• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Announces Kakegurui×× Anime's English Dub Cast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:47 pm Reply with quote
This whole "Sentai Redub" situation is so weird.
lemurs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:27 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:

Unusually, Neflix's dubs are property of Netflix and it would cost Sentai more to license them than it would to re-dub the shows, so here we are.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:00 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:

Its certainly interesting don't know if I find it weird but every time they announce a redub they have my attention if only briefly. Kakegurui didn't need a redub but hell here we are the only casting choice that I found interesting was seeing Eric Vale make his debut in Houston dubbing.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:43 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:

Yeah it is what it is at this point, all I can do is not support the releases.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:49 am Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

Hopefully most people won't do that unless you want Netflix licenses to stay exclusive on Netflix and digital only in the future.
Farhanawesome

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:33 am Reply with quote
With all this Sentai redubbing backlash, which company is to blame, Sentai or Netflix?
merr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:30 am Reply with quote
Farhanawesome wrote:
With all this Sentai redubbing backlash, which company is to blame, Sentai or Netflix?

Both. Netflix is overcharging, and Sentai is cheap.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:03 am Reply with quote
Farhanawesome wrote:

Netflix without a doubt. Sentai has sublicensed Crunchyroll shows that have English dubs for home video, and they have not had problems.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:46 am Reply with quote
I bought both seasons from Sentai and they'll be here next week. It'll be my first time watching and can't wait. Alot of my favorites are in this like Christina Kelly who I've been friends with a couple years (I live in Pasadena but work in Houston at the medical center so I'm right next to Sentai).
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:06 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
That might stop them licensing more seasons of this show, but it won't stop them licensing more Netflix titles, as this not selling well would just tell them that people are not interested in this show.

Honestly I don't get what the big deal is. People preferring the Netflix dub of this show and a few others I can get, but this happens with every dub. Even Hero Mask whose original dub was not well liked had people mad that a new dub was being made.

And it's not like Sentai are getting the rights to new seasons of these show instead of Netflix and having different actors in them. And having multiple dubs of an Anime is nothing new.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:15 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
Farhanawesome wrote:

Both. Netflix is overcharging, and Sentai is cheap.

It's not just Sentai being cheap in this particular case as Anime Limited publicly cited Netflix and the lack of their materials as being the reason they took so long in releasing the first season in the UK and they had the license to the show for almost 5 years now.

They finally got to releasing the show this month but only with the Sentai dub (and subs).
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:15 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
KitKat1721 wrote:
That might stop them licensing more seasons of this show, but it won't stop them licensing more Netflix titles, as this not selling well would just tell them that people are not interested in this show.

Honestly I don't get what the big deal is. People preferring the Netflix dub of this show and a few others I can get, but this happens with every dub. Even Hero Mask whose original dub was not well liked had people mad that a new dub was being made.

I disagree on the first point. I think Sentai is pretty well aware that people don't appreciate them re-dubbing (look at the comments under practically any of these acquisition announcements). But at the end of the day, that backlash does not matter if people still buy those releases. And sure, no one really cared about Hero Mask getting a new dub because well... its Hero Mask. But Netflix does have some really great dubs on their platform that I would hate to be scrapped (like NYAV Post's Great Pretender). And it's just overall a pretty shitty situation for fans that enjoyed these dubs, whichever show it might be. Why should someone who loves Kakegurui and watched the dub pay $50+ for a blu-ray that's missing the language track they are attached to (even if they want to support it)? I want everyone who loved the show to get an acceptable release they would want, not just the people who watched the JPN track.

I obviously can't speak on why they are getting re-dubbed even though I fully believe the blame mostly lies with Netflix (this exact issue is one of the things that held up the Anime Limited's Kakegurui release). But at the same time Sentai has the reputation it does for a reason, and plenty of the Netflix actors who worked on the show essentially said that the fact its more financially viable to completely re-dub speaks volumes.

Hence why I said "it is what it is." I'm never going to get irrationally angry at a company when I don't fully understand the situation behind the scenes (and frankly, its not even close to the biggest thing to be upset about when it comes to the anime community). But at the same time as a consumer, I'm not going to support it.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
Farhanawesome wrote:

Netflix without a doubt. Sentai has sublicensed Crunchyroll shows that have English dubs for home video, and they have not had problems.

Let’s not forget, Netflix has given regular licensors permission to use their dubs in the past, like Sentai with the Polygon Pictures show or Funimation with Seven Deadly Sins.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:46 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Angel M Cazares wrote:
Farhanawesome wrote:

Let’s not forget, Netflix has given regular licensors permission to use their dubs in the past, like Sentai with the Polygon Pictures show or Funimation with Seven Deadly Sins.

And Anime Limited/GKIDS/Madman with Evangelion. I'm a little surprised that happened since every other foreign Blu-ray release used their respective original dubs, since the Netflix redubs were off-limits.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:09 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
And Anime Limited/GKIDS/Madman with Evangelion. I'm a little surprised that happened since every other foreign Blu-ray release used their respective original dubs, since the Netflix redubs were off-limits.

With the slight exception of Germany since the movies are subtitled-only in Leonine's release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2