• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bloomberg Report: Sony to Launch New Service for PlayStation in Spring 2022 Rivaling Microsoft

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:50 am Reply with quote
Sony has gone down hill like Apple quality control. It’s sad honestly.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:04 am Reply with quote
For Sony, the main reason for this is Game Pass estimated with over 20 million active subscribers, while Sony hasn't updated their PS Now subscribers since 3.2 million on March 2021, so they can't let themselves get left behind way too far

Wonder if Sony is going to put this only in Playstation consoles, or also in non-Playstation devices. If they put this in non-Playstation devices, they have to support all controllers, including Xbox controllers

And then Playstation gamers will get used to "renting" games too

Sony needs a worldwide infrastructure though - are they gonna use MS Azure or AWS or Google?

And they gonna need PS5 blade servers, lots of 'em - which gonna eat on the already PS5 chip shortage, making it even harder to buy
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Sony should have just stuck to developing the Cell processor, that way PS4 and 5 would be backlwards compatible with PS3. And likely would have better performing games.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:48 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Sony should have just stuck to developing the Cell processor, that way PS4 and 5 would be backlwards compatible with PS3. And likely would have better performing games.

Considering how expensive the cell processor originally made the PS3 on top of how difficult it was to develop games for don’t know why they would have done that.

Catseyetiger wrote:
Sony has gone down hill like Apple quality control. It’s sad honestly.

Ummmmmmm no they haven’t. How did you even reach this conclusion?
Firefly251

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Bloomberg stated the plans included a three-tier subscription system. The first tier would feature existing PlayStation Plus benefits, the second tier would offer PS4 and PS5 titles, and the third tier would add extended demos, game streaming, and a catalog of PlayStation 1-3 and PlayStation Portable games.

so sony follows MS's lead and does it worse?

tbh not shocked just disappointed.

its what? 10-15$ a month for MS's gamepass?

which is less than PS+ for a month. and they gonna have 3 tiers?

guess when you only sell console due to exclusives you try to scrape out all you can.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:21 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Considering how expensive the cell processor originally made the PS3 on top of how difficult it was to develop games for don’t know why they would have done that.
The PS3 was expensive at launch as they included the Emotion Engine chip, for PS2 backwards comparability, later models removed the chip. Sony famously had a lack of documentation for developers, so they had no idea how it worked and had to figure it out themselves.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:12 pm Reply with quote
^ Well if the Uncharted Collection is any indication they can bring some PS3 titles to other platforms but then that brings the question of what games can be brought forward that would not need the cell processor and what couldn’t because it does.

Firefly251 wrote:

guess when you only sell console due to exclusives you try to scrape out all you can.

No console in the modern era relies solely on exclusives to sell systems not even Nintendo.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:45 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
^ Well if the Uncharted Collection is any indication they can bring some PS3 titles to other platforms but then that brings the question of what games can be brought forward that would not need the cell processor and what couldn’t because it does.

I think at some point most developers were mostly dependent on middleware (sits between the game and hardware-specific stuff, usually developed by a third party to function on multiple gaming consoles) or game engines like Unity or Unreal to have worked out how the Cell processors worked. Which would mean the games wouldn't necessarily take full advantage of how Cell can have an advantage over the equivalent XBox 360 hardware, but it would also be easier to port by changing the target of the engine or middleware (and making tons of tweaks; it is never as simple as that). Earlier PS3 games would likely take a lot more effort to port.

Though the Uncharted games might have had special Cell-specific stuff in order to look as good as it did on the PS3, if they organized their engine well enough, the game's logic and data would be separate from how it is executed and rendered. So if the engine was modified to work on a future platform, the port wouldn't need to redo the whole game. This was likely at least planned for The Last of Us, since the PS4 version came out only a year after the PS3 version.
morisato

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Let me say that this isn't a rehash of the old complaint but I think Sony is missing the point. I think it's all fine and good that they want to bring a service to rival XBOX Game Pass but that you actually have to have consumers who have purchased your console before they can use it.

Sony has allowed this problem with online bots and scalper groups to snag every console that comes onto the market. Retailers are even having problems keeping XBOX One and Playstation 4 consoles in stock. It also presents another problem, if someone doesn't own a PS5 console then they're also not purchasing PS5 games or accessories.

Even when it's announced that retailers are getting more in stock, they refuse to allow consumers to purchase them in store. They will only allow you to purchase the consoles online. If retailers had banned online sales and only allowed in-store purchases, this wouldn't have turned into the problem that it is now. Sure, Sony is selling every console they get to retailers but they aren't selling the software and other PS5 peripherals that are available for the console.

Sony's new plan for the new service just feels like it's "too little, too late".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1