• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Releases Spice and Wolf, 'So I'm a Spider, So What?,' More Audiobooks

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:11 pm Reply with quote
So I'm guessing they'll try to get Brianna Knickerbocker back for the Spider audiobook, J. Michael Tatum for Spice and Wolf's (I assume the novels are from Lawrence's POV), although I'm curious who will do Rascal since the anime was never dubbed. Just find someone with a naturally witty and snarky voice for Sakuta's narration I guess.
Pachogamez

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure this article was supposed to go up tomorrow, after the Yen Audio panel
Nilrem

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm sat here slighlty bemused by the fact that an anime that has yet to get a dub, has the light novels it's based on getting audiobook versions.

I'm probably going to end up getting the S&W and Rascal audio books if they're on audible.
Pachogamez

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:37 pm Reply with quote
And article taken down.

lol

Edit
And back up.
But yeah, great news on the 3 new audiobooks

Last edited by Pachogamez on Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hasekura published the Spice and Wolf novel series with illustrations by Jū Ayakura from 2006 to 2011. Yen Press published the 17th and final novel in North America in April 2016

Wut? The novel series is still ongoing, volume 22 was published in English this month, and in Japan the series is up to 23 volumes.

Edit; (Edit2, corrected Wolf&Parchment info, thanks Rhys2753)
Also,
Quote:
Hasekura began a sequel, Wolf & Parchment: New Theory Spice & Wolf, in April 2016. Yen Press is also releasing the sequel series in English.

Wolf & Parchment isn't a sequel(main series as said above is still ongoing) but a spin-off, with 6 volumes published in Japan, and 5 volumes published in English so far.

Last edited by Blanchimont on Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rhys2753

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:47 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Blanchimont"]
Quote:

Wolf & Parchment isn't a sequel(main series as said above is still ongoing) but a spin-off, with volume 6 to be published in Japan next March, and 5 published in English so far.

Minor correction, Vol 6 comes out in English next march, volume 7 comes out in Japan next month.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Edit: I never thought of Novels on audiobooks, I am going to see if I can find a good manga to listen to, if not I will wait for Spice and Wolf.

Are audiobooks digital only like on Amazon Audible?

Last edited by chrisc1978 on Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:40 pm Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:
I never thought of manga on audiobooks, I am going to see if I can find a good manga to listen to, if not I will wait for Spice and Wolf.

These are not manga, but the original light novels getting audiobooks. Bookwalker has sold some manga audiobooks, not exactly sure how that works.
Quote:
Are audiobooks digital only like on Amazon Audible?

They will be on multiple stores, such as Audible, Kobo, Google Play, Apple, and Libro.fm. Some book publishers release .mp3 file CDs, but no one really does optical CDs anymore since those require dozens of discs. As far as I know, Yen Press does not release any sort of physical versions of these audiobooks, but that’s industry standard at this point. If you don’t want to be locked to a store, libro.fm sells them DRM free which you can then store on your own computer drives.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:52 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
chrisc1978 wrote:
I never thought of manga on audiobooks, I am going to see if I can find a good manga to listen to, if not I will wait for Spice and Wolf.

These are not manga, but the original light novels getting audiobooks. Bookwalker has sold some manga audiobooks, not exactly sure how that works.

Lol, Novel thats what I mean. I just bought the first part of Sword Art Online from Amazon Audible to try it. I don't buy regular novels because I hate reading but I could do audiobooks.

This is cool, 29 chapters I was wondering how you would find were you left off. I like it so far.

Last edited by chrisc1978 on Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Thank you very much for pointing out the errors in the article. We've made the necessary corrections.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:20 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
So I'm guessing they'll try to get Brianna Knickerbocker back for the Spider audiobook, J. Michael Tatum for Spice and Wolf's (I assume the novels are from Lawrence's POV), although I'm curious who will do Rascal since the anime was never dubbed. Just find someone with a naturally witty and snarky voice for Sakuta's narration I guess.

Yeah, about 95% of the S&W main series novels are from Lawrence's POV (a couple of short stories each are from the POVs of Holo and Nora's dog, and IIRC Cole also got one when he was still a kid), so J. Michael Tatum would be the ideal person to do them.

I'm also curious to see how Racal would be handled. The SAO one wasn't bad, so I'd be willing to at least consider them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I know its not at all possible...But I would give my left arm for both Brina Palencia & J. Michael Tatum to both be used for both holo and lawerence in the audiobook version rather then someone else or just J Micheal Tatum (god bless the man). NOW TIME TO PREORDER!
09jcg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad this LN Audio book thing is continuing. I spend ALOT of time on the road and have gone through SAO1, 2, and Overlord 1. SAO2 in paticular was interesting cause they had Kiritio and Asuna's voice actors both narrating different parts of the book. It's a great way to burn through some of these longer LN series
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:04 pm Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
I'm glad this LN Audio book thing is continuing. I spend ALOT of time on the road and have gone through SAO1, 2, and Overlord 1. SAO2 in paticular was interesting cause they had Kiritio and Asuna's voice actors both narrating different parts of the book. It's a great way to burn through some of these longer LN series

I relate to this so much
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:02 pm Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:

Did not realize that the second novel was out. If Cherami's voicing Asuna in it then I may have to check it out, as she makes an excellent Asuna.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2