• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Kingdoms of Ruin GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:38 am Reply with quote
If Adonis lives in the camp, he should be “paying” the same way the other residents do too, right? It’s a pet peeve of mine that fiction likes to write sexual assault as a female-only brand of suffering, even when it makes no sense, especially as sexual assault is rooted in power and dominance; sexual preferences have nothing to do with it.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:04 am Reply with quote
Yep, I've read a bit of this and it's edgy trash. Lot's of sexual violence purely for puppy-kicking villainy, lots of mass murder with bisected bodies, nonsensical betrayals and pointlessly pure and pacifist bland heroine to randomly stop edgy MC from this or that particular murder.
OtakuJakeSan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm in no way saying that I find the reviews details of the storyline and in story world/universe, to be something I'd relish to read, but we have seen it all before in the past, all of the negative things mentioned in the review, will be what captures people's attention (initial shock value sucking in a "non-typical-demographic", as well as those who enjoy edgy, violent, and controversial topics), sucks them in, and makes them avid, paying, long time readers of the manga.

I've always found this to be a weird result of stories such as this.

Hopefully, as the review suggests, now that the initial shock has taken place, and the in story world/universe/government/society/ideology has been established and set, the story will focus more on the character interactions/story, and the battle between magic and science, with the "threats" to magic users (women predominantly) being an unspoken fact in the background of the story, and not specifically spoken of in detail.

We'll have to watch where this one goes, and see what happens.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I loved this manga. For those who love revenge stories, this one has it. This is why I read manga and watch anime. Yeah, what is happening is not pretty, it is vicious, and it shows the lengths of depravity that humanity is willing to descend into, whether in manga and real life. For some that is a bridge too far, but for me, it is a revenge story's sweet spot. The evil empire and its populace had no problem committing genocide, and were even proud about it. They deserve the destruction coming their way. To the naysayers, the manga does show the ultimate results, both good and bad, of this revenge. Even the innocent die.

All things have a price, you going to commit genocide, you had better be prepared to pay the piper.

While I don't hope they tone things down, nor do I want our hero to end up in that second grave as they say about revenge. Hopefully that is what Doroka is going to help with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1