• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tokyo Revengers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yeehaw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Just call them! Hina has Emmas number! Takemichi just runs away like an idiot! And Takemichi is a 20-something who never cleans his apartment or washes his clothes, Hina deserves better!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Draken will die, because a) he's too cool, and b) in the original timeline he probably bled out while everyone was brawling and by the time anyone could notice he was down, it was too late. This time Takemichi found him within a minute or two, so he has a chance to save him.
BladeBlur

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:09 am Reply with quote
I am sorry, am I the only person who is bothered by the animation? They didn't show how Takemichi subdued Kiyomasa. He grabbed it, it transitioned to the sky with some struggle noises, and then next shot we see him on top. WHAT HAPPENED?!

I usually suspend my disbelief but it really took me out because the whole point of their confrontation is to see how he overcomes his biggest fear. If they don't show that exactly it makes the scene look amateurish.

The production values of the anime are much lower than I expected for a highly regarded manga, but hey, not every show can be Jujutsu Kaisen.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:43 am Reply with quote
No, you're not the only one bothered by that abrupt transition. I don't usually harp on animation unless it's really terrible (most times I don't even notice), but on that point, I found myself trying to imagine how he got from biting Kiyomasa on his stomach, to being on Kiyomasa's back, locking him in a chokehold. And I couldn't come up with anything that made sense. Hiding whatever that miracle move was behind a shot of rain falling from the sky above just didn't cut it.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:16 am Reply with quote
That bit at least can't be blamed on the animation. I figured from the quick cut that it was the international release trying to avoid showing the manji - again - and comparing it to the JP broadcast, yep!

Once more, reallllllly hoping whatever home release this series gets will find a better way to handle this, yeesh.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Oh thank you for that gif!
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:11 pm Reply with quote
So I'm thinking in two routes the story could take that would explain why ToMan would want to kill an unknown 26-year-old freeter Takemichi.

One would be that ToMan has a new boss (could be Kisaki or not) and they're going by a new name now so now they're trying to erase their past by killing anyone that ever knew them and could potentially identify them, this includes Takemichi.

Or we could go the The Butterfly Effect 3: Revelations™ route (spoilers for that, I guess...) spoiler[the person that's trying to kill Takemichi can travel through time too and is trying to prevent him from messing with their plans, or to correct a timeline where he already did.]
Wasureta

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Based on the translated conversation between Hina and Takemichi, it sound like he dumped her.
leongsh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:46 am Reply with quote
Wasureta wrote:
Based on the translated conversation between Hina and Takemichi, it sound like he dumped her.

Hina dumped Takemichi. Takemichi dumped Hina. Both are true.

Hina dumped Takemichi
In the original timeline, before Takemichi got his time jump ability, Hina dumped Takemichi. Likely reason is because he did not show the courage he had when he became Kiyomasa and squad's slave and eventually ran away from this. The basis for this reasoning shows up in the next explanation.

Takemichi dumped Hina
This is also true, for this new timeline that is. This new timeline is after the events in the Moebius arc where he was more involved in the Toman gang, with Mikey and Draken befriending him, and the events that led up to including him having played a part in saving Draken from death. We got to hear from Hina why she liked Takemichi after he was beaten and taped up by Kiyomasa's squad. She liked him for always standing up for what's right even when it was very much against him. She even gave him her first kiss. This leads to the likely reason why Hina dumped him in the original timeline - he ran away when the chips were down. Now that he has shown he stood up against Mikey and Draken in school before she knew who they were, he got Mikey and Draken to patch up, he stood up to Kiyomasa and squad to protect Draken - all these solidified the respect and love she had for him. It's likely the reason why after 12 years in the new timeline, she still has the flame for him.

Why did Takemichi dump Hina? That's for the show to reveal in due course.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Goddammit Akkun, not again!
I expected Hina would get murdered again but I didn't think Akkun would get dragged back into the gang wars. Honestly I hope this happens at the end of every arc, everything seems fine until Akkun shows up and runs over Hina, it would be very funny.

On a serious note though, I didn't think Hina was the target by this attack. Takemichi was, for some reason, but I think the goal was to kill him and Naoto since Naoto is a cop and that was his stupid car they were using.

Anyway my advice to Takemichi to solve this arcs murders: Get Naoto to buy a car with airbags and have Akkun sent to boarding school
Fall_2020

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:27 am Reply with quote
Just going to post this here before tonight's episode is up and we get the new ending.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XWmc2jPopCk
This is from Tokyo Revengers' official YouTube channel. It's Waki Azumi (Hina's seiyuu) doing the first cour ending.
Although she doesn't have the original singer's pipes when it comes to the high sections, the more slow one's have their own charm different than the original's.
Fall_2020

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to wait for the review before posting anything about the new episode. But I have a question in that regard. Two-cour series which air their respective cours consecutively get their reviews automatically extended, right? They don't have to go through the review voting poll again?
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:19 am Reply with quote
The show as we see it on streaming is twisting itself into a pretzel becoming almost unwatchable at points in a desperate effort to censor a character that is similar to (but is very obviously not the same as) the Nazi swastika. Meanwhile in Japan...

I continue not understanding 1. who even thought brute force censorship was the best way to go about preventing a potential controversy, 2. why they're sticking with it despite it ruining scenes that should have been impactful/emotional. Seriously, if at least it was the Nazi swastika, but it isn't!
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Discovering this series a bit late in its run. Now that the story's sucked me in, not sure if I'm happy or sad to find it's still in the middle of airing! No one else seems to have mentioned it, but I was super confused at first by Crunchy's episode labeling -- the Japanese-language with English subs is listed as "S2", took me a bit to realize it was just a typo.

I honestly haven't noticed the manji-censoring very much, except in the biting/grappling scene with Kiyomasa. Didn't realize until this thread that was the cause, but was definitely one of the people wondering how exactly anything-but-athletic Takemichi spider-crawled his way around Kiyomasa's body to end up on his head. The only other occasion that had me wondering was the backs of their jackets; are they supposed to just have the kanji for Tokyo, and not the manji?

It's good that the show's not taking its weird time-loop mechanics too seriously; it has been easy enough to just not scrutinize them, so long as the show doesn't linger on the details of how Takemichi's power works (the brief explanation that time still passes in the present while Takemichi's in the past could've easily been the start of obsessing over these mechanics; glad that didn't happen). Can you imagine how stunningly obvious it must be that he and Naoto aren't even remotely the same people, after each loop? I mean, yeesh -- post-loop Naoto doesn't even seem to know his own sister's job, or whether she's alive, without doing some independent research on her. For sure, better for the narrative if we just aren't encouraged to think too much about the logistics of its magic.

Takemichi's a pretty intensely frustrating protagonist. There are way too many examples to pick from, but: watching him kneel over Draken while he's bleeding out without even thinking to check for a pulse or call an ambulance for a full minute or some such had me practically shouting at the screen. And, cripes, he sure is taking a long time to decide to do anything even remotely proactive or forward-looking with all these time jumps; I love the idea pitched earlier in the thread that he should ask Hina to train him in karate (heck, I'd love to see her kick some butt; the show seems convinced she's irrelevant to all of this violence because she's a girl -- going so far as to have her basically tell us exactly that she'd "be super strong" if only she were a guy -- except as a Takemichi motivator, which is a really unfortunate choice for a character that's central to the story and generally portrayed as pretty fierce and righteously unflinching). But, even failing that, how has it not occurred to him that maybe he should, uh, start working out regularly or taking weapons training or research the local police or do literally anything other than just drift along from one incident to the next? I'd kind've get the blatant lack of preparation if we'd only seen him go back once, but after several trips, damn does he seem stubbornly dumb.

Takemichi being depressed and depressingly lame maybe isn't all bad, and even is part of the point, though, I suppose? I guess the intense, constant sense of disappointment in him complements somewhat well the show making us feel all this second-hand embarrassment for him. He really is a pretty lame person right now; he seems content to be buffeted and tossed around by the forces around him, drifting or pushed from one event to the next (even when he's "actively" going super-magically back in time to try to change things!), and is morphing into a somewhat proactive human with some active interest in his own life only by a few inches at a time with each fiery, bloody Hina-Akkun death. He even shows some self-awareness of this in the latest few episodes, recognizing and verbalizing some of these issues as self-criticism, although he seems more focused on tangible accomplishments (e.g., his job) than his personal character and lackadaisical approach to life, and latest-loop Hina seems inexplicably besotted with him anyway.

She certainly deserves better -- which kind've feels like its own separate issue: why the hell is she so willing to ignore him blatantly cheating on her with Emma (I realize she doesn't completely ignore it, exactly, but it is never made out to be the gigantic issue it would certainly be for most human people I've known, and is mostly played for fan service & laughs)? Or that he's constantly involved in literal gang wars? I can imagine a narrative convincing me that she's just a bit too in love to see how destructive his behavior is, or her being trapped in similar circumstances and seeing this as normalized because of that, but the current show hasn't done either of those things well for me. Given how important their relationship sort-of is to the plot, this is a little harder for me to ignore than the time-loop-illogic thing, but so long as I don't focus on it it doesn't detract too much...

Kisaki's gotten one heck've an effective villainous buildup for not getting almost any screen time yet. I hope he lives up to it. Also, am I going crazy or was he not explicitly shown listening in on the rooftop where Akkun first committed suicide? Was that just a cut to a picture of him somewhere else that I misinterpreted? I keep waiting for that detail to be somehow relevant -- e.g., for Kisaki to realize Takemichi-is-a-magical-time-girl and Naoto is his spirit animal, and to start gunning for Takemichi hard because of this (particularly given that Kisaki has repeatedly been shown making weird-eyes, weird-face at Takemichi, most recently when they pass by one another before Takemichi slugs him) -- but after several loops presumably removed that event from his memory of the timeline it's hard to see how it could be.

Lastly, this doesn't fit in anywhere else, really, but: holy crap, for a pretty weak guy that never seems to do anything intentionally, Takemichi sure can take a beating and yet walk around the next day like nothing happened. That has strained credulity for me once or twice (notably, when Kiyomasa beat him near to death with a bat).
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:19 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
She certainly deserves better -- which kind've feels like its own separate issue: why the hell is she so willing to ignore him blatantly cheating on her with Emma (I realize she doesn't completely ignore it, exactly, but it is never made out to be the gigantic issue it would certainly be for most human people I've known, and is mostly played for fan service & laughs)?

The two girls became friends, so they must have had a chat to clear up what Emma was doing (trying to make Drakken jealous) before that. I guess Hina saying something to Takemichi after that should have happened, but the plot was already on a different topic by then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9