• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: 2.43: Seiin High School Boys Volleyball Team

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'd be lying if I didn't say the sport still feels more like a template, a medium for delivery of the story between the characters rather than a focal point the show is especially interested in.

I think that's true of pretty much every sports show, isn't it? I guess some are more character-focused than others, but the best ones do that. I noticed that you tried to explain your feeling about how this was different several times, but I still don't understand your reservations. Smile

I guess I do agree that there's more emphasis on the story going on between the leads than on the mechanics of the sport, whereas Haikyuu!! was more about just getting to play, if that's what you were after.

I was a bit annoyed at Haijima for not telling Kuroba why he was excluding him from the practices for so long. Let alone why they all seemed to have agreed to shut him out of the after-practice socializing as well. None of that really tracked for me.

I'm enjoying it a lot so far. The volleyball animation is more than adequate, stealing a few trademarks from Haikyuu!!, like the closeups of dynamic sneaker plants. As of episode 4, I've noticed they're paying attention to the dialect (I don't speak Japanese, but even I can hear that Kansai-ben sounds different, and the Fukui-ben sounds different to me as well) which is a nice touch.
Scoot

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:53 am Reply with quote
How is this anime even made? Doesn't this manga only have 3 chapters and on hiatus as well? I don't understand.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:07 am Reply with quote
Scoot wrote:
How is this anime even made? Doesn't this manga only have 3 chapters and on hiatus as well? I don't understand.

It's based on a novel, the manga is an adaptation of it too.
I was confused at first too lol
Akamaru_Inu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:29 pm Reply with quote
"The epic highs and lows of high school sports don't exist in a vacuum"

Ah, another cultured Riverdale fan, I see.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I really hope this week's episode will be the last time some stupid interpersonal drama will keep the characters from actually playing matches. I'd hate this to become another Battery.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:12 am Reply with quote
While I get that people could feel a little whiplash from the revelation that Haijima was set up, I welcomed that explanation because from what we were shown it never rang true to me that Haijima's temper tantrums had been so vicious and/or relentless that someone would try to kill themself to escape it. I could see it being a contributing factor perhaps, but it felt like something else had to be going on with the kid. It didn't seem like Haijima's behavior was any worse than Kageyama's in Haikyuu!!, but fortunately his teammates found a less destructive way to teach him a lesson.

I'm not sure what it is about this series, but watching an episode makes me feel like I'm on a pendulum and it makes me dizzy. I don't know if it's the shot framing or what, but it's weird. Btw, I do kinda like Noitamina's new logo animation. Smile
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:15 am Reply with quote
The way the show backpedals on Hajima's backstory to make it all a misunderstanding/setup just makes all the buildup to that point feel pointless now that they could have spent on the other characters or showing more volleyball matches and it just seems like they got cold feet with having to address serious difficult issues.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Whether what we get here is in fact engaging and entertaining on its own merits

What mostly kept me entertained (at least until the outburst of drama at the end) was that Fukuho's coach was Seido's coach from Ace of Diamond, plus that one kid's uncanny resemblance to Cameron in Ferris Bueller. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:48 am Reply with quote
Ep 7
Quote:
But it's tainted with the unspoken question of whether Haijima would be willing to stop himself from playing in a hypothetical situation where that would be best for the team (something we saw a glimpse of with him in the very first scene of the show, as a matter of fact), along with the implication that Shinichiro limiting his own playing would be at the behest of Haijima supposedly increasing his own total amount of game-time.

I'm not sure how this follows. The issue isn't if Oda (I always have to stop to figure out who Shinichiro is since no one calls him that) doesn't play as much, Haijima plays more. They play completely different positions. He only said he could make up for any lost attack power, not that he'd play more, since he's already playing all the time anyway, isn't he? And in the opening scene referred to, he already wasn't playing, which apparently wasn't best for the team, so his wanting to play wasn't entirely selfish. Sure, like everyone else, he wants to play, but mostly he wants to win, and he knows his skills are needed for that to happen. Even so, he did challenge Uchimura to try to take back his place as a starter over the first years.

I don't think Haijima has said anything strategically wrong either. It's just that he completely lacks the tact and social skills to make his point without it sounding confrontational or hurtful. And he's somewhat aware of that, which his frustrated toes revealed much more clearly than his words. Smile It doesn't help that his problem is probably due to his singular focus on volleyball to the exclusion of everything including empathy. He seemed genuinely shocked at the idea that Oda was more than a physical presence on the court.

One thing that really bugs me is that these are decisions that their coach should be making, not the captain. Didn't they say the coach was some kind of volleyball wizard, or did I imagine that? He barely seems interested in the job. Anyway, I love these kids.

The one question I have which will not be answered, is why 2.43 meters? That's such a random number. Why not 2.4 or 2.45 or 2.5? It's even more ridiculous in Imperial numbers (7 ft. 11 5/8 in.). Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:26 am Reply with quote
Ep. 9

Wow, does Fukui roll up the streets at dusk? That shot of the train rolling through what appeared to be downtown had exactly 3 people (standing together) and zero cars. It looked like a ghost town.
timber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The one question I have which will not be answered, is why 2.43 meters?

They mentioned it in one of the episodes, it's the height of the net for the matches once they reach the national tournament. That say, why 2.43m and not 2.44m (8 feet) like the height of a soccer goal.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:11 am Reply with quote
timber wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The one question I have which will not be answered, is why 2.43 meters?

They mentioned it in one of the episodes, it's the height of the net for the matches once they reach the national tournament. That say, why 2.43m and not 2.44m (8 feet) like the height of a soccer goal.

Yes, I know that, and it's why I followed up with " Why not 2.4 or 2.45 or 2.5? It's even more ridiculous in Imperial numbers (7 ft. 11 5/8 in.)." I've looked around for an answer, which seems to be "no one knows."

Considering all the understated sexual tension in Haijima and Kuroba's sunset chat at the end of episode 8, I thought it was pretty funny that Kuroba got a nosebleed again when Haijima complimented him.
Wasureta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:43 am Reply with quote
One thing I don't understand is that if Kuroba is Seiin's "ace", why didn't they protect their main weapon when receiving serves? Kuroba is only a decent passer too. Instead, he was forced to pass the first ball and be out of position to attack. Furthermore, from the overhead views, they used all five players to receive serves, which is way too many. At the high school level, they could get away by using three or four players receiving serves.

I may have observations on Oda's play for the cliffhanger. It depends on the results.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Yes, I know that, and it's why I followed up with " Why not 2.4 or 2.45 or 2.5? It's even more ridiculous in Imperial numbers (7 ft. 11 5/8 in.)." I've looked around for an answer, which seems to be "no one knows."

I think maybe I can answer that. I, too, looked around for an answer. What I found said the posts for the net are supposed to be exactly 8 feet tall. And, of course, no matter how taut you make it, a net is always gonna sag. So I guess they decided the allowable sag? That was my best guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:57 pm Reply with quote
That doesn't sound right to me. The nets shouldn't sag, but if they did, some would then sag more than others so it wouldn't be uniform across courts, and it also wouldn't be uniform across the length of the net itself, so where do you measure?

I do know that the official height has risen over the years as players got taller and more athletic (improved jumping technique). So it seems like it's kinda keyed into that, but what data they used to determine the new heights or what other means or reasons they had to arrive at those levels, no one seems to know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2