• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Fruit of Evolution: Before I Knew It, My Life Had It Made (TV) (all seasons).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:34 am Reply with quote

Season 1 - (The) Fruit of Evolution: Before I Knew It, My Life Had It Made (TV)
Season 2 - (The) Fruit of Evolution 2: Before I Knew It, My Life Had It Made (TV)

Source: Light Novel (completed @ 15 volumes, written by Miku, illustrated by U35)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Hotline

Genres: adventure, fantasy, romance

Themes: isekai

Plot Summary: Seiichi Hiiragi is at the bottom of his school's social pecking order, but he and his entire school are upended when everyone in the school is transported into another world. Seiichi finds himself alone and approached by a gorilla, who instead of attacking him, proposes to him. At the moment that Seiichi thinks that "I guess a gorilla is fine too," they find the Fruit of Evolution, and when they eat it, their lives are suddenly changed once again.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 1: October 4, 2021 (Sunday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Season 2: January 13, 2023 (Friday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 1: 12 episodes
Season 2: 12 episodes

Total: 24 episodes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I feel like there is a real solid idea for an isekai here, but it's not showing up and it seems like they are more focused with making it a generic power fantasy isekai, but with a pink gorilla.

Very disappointing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

And that wraps this show, although honestly this entire arc really fills like something thrown in to make it feel like there was a climatic battle for the series, and to force the sort of hook for more story.

This show, I feel pretty confident to say it sucks, at least so much that its production elements despite not being good either in that area. If anything the most interesting part of this series would be talking bout all the ways that it absolutely fails. First off, I will talk why on an emotional sense the writing of this show sucks, and it is because Seiichi sucks, and not in the flawed sense that could make an interesting character. Seiichi sucks because his starting out as an imperfect character kind of just feels mean, that he is overweight, which makes people hate him, and that was pretty much all his characterisation. It doesn't even come across like maybe he was humbled from how he was, so he is just going to be nice to others despite his appearances, because he really doesn't extend it out to other characters like main heroine Saria, before her transformation.

I think it was a fairly big failure of the series, that Seiichi's reaction to Saria before her transformation was mostly a 'woe is me', in why did he have to end up with this sort of love interest. Where joke is that thing is unconventional, and Seiichi has to bring focus to it, because he really has to act as the straight man for situations, despite the fact that he didn't start out the standard hero. It really gives this series of trying to have things both ways, by trying to say things are unconventional, while the majority of the stuff he says is just conventional how the audience is supposed to think. In my opinion, I was thinking the show could have done a lot better by actually making him a uniquely nice guy that maybe never cared about what other people think is normal or goals such as being conventionally liked. Which could have meant when things went well for him, the humour could have been that it didn't actually change things in his mind that much. Even if some audience might find it a bit hard to inset themselves into him.

Sort of connected, what seems to be the central running gag of the series makes no sense. I still don't understand why he would be upset or frustrated over becoming overpowered, automatically getting cheat skills, and stuff just happening. It really feels like we were missing something, where he wouldn't want those thing, like really didn't want to get looked up to as some amazing hero, but it really seemed to pick and choose when he wanted to take advantage of these benefits, and when it frustrated him. Such that whenever a new harem character came in as conventionally beautiful and in love with him, he just took her in and say he feels the same. There was an assassin girl who he stops, magically solves her problem, and then she wants to act as his little sister, and he is just right on that, with weird head pats weird wizard guy saying that she can be his assistant in a maid outfit.

Going further in the comedy, I really don't like most of it, and to me it really comes across as kind of mean. You have gorilla bride, and the joke is that you have a masculine woman who looks masculine, so gay joke. You have the muscle guy in a speedo who waves his junk around, so gay joke. And you hooligans who look to want to fight him, but really want to rape him, so gay joke. There are other mean jokes too, but I think that goes a way to say that the joke writing is mostly just really lazy, where it often just goes in as weird thing is weird, so wouldn't it be weird if you were in this show, which you totally could have been in this position to because he used to be unattractive.

There really is no through line other than weird game mechanics if they were real, like monster drops (and broken), and a main character who is supposed to be different because he wasn't born that way. But he is painfully one of the most bland main characters, who thinks shouting that something is different or a cheat is a character trait.

My rating is going to be So-so (5/10), where it is bad, and yet F me I actually watched colourful things that popped up on screen and mostly paid attention. I somehow enjoyed parts, whether it was ironic or some kind of unironic way, I might oddly not be able to say.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:11 am Reply with quote
This might be my worst anime of 2021 from the Fall season. It's terrible animated, terrible acted, the isekai elements are boring, the fruit of evolution itself has so many misogynistic, eugenic, and sexist remarks, and it's just another terrible power fantasy that tries and fails to be a 90s era fantasy comedy.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:57 pm Reply with quote
And that was the final episode. It ended just like it started: being a horrible trashfire of an anime with no redeeming features. As for why I watched two seasons of it, I have no answer to that question, possibly to satisfy some hidden urge I have deep down to see how bad an anime can get?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1