• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NieR:Automata Action RPG Gets TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:06 am Reply with quote
2B in 2D. Please! I can't wait to see the dress break and ladder climb.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:13 am Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:
But the only actual breaking we get is our hearts instead. Cause we're just thinking about how much we want to spoiler[yet again see the painful death of] 2B, aren't we?
alice32

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:27 am Reply with quote
The news was leaked a few weeks before it was officially announced. Today, the same leaker said that A-1 Pictures is the production studio
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:49 am Reply with quote
alice32 wrote:
The news was leaked a few weeks before it was officially announced. Today, the same leaker said that A-1 Pictures is the production studio

No, no, no! Crying or Very sad

Oh dear. After all the delays with 86, I'm not sure I can keep trusting them.
cchigu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:05 am Reply with quote
A-1 pictures is something I can put my trust in, their most recent adaptation in Kaguya-sama is fantastic!
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:29 am Reply with quote
cchigu wrote:
A-1 pictures is something I can put my trust in, their most recent adaptation in Kaguya-sama is fantastic!

It REALLY depends on the staff since A-1 Pictures overall can be pretty variable. I do wonder if the anime will take a different route from the game, stage plays, or other mediums it was on.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:37 am Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:

i just hope they hire the key animator that worked in love live, minami ke and bofuri, you know the ones who loves butt shots and will add them out of nowhere.

or some people from.the Keijo staff, that would work too.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:27 am Reply with quote
A properly budgeted anime set in the world of Nier 2 or Drakengard 1 is a good idea but the story of Automata works because it is a game and because of the perspective shifts. The show could switch art styles to match what the game did but as if that will happen. Game anime have never worked and this is about as bad a match as you can get. This show failed before it even began, A-1 or not. Lol A-1.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:52 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
But the story of Automata works because it is a game and because of the perspective shifts.
Huh? Automata story is easy as heck to depict in TV series, because outside the spoiler[C/D endings that counteract against each other], the narrative of it is actually nearly straightforward (unlike first NieR), and can fit just right without a lot of adjustments to make up.

Like really, if something like Higurashi that have more complicated branched structure in it's script can work in anime medium - it's not as hard to make Automata fit into that either. Wink Wink

Last edited by WANNFH on Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Raebo101

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:54 am Reply with quote
I just wanna see how they adapt Akihiko Yoshida's wonderful character designs to animation Smile
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:00 am Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
I just wanna see how they adapt Akihiko Yoshida's wonderful character designs to animation Smile
Well, that sure gonna be interesting, considering Yoshida designs in Automata is wildly different from his usual art style, which we seen adapted in anime already with Maquia.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:49 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
A properly budgeted anime set in the world of Nier 2 or Drakengard 1 is a good idea but the story of Automata works because it is a game and because of the perspective shifts. The show could switch art styles to match what the game did but as if that will happen. Game anime have never worked and this is about as bad a match as you can get. This show failed before it even began, A-1 or not. Lol A-1.

I agree that it's not a good match. Also, by "Nier 2", do you mean RepliCant/Gestalt? There were perspective shifts in that, so I'm not sure an anime would work there, either. Drakengard's somewhat more straightforward, at least. Some of the NieR side content (like the YorHa Boys play/novel) might make good anime as well.

The DrakenNier content I'd like to see the most is something set in between the events of Drakengard and NieR RepliCant/Gestalt. Maybe one day...
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:52 am Reply with quote
This is the first adaption of a Yoko Taro game, yes? I can understand on the level of how popular they are but at the same time they'll have to be really careful to get this right...although it probably helps that Taro is supervising it himself.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Loved the game, so I’m cautiously optimistic they can pull this off.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:08 pm Reply with quote
The anime needs to be 24-25 episodes. The first half can cover both 2B and 9S route since both routes happen at the same time with most of the same story anyway. Second half can cover the the third playthrough.

It should be fine story wise, I don't think it can get butchered that much. The problem is the quality and how it will look.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2