• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Confirms Azur Lane Anime's Uncut BD Release With TV-14 Rating

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:32 pm Reply with quote
You might want to link where the RACS information came from. The only way to know for sure is when the Blu-ray is in people's hands, what was more likely is FUNimation having not received the home video masters rather than intentionally censoring it. There have been numerous incidents over the years of companies accidentally releasing the TV broadcast masters as they were sent them by mistake, like Martian Successor Nadesico, almost Ben-To (FUNimation delayed the release when this was caught), Sankarea (later fixed), Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan: Demon Capital, The Vision of Escaflowne (Bandai never got the Director's Cut version of Episodes 1-7), Kare Kano, Sakura Diaries, Episode 61 of Hajime no Ippo, Tsugumomo, and the list goes on.

Last edited by BigOnAnime on Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bisuketto

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:38 pm Reply with quote
That's good to hear, but I'm a bit leery for anything Funimation states anymore. Which I hate to feel since they used to be my favorite company.

Their track record for the last year or so hasn't been the most stellar (quality issues, pulling content, etc.). As well as releasing the wrong versions (broadcast VS disc).

Here's hoping they are telling the complete story this time.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I won’t believe Funimation until the Blu Rays are released. They also advertised that Tsugumomo was uncut when they actually released the broadcast version. In the end, I’ll buy Azur Lane if it actually is uncut, but I’ll pass if it’s the broadcast version or some garbage like that. I just don’t trust Funimation these days.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:59 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
The only way to know for sure is when the Blu-ray is in people's hands

It's a shame there's so much mistrust in the community. I agree with you given Funimation's and other company's past transgressions, but it's still a shame that this is where we're at these days. Always wait until something comes out and other people can go over it before getting it is my motto.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:20 pm Reply with quote
While I understand fans being frustrated wanting the uncensored version is it really such a huge deal that fans were ok with watching the broadcast version streaming but not for buying the physical release? This isn’t like something where it alters the plot in any way or something like Terraformers where the censorship made the show unwatchable and it’s not like it’s being censored by Funimation themselves against the studio’s wishes.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
While I understand fans being frustrated wanting the uncensored version is it really such a huge deal that fans were ok with watching the broadcast version streaming but not for buying the physical release? This isn’t like something where it alters the plot in any way or something like Terraformers where the censorship made the show unwatchable and it’s not like it’s being censored by Funimation themselves against the studio’s wishes.

Yes, it is.

If you promise no edits, and you edit, you are not trustworthy as a platform. Plain and simple.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yes, it is.

If you promise no edits, and you edit, you are not trustworthy as a platform. Plain and simple.
Yet before they put out this statement the Internet was ready to burn them at the stake when they hadn’t said if it would be edited or not then and people were just getting outraged over Internet rumors from a source with a dubious record and over a fairly typical bathhouse episode.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Yes. The home video releases are supposed to be the home video versions. I’ll be blunt here and say that I like fanservice, but there’s animation touch ups outside of that. The home video releases nearly always look better because they fix the animation mistakes.

Also, let’s be honest. This is Azur Lane. People are mainly into it for the girls and the fanservice. If you take that away, then there’s not much there especially the anime.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:38 pm Reply with quote
It’s just when I was growing up as a kid we grew up with dubs like Robotech, Voltron, the DiC Sailor Moon, and Cardcaptors and the companies never told us back then they weren’t “the real” versions of them. We had to find that out ourselves and even when we did the localized dubs were often the only way we had to watch them back in the days of AOL dial up. So when these are the biggest censorship issues supposedly ruining anime and proving anime companies are evil liars or whatever and modern anime fans get angry about I don’t quite get it.
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Fans put up with censored gore/ecchi because it is the broadcast version. No one wants slapped-on black haze/god rays/thick mist/technicolor blood distracting them from an otherwise artistically consistent product. Expectations for private ownership are completely different.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
A selling point of Blu-rays and DVDs for anime both here and in Japan is that you get animation fixes, more gore, and more nudity (unless you're Nisekoi because Shaft loves to make no sense on their TV vs. Blu-ray modifications, and can get ridiculous, like in the case of Bakemonogatari). When people buy a show, it's usually to keep it in their collection forever, and that's the version they'll keep watching. Getting the TV broadcast version instead of the home video can be a deal breaker for some people. Also, you can have extended episodes. Violet Evergarden, High School DxD New, Date A Live, Date A Live II, Gatchaman Crowds, My-Hime, and The iDOLM@STER: Xenoglossia have "Director's Cut" episodes for example, and in the case of Gatchaman Crowds, the DC version of the final episode is needed to understand the second season, Gatchaman Crowds Insight. People weren't too happy when Sentai Filmworks for whatever reason did not get the DC cut version of the final episode for Gatchaman Crowds.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:43 pm Reply with quote
At least this is a better response than their Dragonball Super: Broly release issues which was basically just "shut up, nerds". But we'll still have to wait and see if it's actually true or not.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
While I understand fans being frustrated wanting the uncensored version is it really such a huge deal that fans were ok with watching the broadcast version streaming but not for buying the physical release?

I mean, one you can watch for free while the other requires money. If you have to pay money for something it should be better, especially in an industry where it's really easy for people to circumvent you and watch the uncensored version elsewhere.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It’s just when I was growing up as a kid we grew up with dubs like Robotech, Voltron, the DiC Sailor Moon, and Cardcaptors and the companies never told us back then they weren’t “the real” versions of them. We had to find that out ourselves and even when we did the localized dubs were often the only way we had to watch them back in the days of AOL dial up. So when these are the biggest censorship issues supposedly ruining anime and proving anime companies are evil liars or whatever and modern anime fans get angry about I don’t quite get it.

I grew up with those too. I got into anime because of Toonami. Broadcast versions still suck. Expectations were lower back then and fans were less knowledgeable. The anime industry has grown and thankfully we have higher expectations now.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Softimation

Go import the BDs if you want this anime, I doubt this is one of their TV cut accidents, they've gone soft like a pillow and more scared of their shadow than the Cowardly Lion.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:51 pm Reply with quote
It’s fine to be disappointed and critical and demand better from companies. But in the grand scheme of things is Azur Lane having one generic bathhouse episode with slightly extra fog where anime fans on social media were accusing Funimation being worse than 4Kids? All I’m asking is that yes anime fans can be critical but also have a sense of perspective about things. And for fans saying the stream is “free” you are still paying Funimation a monthly subscription fee so they are getting your money and streaming numbers even if you don’t buy the physical.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6