• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of Fall 2021, Oct 1-28

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flammie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Can someone double check the calculations and confirm they are working as expected for cumulative rankings?
For example:

In episode rankings
Takt: 15/19/22/21
Mieruko: 20/16/9/8

Cumulative
Takt: 15/15/17/17
Mieruko: 20/20/20/19

Does the volume of ratings also matter (more ratings on ep1 than subsequent episodes)?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:35 pm Reply with quote
lmao that Sakugan drop
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Sakugan really have failed to pass the 3 episode rule spectacularly, isn't it? But at the very least I might have time for other shows, thanks to that.

On the other hand, I'm satisfied with seeing Aquatope and 86 that high, they're really that good.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:11 pm Reply with quote
flammie wrote:
Does the volume of ratings also matter (more ratings on ep1 than subsequent episodes)?

Yes, due to the Preview Guide, the first episode of each series has a lot more votes than the subsequent episodes, and that gives more weight to the first episode in the cumulative. That's part of why at the end of the season we have a "final ep" column. With the last episode duplicated in the "final ep." column, it means that the votes for the last episode of each series are counted twice, which intentionally gives a boost to series that ended strongly. This somewhat compensates for the fact that the first episode of each series has more votes, which favors series that started strongly.

But also, for the series that you listed there's some intransitivity involved in the cumulative:

Code:
takt op. →(wins against)→ Digimon Ghost Game
 ↑                                        ↓
(wins against)← Mieruko-chan ←(wins against)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Melicans

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm genuinely shocked that Banished from the Hero's Party is so far down the rankings; I thought it had been well received so far. Also a bit surprised that Fruit of Evolution is NOT at the bottom.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:55 am Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
I'm genuinely shocked that Banished from the Hero's Party is so far down the rankings; I thought it had been well received so far. Also a bit surprised that Fruit of Evolution is NOT at the bottom.

There's very fierce competition for the bottom, fruits doesn't take itself seriously while platinum does.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:

I've been enjoying Banished a lot. It is a solid delivery of exactly what I was expecting. I feel like it is pretty niche, and I can see a lot of people checking out a few early episodes and being disappointed with it.
flammie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:

Yes, due to the Preview Guide, the first episode of each series has a lot more votes than the subsequent episodes, and that gives more weight to the first episode in the cumulative.

Thanks for the explanation, i guess I’ll need to look at the average of the weekly ranking to get a feel of the overall rating of the show relative to the others.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1