• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Beastars Manga Ends in 3 Chapters, Anime Casts Yuuki Kaji

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:10 am Reply with quote
Huh. Beastars didn't last too long, did it? Oh well. If I ever get around to it, maybe I'll read the manga now that it's about to be finished.
Maleko Ai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:34 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Huh. Beastars didn't last too long, did it? Oh well. If I ever get around to it, maybe I'll read the manga now that it's about to be finished.

It seems that Paru no longer knew what to do with the plot is really a mess and become boring.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I think it's definitely a case of a story that went on for far too long, longer than the writer had any plans for it. I wouldn't necessarily call it "boring" per se, but to me it has really jumped the shark a good while back, and it's just kind of ridiculous at this point. Too bad.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Not too far into Beastars, but sorry to hear it sadly seems to have been outstretched longer than it should have been... Sad

What volume/chapter does it start to decline, just wondering (no spoilers please as I'm still reading it)?
Hal14

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
Not too far into Beastars, but sorry to hear it sadly seems to have been outstretched longer than it should have been... Sad

What volume/chapter does it start to decline, just wondering (no spoilers please as I'm still reading it)?

Depends on who you ask but I believe most would agree the last arc and its antagonist were not well executed, to put it lightly.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:37 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

23 volumes isn't long? For a non-Jump series that's pretty above average I'd say.
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Haven't even look at the other comments on this thread, but......:

Obligatory "manga ending bad!!"comment that lacks all nuance, rationality, or coherent argument and instead relies on some obscure metric of success that no manga could possible live up to, even though my expectations for the One Piece ending are so high that they will be dashed too but I lack all self-awareness of this fact so I continue ranting into the void about endings of manga that are no were near as bad as I pretend they were.
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:31 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

22 volumes isn't that long? seems long enough to me not everything needs to be never ending.
Oggers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:19 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

Four years isn't that bad of a length of time for a manga. YuYu Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin both ran for four years, and they were big hits for Shonen Jump (particularly YYH).
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Can´t say the end result amounted to all that much when it comes to the story or it´s befuddling social commentary but the art is neat. My "good" rating will likely stand.
Let´s see if the anime will do the 2nd half. A theoretical 3rd season could maybe rush it but we are still talking about another 10 to 11 volumes if S2 again does 5,5 volumes. But I can´t see a demand for 4 seasons total so another half-finished anime is likely in the cards.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JonDoe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Is nobody going to point out the typo on the second sentence where it says "It there is no break". Feels like I should point that out.
Ensaru64

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:26 am Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:

The conclusion of the mystery surrounding Tem's murder should be a pretty good stopping point. If I dare say, it seemed that the way the series was written that the conclusion of Tem's murder was was supposed to be the ending. Reading past that point still isn't an awful read either. It's when the main antagonist for the following arc introduced itself is when the plot went off the rails.

I don't regret reading up until the end; the jumbled mashup of plot points and wacky hijinks were entertaining in its own way, but man was it a major blemish on one of the best written and most compelling shonen titles I've read in a while.
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:03 am Reply with quote
Ensaru64 wrote:
Sailor Sedna wrote:

The conclusion of the mystery surrounding Tem's murder should be a pretty good stopping point. If I dare say, it seemed that the way the series was written that the conclusion of Tem's murder was was supposed to be the ending. Reading past that point still isn't an awful read either. It's when the main antagonist for the following arc introduced itself is when the plot went off the rails.

I don't regret reading up until the end; the jumbled mashup of plot points and wacky hijinks were entertaining in its own way, but man was it a major blemish on one of the best written and most compelling shonen titles I've read in a while.

I agree with all of this. It really seems like the mangaka had never thought about the story or the characters beyond that first arc. Everything after that is clunky at best, then it gets increasingly asspull-y, until the point where one just keeps going "oh come the hell on" and "seriously??"

It's still readable - how enjoyable it is depends on how invested you are in the characters, I guess. Personally I found the last arc just ridiculous, and a major disappointment, considering how good the first arc was.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1