• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Godzilla vs. Kong Earns US$48.5 Million in 1st 5 Days in U.S.

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Guess I missed the memo that the pandemic was over and we should cram the theaters again.

Good for Godzilla but cases are rising in 20+ states...Superspreader theaters.
hikura

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Guess I missed the memo that the pandemic was over and we should cram the theaters again.

Good for Godzilla but cases are rising in 20+ states...Superspreader theaters.

Most if not all places should have no more than 50% capacity. The place i went to had 25% capacity.
It is good to hear that it went well for this movie.But movie places are not closed yet.How can they say it earned that much?I know they are projecting it for that much.But put out the numbers on Monday for exactly how much it earned.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I've seen Godzilla vs. Kong in 3D at my local theater.
It was definitely worth it.
Rob49152

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I watched it at home. Had movie theaters been open around here (Canada where we're still basically locked down) I'd have seen it there. It was enjoyable. Minus the Mille Bobby Brown story line. Yes It moved the plot along but I found their characters annoying. The people following the Kong story were more interesting. They did a great job with the Kong character even though I am a die hard Godzilla fanboy.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:11 am Reply with quote
I did the private screening thing. It was OK. I liked the deaf girl's relationship with Kong. It seemed a lot of this film was lost in editing. And is it a really good idea, in 2021, to have a storyline where a conspiracy theorist is right about everything?
Rob49152

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
And is it a really good idea, in 2021, to have a storyline where a conspiracy theorist is right about everything?

I'd agree with you but I think they portrayed him as being right about his conspiracy theories maybe 1 out of 10 times. The other characters would just give him this look and then walk away from him. Or just roll their eyes at him and he'd stop. (insert audience laughter here)

What I think would have been better idea for 2021 was if his podcast was about "Godzilla can't exist! No one actually credible saw Godzilla or other monsters! Kaiju are not real!! It was all a government mind control experiment gone wrong!! When it got out of control they nuked Chicago!!' and then when he was actually faced with the facts after the Apex attack he'd question his beliefs. That's why his wife left him (not died). After seeing Godzillas attack he'd have a bit of a breakdown and wander about the wreckage and discover the reactor. That's when the other characters ran into him as they were breaking into Apex. He'd follow along behind them but he'd start to question everything. His questions would lead the other characters to find solutions to the problem they were facing at that moment. This would lead him to 'wake up' and he'd start to feel better about himself. At the end of the movie you'd feel like he'd get his life back together.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1