• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sakura Wars Game App Introduces New Character Just Before Ending Service

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:03 am Reply with quote
Disappointing and awkward for any of the fans out there. As someone familiar with how the communities in games can be, I can imagine how much salt there is in the various social media outlets for the players. Odd choice not to just make the unit free, seeing as how they've committed to ending the game and can't earn any more money from it even if they wanted to. This seems like the decision-making behind the scenes contributed to the apparent failure of this project just as much as the circumstances.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:12 pm Reply with quote
LMAO what a joke.
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, I’m so over these mobile game spin-offs.

I’m still really pissed off about how Magia Record was handled over in North America. All of the events were really rushed, which a lot of people, including me, in the PMMM fandom agree was one of the primary reasons why the game ultimately wasn’t as popular over in North America as it is overseas and thus deserved to be shut down in the eyes of Aniplex.

It’s depressing really. So many mobile games are only around for about a year or so (sometimes for an even shorter period of time) before they meet their untimely shutdowns. A lot of them, in my opinion, are only there to make a quick buck off of already-popular franchises (and the fact that a lot of these mobile games are gacha games makes this factor make even more sense). It seems like only the really popular spin-off mobile games that are still around, like Fate Grand Order, only have lasted this long in general because they were handled very well domestically and overseas and have a lot of brand recognition.

I still feel like Magia Record had a chance of sticking around for at least another year or so in North America if the events of the game were pushed out less frequently from the very beginning.
Saiphaz

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Meowtain Duwu wrote:
Ugh, I’m so over these mobile game spin-offs.

I’m still really pissed off about how Magia Record was handled over in North America. All of the events were really rushed, which a lot of people, including me, in the PMMM fandom agree was one of the primary reasons why the game ultimately wasn’t as popular over in North America as it is overseas and thus deserved to be shut down in the eyes of Aniplex.

Magia Record was really a case study. It was doomed from the beginning thanks to executive meddling. Be it the questionable localization efforts, Aniplex' still astounding refusal to make the game available globally like other popular gachas, and the frantic pace that discouraged people from whaling in this game.

But seeing how they tried to give us stuff that the original didn't have, like our own original magical girl, I do think there was heart there, just that it was forced shut by the Aniplex execs. I have no doubt FGO would have followed the same path, had Type Moon and DW in Japan not forced their hand.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1