• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Release Editor Position

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:30 am Reply with quote
We're coming up on almost 4 years of the release scraper being broken, and thus, the release database has seriously been falling out of date, especially as many Encyclopedia Editors have increasingly become less active to manually add things. This is also quite apparent when multiple things in the Encyclopedia forum have been neglected, such as the duplicate company thread since September.
animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/releases.php?format=video
animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/releases.php?yearmonth=&format=manga

As it looks increasingly less likely the scraper will ever get fixed, would it at all be possible for a select few users to be given the ability to manually add and edit releases? They wouldn't be Encyclopedia Editors, but they'd have the ability to just manually add and edit releases, this was previously suggested here. I'd be up for the challenge with Blu-rays and DVDs, and you can see just how much I go into looking up info on releases given this which still hasn't been addressed. I'm also still finding numerous things that need to be corrected in the database. Someone else would need to handle manga and light novels though as I don't collect manga nor light novels much, nor do I actively follow news relating to them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v_i
Enjoying the time of EVE
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:59 am Reply with quote
I second this, and would also be willing to apply as an editor. I understand that the encyclopedia isn't exactly the site's top priority, and the release section even less so, and I'm assuming most of the old scrapers are broken beyond repair, but letting a select few do it manually seems like a good fix.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I've asked Dan to look into this possibility.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1