• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Ascendance of a Bookworm, My Next Life as a Villainess, Reincarnated as a Slime, Re:ZERO T

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Does "fully voiced" mean an actor read the book (like on Audible) or is it a computer reading the book?
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:10 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Does "fully voiced" mean an actor read the book (like on Audible) or is it a computer reading the book?

I'm not entirely sure how a manga can be narrated, but a Youtuber with a sizable following recorded it and encouraged sales as he got a cut of each sale, leading to a crazy success which explains how it got so high.
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:51 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
here-and-faraway wrote:

I'm not entirely sure how a manga can be narrated, but a Youtuber with a sizable following recorded it and encouraged sales as he got a cut of each sale, leading to a crazy success which explains how it got so high.

CDawgVA directed an audiobook version, and he's in Japan as an employee of Kadokawa/Bookwalker so I doubt he's getting any sort of cut.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:20 am Reply with quote
I'm struck by how strong the correlation is between success in print and anime adaptations. I presume the relationship goes both ways. I know in a few cases like Chihayafuru the anime encouraged a substantial growth in manga sales. Certainly also true for Kimetsu no Yaiba now with lines of fans outside bookstores waiting to buy what is reportedly the final installment of that series. Still, do production committees generally choose to adapt manga that are already popular, or ones that are on the threshold of widespread popularity in an effort to broaden their exposure?
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:32 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I'm struck by how strong the correlation is between success in print and anime adaptations. I presume the relationship goes both ways. I know in a few cases like Chihayafuru the anime encouraged a substantial growth in manga sales. Certainly also true for Kimetsu no Yaiba now with lines of fans outside bookstores waiting to buy what is reportedly the final installment of that series. Still, do production committees generally choose to adapt manga that are already popular, or ones that are on the threshold of widespread popularity in an effort to broaden their exposure?

This is quite interesting. It may be rather delicate. Pick the manga that has a baseline popularity to skirt the line of profitability, but also pick the manga that has the potential to attract a bigger audience.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:56 pm Reply with quote
It's so nice to see Villainess and Bookworm be popular. Female-led isekai (especially shoujo!) needs more love.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
annasartin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:55 pm Reply with quote
To be honest the misleading title of this article is extremely disappointing. No mention of the actual #1 series in the article's title and the #2 title is the one represented in the thumbnail image. Too many LGBT+ titles and their achievements get buried to showcase more mainstream content, and it's extremely disappointing to see it happening here. I expected better from ANN.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1