• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Babylon Anime for Home Video Release

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I hope they don't dub it because this anime is trash.
yuzumei

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:43 pm Reply with quote
The first half of the season was decent. The second half was crap.
As an interesting note, this is the first anime I've seen with a puertorrican character in the story.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:55 am Reply with quote
We're inching closer to the possibility that Re:Creators will be picked up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:40 am Reply with quote
I'm one of the rare people who liked this show even in the second half (though I didn't like the very end) so I'm excited to see this.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:06 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure why Sentai keeps licensing mainly the lower tier shows on Amazon and not picking up like Vinland Saga and Banana Fish. Is it cheaper or something?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:19 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm not sure why Sentai keeps licensing mainly the lower tier shows on Amazon and not picking up like Vinland Saga and Banana Fish. Is it cheaper or something?
You ask a good question. I'm surprised at Banana Fish the most, as it is the sort of show David Wald likes to direct and it would sell well. Maybe the rumour about it being an Aniplex title really are true.

Vinland Saga could be a case of them wanting to dub it, but worrying about casting. Sentai have a very small talent pool, as many people have left since the early 10s and few newcomers have taken their place. And as others have pointed out, the current ADR Directors don't get new people from theatre like Foster and Ayres commonly did. All of which is a problem when dubbing a show with a large rotating cast.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:54 am Reply with quote
Plently of people in Dallas that could be brought over, more so than usual now that everyone is remote recording. Doubt its something silly like that
Zendervai

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

For Banana Fish at least, it could be tied to something to do with the Noitamina deal. We've basically had a year where license agreements for the various shows have trickled out with three shows left over. It looks an awful lot like Amazon somehow managed to get a bundle deal, but all the others need to be dealt with independently because the really slow rate of licenses is really odd otherwise. We do know the Noitamina deal had nothing at all to do with Sentai since none of those shows popped up when HiDIVE first became a thing.

Vinland Saga at least might be something as simple as a timed exclusivity deal. We don't really know.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I also wonder how much of it comes down to license fees as we know license fees have become higher in recent years and maybe bigger name shows like Banana Fish and Vinland Saga might be too pricey for Sentai to afford especially now when they're slowly being pushed out of the competition by their rivals.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:30 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Plently of people in Dallas that could be brought over, more so than usual now that everyone is remote recording. Doubt its something silly like that
I thought that too, but then i remembered a podcast that John Gremillion was on awhile ago. He said that he records remotely for Funimation, but still goes in to Sentai to record.

If it's a case of cost. Then for Vinland Saga, when season 2 comes out, unless Amazon still simulacast it, it's likely to be picked up by Netflix or Funimation and then season 1 will get picked up afterwards. Banana Fish then may get a release 10 years from now by Discotek Media.

Or I'm wrong and Sentai announce one or both of them in a few months time. Though I would love to know why someone like Viz or Shout! Factory never pick any of these up.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:35 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Also Dororo

There are so many good anime not licensed and they pick up this awful series
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1