote:
Y'all forgot
Cons
-cereal box cover

Maybe I'm in the minority or something but I really like the English/Viz logo!

Last edited by LegitPancake on Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Konopan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Y'all forgot
Cons
-cereal box cover
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Really didn't know anything this series,besides the hilarious blunt and to the point title. Just going off your review, I'm going to get myself a copy! Sounds like my cup of tea.
R.Obliv

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I've really been enjoying Chainsaw man through the Jump app - the chapters covered within this volume are good, however I would say the gross out stuff can obscure how smart the series is at first glance. I must admit, as I was unfamiliar with the mangaka's previous work, I just assumed this would be a dumb gore fest when I first read it. I was completely wrong. There's some real thought behind this series which is demonstrated time and time again as it continues. I'm not sure whether it's ambitious direction as of late will stick the landing, but I am enjoying the journey a whole bunch. Anyone who hasn't heard of this series should really check it out.

Furthermore, the panel composition is beautiful in this series, particularly in the most recent chapters. Some of the best I've ever seen in shounen. It really makes you appreciate how the structure of the page is just as important as the writing and artwork for conveying emotion in manga.
trilaan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:19 am Reply with quote
Groovy.
kpossibles

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:01 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the review!! I'm really excited to see how they changed the very stylized Japanese SFX to English. It's one of my top ongoing manga in Weekly Shonen Jump each week.

fyi here's the link to it on Viz for anyone who wants to read the first 3 chapters for free: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapters/chainsaw-man

or Manga Plus: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/titles/100037 Anime catgrin
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The answer, for Denji, is “touch boobs”

He must face some unique difficulties with that due to, y'know, the chainsaws.

And, "Groovy," indeed... it's hard not to see this as a manga version of the (in)famous Doom Guy comic. Which also, incredibly, had some content that wasn't just gory violence (a random lament about pollution). I doubt I could sit through more than a couple chapters of that sort of thing, though; kooky violence/horniness gets old quickly, even if there's other stuff going on.
InimitableUman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I think Denji is 16, even though he seems older.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Eat your heart out, Juliet Starling! What do you think the odds are of this getting an anime?
Lin Liren

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Very appropriately named pun-protagonist:

"Denji", when split into its components "Den-Ji", is literally the Japanese Pronunciation for
"Electric-Saw"

This title could prove most amusing.... Wink
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Not feelin' it. Dude's so emo, he makes Naruto look gangsta by comparison.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1