• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN's Most Read News and Interest Articles of 2021

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anstar019

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Bruh, I Became a Kuro-Gyaru so I F***ed My Best Friend being on #1 is just poggers.

and Berserk Manga Creator Kentarou Miura Passes Away at 54 not being in top 5 is a bit disappointing.

Kakegurui Writer Homura Kawamoto's Isekai Revenge Manga Canceled After 1 Chapter was pog too. The manga if allowed to serialize would be pretty good IMO.

in articles.

Kingdom Hearts, Evangelion Singer Hikaru Utada Comes Out as Non-Binary This at #3 is pretty good.

Peach Boy Riverside Anime Airing Out of Chronological Order honestly speaking this news made me skip the anime and wait for BD release for this one.

Hunter x Hunter Announces New Escape Room for 2021 , Now this was Mob Psycho Pachinko 2.0 for everyone.

I am surprised that news about Ruroni kenshin getting new season didn't get into top 20, as there was a lot of discussion about it, lot of comments, it was first time in a long time that a single news broke a century comment mark.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Shit, Kirby Morrow's passing was already over a year ago? 2020 and 2021 really did just blend together... Sad
09jcg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:52 pm Reply with quote
anstar019 wrote:

and Berserk Manga Creator Kentarou Miura Passes Away at 54 not being in top 5 is a bit disappointing.
This one about Miura blew my mind as well. Fully expected it to be number one, but in retrospect his death was so big that even "main stream media" covered it so perhaps people got their news fix from more traditional sites
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:44 pm Reply with quote
anstar019 wrote:

Likewise, I expected it to be #1.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:37 pm Reply with quote
anstar019 wrote:
I am surprised that news about Ruroni kenshin getting new season didn't get into top 20, as there was a lot of discussion about it, lot of comments, it was first time in a long time that a single news broke a century comment mark.

Bottom line? I think a lot of folks who are actually done with this author/series are done with this author/series, and don't even bother reading news regarding it. I mean most of that discussion came down to a lot of the die-hard fans trying to condone the author's convicted crimes vs folks arguing back why it is not worth supporting someone like that. It was all very irrelevant of the actual anime topic and the same discussions take place any time that author, his manga, or any crimes similar(or not, let's be honest) come up in the news. The mods/admins also did a good job cleaning up/keeping an eye on the thread and discussion, hence it's growth.
livin_large

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:59 pm Reply with quote
anstar019 wrote:
Bruh, I Became a Kuro-Gyaru so I F***ed My Best Friend being on #1 is just poggers.

Probably because the original title was "I Became a Black Gal so I F***ed My Best Friend" which is a lot more eye-catching and makes you do a double-take.
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:15 am Reply with quote
Can't believe Miura-sensei's passing was not first, as odd as that is to say. Yeah, every major news outlets also did cover his passing so that could also be the reason too. Either way, thinking about still hits me so hard. Too many young and talented people left us this year. Let's hope for a far better new year.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:10 pm Reply with quote
livin_large wrote:
Probably because the original title was "I Became a Black Gal so I F***ed My Best Friend" which is a lot more eye-catching and makes you do a double-take.

Err, that's not quite accurate.

The original title is "Kuro-Gyaru ni Natta Kara Shinyū to Yatte Mita," which translated literally to "I Became a Black Gal so I F***ed My Best Friend." That's not really a good translation though, since the "black" in "kuro-gyaru" refers to a tan, but any English speaker unfamiliar with the subculture reading "black girl," will assume it refers to a Black girl (ie: of African descent).

So yeah, the literal translation of the original title is indeed, "I Became a Black Gal so I F***ed My Best Friend."

Anyway, I doubt it added much to the traffic on the article. Most of the people who read that article probably never heard of the manga before, so they wouldn't have known about the alternative/literal translation.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I think some of what attributed to kuro-gyaru's position is it was first published saying "transgender romantic comedy", which would've intrigued people. That + the series name would've been, not click-baity per se but very similar.

I am surprised Sayaka Kanda's article is so high as she was not a big name VA and the article is quite recent... But perhaps death articles get more views, as Haruka Nagashima's article is quite high too, and she was also not very well known. I guess people read it to see if it's someone they recognised.

I think the theory that Miura is not in top 5 because it was massive news everywhere is probably correct. I'm not sure how quickly ANN reported on it, and it may have been rather than reading the article they jumped straight to the comment section.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:01 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
I am surprised Sayaka Kanda's article is so high as she was not a big name VA and the article is quite recent... But perhaps death articles get more views, as Haruka Nagashima's article is quite high too, and she was also not very well known. I guess people read it to see if it's someone they recognised.

Sayaka Kanda was the vocalist in TRUSTRICK who had some well-liked anime songs and appeared at Animelo Summer Live 2015 and 2016 including with Maon Kurosaki, and Sayaka Kanda and Maon Kurosaki had a project called A.L.I.C.E. after TRUSTRICK's end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1