• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: America's Cartoon Network to Run Blue Dragon This Spring

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nebs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:22 pm Reply with quote
<dramatic>...Only Toonami!</dramatic>

Or at least I would assume so, anyway. We need something more than Naruto, One Piece, & DBZ reruns in that block already.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Another anime based on a video game....why do I have a bad feeling about this? Question
MetatronM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:
<dramatic>...Only Toonami!</dramatic>

Or at least I would assume so, anyway. We need something more than Naruto, One Piece, & DBZ reruns in that block already.

You're correct. Blue Dragon and Bakugan are apparently going to be replacing One Piece and DBZ in April.

So Toonami is going to go from one show worth watching (FUNi's One Piece) to none. Super.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:57 pm Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:

You're correct. Blue Dragon and Bakugan are apparently going to be replacing One Piece and DBZ in April.[/quote]

Whatwhatwhat!? Where did you hear about that? They can't take One Piece off, that's just retarded! Evil or Very Mad I don't think I'll ever forgive them if they did!

Oh well, as long as Naruto's still on there it's always worth watching. Wink Besides, I won't believe it unless I see proof of it anyway. Whatever the case though, It'll definitely be nice to see Blue Dragon on there, I've been waiting a little while to catch that one.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Apparently the advance schedules are making the rounds, and that's the plan. One Piece is apparently going to go into repeats somewhere else on CN.

It looks like that's going to happen after exactly 26 FUNi dubbed episodes will have aired, so it's possible that was the initial order. Not to mention FUNi is trying to do multiple dubs of each episode at the same time while also apparently trying to work out releasing the earlier episodes in the series (which may or may not be what they're releasing on DVD in May), so I'm sure they need the broadcasting break too.

One Piece's ratings have been going up ever since the FUNimation switchover, so I have to imagine it will return...eventually.
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Rumor also has it that Toonami's Bakugan and Blue Dragon airings will also be encores from Dynamite Action Squad (CN's Saturday morning block).

So yeah...Toonami's going to be one hour of Naruto fillers, and one hour of encore airings. Awesome, huh? Confused
bakaShin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:35 pm Reply with quote
why couldnt the game use the anime storyline or manga. it was so much better. i wonder if they are gonna use the same VA as the game because i didn't care for it too much but at least it would be consistent.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:00 pm Reply with quote
While the video game's storyline was very straight forward a simplistic, the anime's storyline is kinda a mixture of fan fiction and common Shounen fare. General Rogi's squad looks like something out of a fan fiction. The first 5-6 episodes suck though.
lord-darkseid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:49 am Reply with quote
Ummm... You might want to re-word that headline a bit. For a brief bit, I thought you were saying USA (the cable channel) and Cartoon Network were one in the same. Just saying...
daedelus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:27 am Reply with quote
I guess this means we'll be seeing a DVD release eventually too. Cool

I need to get to work and finish the game. Lost Odyssey has been monopolizing my time.
BluMeino

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:49 am Reply with quote
Wow, they're running more mindless shounen probably designed to sell something? Big surprise here.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
bakaShin wrote:
why couldnt the game use the anime storyline or manga. it was so much better. i wonder if they are gonna use the same VA as the game because i didn't care for it too much but at least it would be consistent.

If I recall, most of Blue Dragon's cast are English dub VAs(like Mona Marshall), and LA-based to boot, so I'm hoping it'll use the same cast, if only for consistency. Would be nice to see Crispin Freeman in there somewhere though. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, it can't be entirely bad- the manga is from the guy who did Death Note. (Formerly known as "the guy who did Hikaru no Go.")
Son-kun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Well, it can't be entirely bad- the manga is from the guy who did Death Note. (Formerly known as "the guy who did Hikaru no Go.")

Except the story's different from the video game. It's more of an adaptation from the video game than a spin-off like the manga.

Quote:
Wow, they're running more mindless shounen probably designed to sell something? Big surprise here.

Eh, mindless? Not really. It helps keep the momentum and interest for future games in Japan. With Blue Dragon Plus coming to the DS, it's not really much of a surprise.
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Sounds pretty good to me,personally,I don't have a problem with most video game animes,as long as they can do it correctly,the only video game based animes I've ever liked which did the the job right are the Rockman.EXE animes and Bomberman Jetters

anyway,onto the subject in hands,if Blue dragon does come to Toonami,heres my ideas on what they should do,first things first is, the second Naruto is the first thing that needs to go( I mean come on,adment it,theres way too much naruto as it is), and second, they defentilly need to take DBZ off the air for good,I mean,they've been overplaying the crap out of it for ages since 1997(the Moltar days)

because replacing Funimation onepiece would be one of they're stupidest desicions,because Onepiece defentilly deserves more populariety here in the U.S,because every arc in Onepiece is new and exciting(especially with it's current japanese thrilller bark arc,)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2