• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kubo Won't Let Me Be Invisible Manga Gets TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psajdak

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 5:12 am Reply with quote
Is it okay to say that Kana Hanazawa is the biggest female seiyu in history at this point?

Putting aside Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Digimon, and some other stuff that I watch in late 90s, and early 2000s, I seriously started to get into anime around 2006, and actually to notice seiyu, what is happening in anime industry.

I would eventually find out about giantesses like Kikuko Inoue, Aya Hisakawa, Kikuko Inoue, Aya Hirano, Rie Kugimiya, and maybe the biggest of them all Megumi Hayashibara, and many others...

First of all, let me say that in 99% cases, regardless of how popular they are, I thought that seiyu were correctly casted, and always did a great job - even in 80s, like it is the case with Mari Iijima with the role of her life, Lynn Minmay, despite obviously not being a professional voice actress, she still made her charming in some classic way.

That being said, I don't think any of them so far had a such an explosion of success, and popularity as Kana Hanazawa did, starting with the late 2000s, being especially strong in 2010s, and continuing to this day.

Super recognizable voice, great acting skills, overall popularity among fans...

Is there any other seiyu, not counting those who are musicians like Nana Mizuki (although to be fair, she really wasn't so active as voice actress for a while now), who are above Kana Hanazawa?
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 5:55 am Reply with quote
I'm off "teasing love interest" anime after Nagatoro infuriated me. Is this one better?
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 6:27 am Reply with quote
Another trope being milked. I have the first volume on order, so we'll see if it's any good.
09jcg

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 6:42 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
I'm off "teasing love interest" anime after Nagatoro infuriated me. Is this one better?
I read the first volume of this, and I liked Nagatoro alot more. That said, I like Nagatoro in general. How far into Nagatoro did you get, early Nagatoro versus late Nagatoro is a very different beast.
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 6:51 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

Nagatoro is the best one by far, but I imagine you won't have a problem with this since it doesn't have mean spirited teasing like Nagatoro had early on and it's on the lighter /wholesome side of things from the beginning.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:01 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

I read many of them and Nagatoro would be among the last one to consider as reference for this kind of mangas considering how incomparable it is to the others's characteristics, especially its dynamics.

Kubo is much closer to Takagi-san, with a better heroine and a (much) less interesting protagonist.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 9:28 am Reply with quote
Yune Amagiri wrote:

I read many of them and Nagatoro would be among the last one to consider as reference for this kind of mangas considering how incomparable it is to the others's characteristics, especially its dynamics.

Kubo is much closer to Takagi-san, with a better heroine and a (much) less interesting protagonist.

Yeah, that is exactly my impression as well as they are not very comparable and Kubo is closer to Takagi-san.

This announcement is not a surprise though. This manga was voted 7th at last year's 次にくるマンガ大賞.
Ampharos

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 11:21 am Reply with quote
This looks like it could be cute. I'm gonna check out the manga in the meantime.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why anyone is comparing Kubo to Nagatora when their dynamic is not even close to being the same.

Kubo is a top tier girl with a purposely bland protagonist.
tywhoppity

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Wholesome overload incoming let's gooooooooooo! The idea behind the series is like a male version of Komi, where Kubo is the force behind Junta's (the protagonist who is so bland he's virtually invisible) growth.

High level waifu alert: I hope there's plenty of Kubo's big sister Akina in the show!(And that's she's voiced by Ai Kayano) Wink
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Yune Amagiri wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

Speaking as someone who became physically nauseous reading Takagi-san, I'd say Kubo's much gentler.
Swissman

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 2:59 pm Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
Yune Amagiri wrote:

Yeah, that is exactly my impression as well as they are not very comparable and Kubo is closer to Takagi-san.

I don't think Kubo-san ressembles Takagi-san very much. It's main heroine and hero, their relationship, the plot and the drawings remind me more of romcoms with a strong shoujo-manga vibe than anything else, whereas Takagi-san definitely feels like a shounen romcom with a I-wish-she-could-be-my-girlfriend-type of cute main heroine.

P.S.: Kubo Won't let me be invisible is nice, but Karakai jouzu Takagi-san is better. The best currently running romcom however is by far BokuYaba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I've heard good things about this. Will definitely check it out!
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, having read pretty much all the chapters available on Viz right now, the Nagatoro comparisons aren't really close at all. Kubo's teasing is both not nearly as frequent nor as aggressive. It's mostly here prodding at Shiraishi to step out of his bubble and to stop being such a defeatist about himself. It is more similar to Takagi-san but Shiraishi isn't nearly as aggressive or prideful as Nishikata, with more a depressed and sarcastic edge to his dialogue.
Fred Dorcas

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I know this is gonna be so totally lame, like face-palm lame, but I just gotta do it, while the iron's hot on this one:

Kubo Won't Let Me Be Like Clay Aiken

Sorry, I couldn't help but make that joke, with the title name having "Invisible" on it and all. I was thinking of the song "Invisible" by Clay Aiken when I saw the title, so... Yeah.

*Ahem* Now then... This looks like a cute series to check out, me being into rom-com anime and all. I heard of this as a manga not long ago, and I predicted to myself that this one would get an anime adaptation, and sure enough, it did! I'll be sure to tune in for this one when it airs (Hanazawa Kana being the VA for the main girl is all the more reason for me to give this one a go when it comes time)!

Last edited by Fred Dorcas on Sat May 14, 2022 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2