• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yu Yu Hakusho: Does it Hold Up?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Short answer: yes, yes it does.

Yu Yu Hakusho was, is, and always will be one of the GOAT shounen series.

It’s my 2nd favorite behind Dragon Ball Z.

Also, one of the best dubs ever produced. To this day it is my preference over the JP track. So many memorable lines and deliveries.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:15 pm Reply with quote
i finally got to watch it this past year and it was an absolute blast. Just pure distilled fighting shonen fun, with a colorful cast of characters and an all-time great tournament arc. Oh, and Botan is Best Girl.
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:16 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
Short answer: yes, yes it does.

Yu Yu Hakusho was, is, and always will be one of the GOAT shounen series.

A hundred percent, hands down, I agree! As much as I wish for Togashi-san to finish my favorite manga, Hunter X Hunter, Yu Yu Hakusho still tops it. Besides the obvious fact that it's a completed series, this was the anime/manga that I have seen the mangaka's work filled with passion and drive.

It is definitely one of the 90's anime that has become a staple and is standing alongside famous anime such as Dragon Ball Z, Evangelion, and Gundam Wing.
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I like dark tournament and Sensui's arcs but 3 King is quite disappointing. As soon as Yusuke starts fighting they cut to the aftermath and with random chapters about secondary character that barely have a name. Then a random terrorist chapter and the manga ends. While I think Yusuke, Hiei and Kuwabara have good endings, Kurama feels as loses his relevance as he feels as Mr. Exposition. Togashi improved in Hunter x Hunter but whenever an arc reaches its climax we have it interrupted out of nowhere with Kurapica being missing for a lot of time
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:34 pm Reply with quote
YYH is without a shadow of a doubt, not just one of the best comics to ever come out of WSJ, but one of the best manga ever released that was aimed at the shonen demographic.

It's a timeless classic in my opinion and my second favourite Wuxia manga (Behind Fist Of The North Star and ahead of Dragon Ball).
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Seriously. Hakusho just hold ups so well. Great characters and story. It's one of those series I can just always go back to and read/watch. Nothing has come close to the feel of Yu Yu Hakusho.

Hope Viz one day can give the manga a proper translation.
cchigu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:26 pm Reply with quote
YYH is a blast, although, don't think it is close to the quality of some other battle shonen, even Togashi's other work, Hunter x Hunter is a vastly superior work imo.
thecritter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe that a long review of the series did not even mention Genkai and Koenma, the two strongest influences on Yusuke's development. It's a major oversight.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Would I dislike being doused in gasoline and lit on fire? For some questions there's only ever one acceptable answer.

cchigu wrote:
YYH is a blast, although, don't think it is close to the quality of some other battle shonen, even Togashi's other work, Hunter x Hunter is a vastly superior work imo.

Funny, I think the exact inverse. HxH has some phenomenally good arcs... but also some real stinkers. YxY is much more consistent IMO.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:

Funny, I think the exact inverse. HxH has some phenomenally good arcs... but also some real stinkers. YxY is much more consistent IMO.

Same, although I wonder if this feeling varies depending on how long you've been watching anime. The parts that I found not so great in HxH reminded me of better aspects of YYH (or just better non-anime stories), but I wonder if I wouldn't have felt that way if I were a younger viewer who was watching HxH without the context of YYH in my rearview mirror.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:23 pm Reply with quote
thecritter wrote:
I can't believe that a long review of the series did not even mention Genkai and Koenma, the two strongest influences on Yusuke's development. It's a major oversight.

While on the subject of strong supporting characters, Kuwabara's sister Shizuru deserves honorable mention as well.

Quote:
Humans have spirit energy, demons have demon energy, and you can do pretty much whatever you want with either of these, inviting a boundless level of creativity in designing different characters and fighting styles. Some lean towards the complex and intriguing like with Game Master's video game realm and Kaito's language-based control schemes.

I think it's pretty well known trivia these days, but Togashi admitted that he copied JoJo Part 3: Stardust Crusaders and the concept of Stands for this because he became enamored with the idea of "rules-based fighting." But instead of Stands, this group has "territories."

Chapter Black & Sensui are my favorite arc and villain in the series.
MakiharaMeiko

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:00 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:

I think it's pretty well known trivia these days, but Togashi admitted that he copied JoJo Part 3: Stardust Crusaders and the concept of Stands for this because he became enamored with the idea of "rules-based fighting." But instead of Stands, this group has "territories."

Chapter Black & Sensui are my favorite arc and villain in the series.

Same at that last statement.
And also, Jojo part 4 was heavy influenced by YYH, so it makes everything perfect xD

To me YYH is one of the best shounen manga out there. Not just because the fights are interesting, but because every character is unique and well developed and every arc has a continuation, it just doesn't pop up like a lot of shounen, in which they end an arc and next new villain has nothing to do with past events. In YYH everything is conected, similar to HxH. (I love how Dark Tournament and Chapter black connects via Sakyo and elder Toguro, it's one of my favourite things in the entire series)

For me Togashi is a genius. And it's a shame that people often forgets that Level E is his too, I love that manga very much too, it's very original and has a glimpse of that funny-dark humor he often uses in HxH. (Sorry for that last off topic xD)
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I mostly enjoyed it on my recent rewatch. My main issue was the amount of asspulls they would do for the fights. They usual just pull something of their ass to win them, without establishing it to the audience earlier. The show is still a ton of fun,due to that core cast of characters. It doesn't fall into the pitfall of introducing a ton of unnecessary characters,like so many other Shonens do.
FunkyDude88

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:36 pm Reply with quote
It's a good show overall, but its a bit dated. It's not that long and doesn't overstay its welcome so that is a huge plus.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I rewatched the whole show on Blu-ray not too long ago, and while the plotting feels unambitious compared to stuff like One Piece, Hunter x Hunter and even Naruto, it's still enjoyable all the way through, and remarkably well-paced. I hadn't even noticed how much filler they added to the Dark Tournament arc, because it all feels natural and well integrated with the material from the manga.

And if you've read/watched HxH, you can really tell the last two major arcs of YYH were precursors to it. Not only the main characters face opponents they can't beat simply by being stronger or better fighters, but Togashi ends both arcs in a deliberately anti-climactic way that still feels right somehow, as if the story demanded it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2